PDA

View Full Version : Importing Ally Plate Boat From China

ryangler
28-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Guys,
Looking at buying my first boat and looking to import one from china. Ive just moved to Karratha, im a keen fisho/diver and i want to get into the amazing fishing i keep hearing about up here. After doing a little research general consensus is
- ally for first boat, its more forgiving
- ally more economical to run
- ally ruff ride though
- 17ft good size to get offshore whilst still being managable if I take it out by myself
- centre cosole best fishing/diving boat but a wet ride (not an issue up here, 30c min days)
- cuddy cabin good compromise for more shelter

started looking online as I wasnt going to get what I wanted in my budget and found these
Custom Catermarine
17ft cat centre console
http://www.custom-catamarine.com/Pro_cot.asp?id=74
http://www.custom-catamarine.com/files/latest%20%20Brochure%20%205.2cc.pdf

chris69
29-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Nice looking cat the ryangler how will you go getting it certified or a complience plate to get it regestered you might have to get a marine engineer to do that and it could cost just over a $1000 but if you are landing it here cheap enough it could be a good option as i see it it would only be makeing it positive bouyant by filling the 2 hulls with foam ,if there not allready.

No Fear
29-08-2011, 08:57 PM
That looks like a sweet ride....I'd love some feedback but doubt whether anyone would have had the nads to import one yet....Im going to do some online searches and if they are pretty cheap yet well built, Id be going over there for a water test......nice looking rig though

ryangler
29-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Got a price for 2x 60hp suzukis with hydralic steering 17,500us fitted called around a few dealer in perth today 23-23.5k so i might get the engines fitted over there aswell

still awaiting hull quotes requested the following

Hello,
Im interested in purchasing one of your boats and would like to get a quote on the following

Centre Console 5.2cc, with the following options
- capstan 12v winch
- stainless achor
- 50m of stainless chain
- fire ext cabinet
- transom gate
- 2x tackel box
- 6 rocket launcher
- kill tank
- aeration for bait tank
- triple axle trailer

im also interested in the following options but just have some questions about the options
- underfloor storage - where does this go? how big is the storage? do you have photos? how much$ ?
- high presure deck wash - is this an on board presure cleaner? does it consume much space? how much$ ?
- esky seat - where does this go? do you have photos? how much $?
- bench seat with under seat esky - where does this go? how much $?
- dual axle trailer - is the dual axle trailer not suitable for australian road use?

also a quote for

Centre Cab 5.95cab, with the following options

- capstan 12v winch
- stainless achor
- 50m of stainless chain
- fire ext cabinet
- transom gate
- 2x tackel box
- 6 rocket launcher
- kill tank
- aeration for bait tank
- drive on trailer trailer (is this australian compliant)

im also interested in the under floor storage, but where does it do?
also do you have any photos of a built Centre Cab 5.95cab? other then the drawings

Other questions I have
- can you supply out boards? if so how much?
- can you organise shipping to australia? if so hbow much is this usally roughly?
- how do you accept payment?
- what kind of delivery time from downpayment?

Im ready to buy now so your prompt reply will be much appreciated.

Regards Ryan

captain red beard
29-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Pretty sure they had one of those centre consoles at the Mackay boat show earlier in the year, even the same colour. Forgot who was selling them though. Maybe someone on here recalls?

You would def need to have a good look at it b4 you buy. The one I saw was pretty poor quality, looked like I welded it..
Cheers Red Beard

Aussie123
29-08-2011, 10:31 PM
I am pretty sure two of their pontoon boats was just at the Brisbane boat show.
We crawled all over them and the workmanship and welding was just perfect.
They were by far one of the best finished boats at the show.

ryangler
30-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah based on photos off there sight they where at the mackay boat show, interesting what you say though

aussie123, thats promising.

for me it all comes down to dollars and cents, if i can get on the water, safely, with a new boat and new out boards, for the price or there abouts of a second hand boat in WA. Than for me its something i would have to seriously consider.

