PDA

View Full Version : Today off Moreton

TREVELLY
28-08-2011, 07:28 PM
You don't have to read any further - I will tell you the end result was zero!
I will tell you what we tried and what we saw.
Left ramp 6.30am 30 minutes at Scarby reef - no live bait, then tried a few channel markers for none, then went to Tangalooma wrecks and 2 hours later 3 live baits.
Off to Hutchies and beyond.
Water was a bit bumpy at end of Moreton but not too bad.
Got to mark and put down a livebait on electric downrigger with 10lb weight and trolled it for 45 minutes till the prop severed the 200lb braid and lost interest in that method then with weight gone along with most of the braid - no strikes on livie.
Drifted several times with pillies, squid and tuna for no bites.
Went to Hutchies close and drifted and used the manual downrigger and a livie with a 3lb weight for half hour - nothing. Tried drifting again with a livie and baits as before for nothing - yes there were good shows on the sounder but only pickers.
Fair amount of surface activity with macktuna chasing matchsticks and eating nothing else - they were everywhere. We trolled two skirted lures for a couple of hours hoping something worthwhile as there were baitfish and tuna about and you never know.
Trolled Hutchies for a few circles then past the exposed bommie (Flinders) towards Moreton and onto Brennans shoal for nothing.
Fished Brennans shoal with, live baits, squid, pillies and kingie jigging for one snag and no bites.
Saw a few whales - very shy - suppose with calves.
No current to speak of.
Wind was pushing us on drift at 3 to 4kph.
Water temp 18-19 deg and clear blue.
Back at ramp mid arvo. The weather for the day was nice - nothing of yesterdays weather.
Last trip out was two bonito at $75/kg this time $150 fuel burn for zero fish that would equate to a figure greater than US debt per kilogram.
Carnster goes out and catches plenty for little cost - I would have to be pretty much his opposite with results.
Got home said to SWMBO I got nothing and she said - I am getting used to it.
Would like to brag about something, but . . . still it was nice weather out there.

Bull
28-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Trev,
I feel for you at least the boat got a good run :) always next week
Cheers Bull

rosco1974
28-08-2011, 08:37 PM
i hear you trev,have gone back to my old stomping ground in the bay to get a feed the last few trips.but hope to get offshore again soon.

Good_as_Gold
28-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Thats no good mate Im pretty much hitting the sme ground on tuesday Hope I have better luck.

jason p
28-08-2011, 09:10 PM
mate, just think back, no green jocks, no bananas or pictures of, even the lollie type,boats name never been changed,broken any mirrors, walked under a ladder:D;D only jokes mate. atlest your getting out there and giving it a go and enjoying the water. it can only get better. maybe try tying a rabbits foot to the end of your rod;D. just blame it on the northerlies even if it was se works for me lol.

cheers jp

TREVELLY
28-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Yep, bit of a dud run.
Thanks Bull - I think I will pass next weekend - family have other plans - I certainly can't swing the vote with my recent results.
Rosco I am waiting for the pelalgics and reefies to fire up now. I think the warmer water has impacted the snapper. Guess we just had no luck on the prolific YTK others are finding can't say we didn't try - three reefs and a wreck.
Let us know how you go Tuesday G-as-G. I hope you have better luck too mate.
Hear what you are saying Jason - worked so hard for the useless livebaits too. Yeah those damn SW to SE northerlies.
Took out old boss and neighbour - after 3 false starts before this trip with them - I worked real hard for the nothing result.
If anyone took out small lures matching the matchstick baits out there you would have some fun on light tackle with the tuna - saw some larger tuna in one school - small barrels about 1m long.

outwide1
29-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Might be time to start looking outside the square Trev.

TREVELLY
29-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Might be time to start looking outside the square Trev.

I thought getting the live baits and using the downrigger was that. :)

I tried vertical kingie jigging, three types of dead baits, live baits, spinning, trolling - last weekend drifting pillies and squid almost unweighted down a burley trail on light braid near the shelf on Hards - I am not about to try fly fishing the mack-tuna, I could get them with tiny lures if they were my target.

Other than fishing in the bay (Scarby reef and markers were marine deserts) I could go to the shelf and use electrics to 500m.

Sometimes you can try too many things rather than persist but I gave most efforts over an hour of stubborn persistence before changing.

I am open to suggestions. ;)

But in fairness I have had a great run till now - so not worried just reporting what I tried and how it went. :)

I think with fishing - it happens.

It can't be me - it must be the fish at fault here. ;D

Edmo
29-08-2011, 04:48 PM
yeah, I think weve all been there mate. Sometimes I think what outwide said makes sense, try somethin new, take a chance on a new spot or rig or lure/bait. someone once said "do what you`ve always done and you`ll get what you`ve always got". Or you can just wait for the pelajics to show :)

Boat Hog
29-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Trev,
I know where you're coming from. Been there done that and guess what .... will probably do it again!:'(

No current to speak of.

This may be the culprit?

Maybe you should get a deck of cards and label them up with "Bait type" "Lure/Tackle type" "Fishing Method" and "Location". Then deal yourself a hand and head out on the water.;D;D;D

Cheers,

Vitamin Sea
29-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Trev

Mate we have all had black spots, even pro's, stick with it, it will turn around. Pull out the pots for something different, it's just about that time of year again.

Cheers

Bill

Floating Rib
29-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Trev you tried things i dont even know how to do, pretty sad when even livies dont attract any interest, im glad my boat is a bit cheaper to run as i catch jack s#$t a lot of the time, but if you dont go youll never know. Im heading off the Pin tommorrow so fingers crossed for a feed at least.

jason p
29-08-2011, 07:55 PM
lol theres no doubt about it, we have ALL been there and we will ALL have more days like it from time to time. when i have days like this im just appreciative i have a boat to enjoy my time on the water, fish or no fish, id rather be on the water than being on land. its always good to read a report even if theres no fish caught, it's a good heads up on were is not so hot and what techniques are not working for those areas, so for that cheers.

jp

fisho8
29-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Well all I can say Trev it is good to get out on the water you own a Beautiful Boat mate and were lucky enough to be out on the Bay on such an awsome day. I was nearly crying going over the bridge to work this morning haha thinking what an awsome day it would have been offshore today or just out on the Bay. I have yet to take my new Boat offshore at all as the only offshore fishing I have done is on charter boats. So all I can say is I will let everyone know when I am going and you can all come out and have a good laugh at a guy who can admit will have a limited knowlege of offshore fishing more than likely get in someones way or at least give someone the shits out there and come home with nothing to show for my travels. My first offshore report should be an interesting one. The thing I love most is being out on the water catching a good size fish is a bonus bragging wrights aside fishing in Moreton bay on a day like today inshore/offshore mate I could not wish for anything more.

andyl73
30-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Know the feeling couldn't catch a livey at any beacons myself yesterday scratched together a bit of a feed off the Cape but was out for 14hrs to get that