If somebody is selling them in australia already the quality must be there. Glass half full thinking maybe though :)

ryangler
30-08-2011, 07:51 PM
They got back to me today :)
5.2 centre console with options listed above
5.95 centre cab with options listed above

and apparently they have boats in australia for water test, hmm decisions decisions

waterbouy
30-08-2011, 08:20 PM
So what is the total price for the finished boat, trailer and motors inc. freight/ delivery and tax/s in AU$ ???

ryangler
30-08-2011, 08:46 PM
when they replied to my email it was alittle vague. But they did give me a mobile number of a guy called shane, an english speaking rep in the factory who I will call tomorrow to clarify everything.

Then, do some shopping around in australia to compare prices.

At the end of the day if the savings are only a few thousand then I would rather support local business, but if the savings are substantial then i will need to think with my hip pocket in mind

Crocodile
30-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello ryangler,

This is all very well but in the future when your kids are working for $1.50 a day you may look back and wonder.
Boats are a huge luxury, if you can afford a boat have it made in Australia and buy your kids a job.

Salad Fingers
31-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello ryangler,

This is all very well but in the future when your kids are working for $1.50 a day you may look back and wonder.
Boats are a huge luxury, if you can afford a boat have it made in Australia and buy your kids a job.

yeh because the $60k that ryangler is throwing around to purchase a boat just came out of thin air .... get ya hand off it.
local jobs created that $60k in the first place, it doesn't matter a great deal if that then goes to china or back into the local economy.

Crocodile
31-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Hello Salad,

I think that your understanding of economics may be faulty.
Once the money goes offshore, it is gone.
If the money is spent locally, it pays the wages of the staff at the boatshop, who then buy bread from the baker, and so it goes on.
Economists call it the multiplier effect.
I don't know what you do far a living but consider your chances when whatever you produce is available cheaper offshore.

adam69
31-08-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11169533http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11165755
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11161877

some big markup!!!

Camhawk88
31-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Look like nice rigs. Gotta ask but- why a tri-axle under a 5.2m ali? Seems like Major overkill.
Most glass cats under 24ft would only have dual axles. Reckon you could knock some $s off by going the dual axle- check the wieght as even a single axle may do it.

Camhawk88
31-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Hello Salad,

Hello ryangler,

Boats are a huge luxury, if you can afford a boat have it made in Australia and buy your kids a job. .

Checkout the links Adam provided.
So as an individual you think this guy shouldnt spend 50k overseas but rather spend $60k in Australia- $45-50k of which ends up in china anyway?
Im all for Australian jobs but buggered if Im would spend an additional 10% of my yearly income just to keep a dealership who imports their goods going.
Each to their own but I reckon laying on a guilt trip is a bit rich.

a couple of other points-

A boat is most certainly not a luxury item but a necessity- especially in the Pilbara.

When my kids are working for $1.50 a day it means I have won the lotto and become very generous!

marto78
31-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Pretty sure they had one of those centre consoles at the Mackay boat show earlier in the year, even the same colour. Forgot who was selling them though. Maybe someone on here recalls?

You would def need to have a good look at it b4 you buy. The one I saw was pretty poor quality, looked like I welded it..
Cheers Red Beard

Classic, you had better steer clear of these boats ryangler if they don't split in half they will definetley leak a lot :P lol

ryangler
31-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks for that adam69, gives me an idea of there mark up

makes you wonder how much these things actually cost the manufacturer

adam69
01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Sweet FA i reckon, im mean they might be getting a couple of buxs a day lol - but they 5.95 does look like a good boat!!!

PB
01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Only time will tell with these things, I expected them to be cheaper than what they are advertised for (a lot cheaper). At this stage i think the only good thing they have in there favor is the guy who designed them (Australian Designer). there are a few Australian boat builders that have access to the same designs (including us) that would do a much better job for not that much more. personnel i don't think there that cheap.

nautimax
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
mate...buy Australia...if the local market products aren't up to your std's then buy Kiwi...you cannot go wrong with local engineering...

Jarrah Jack
10-09-2011, 09:23 PM
mate...buy Australia...if the local market products aren't up to your std's then buy Kiwi...you cannot go wrong with local engineering...

Not saying that os is better or worse but there are many threads on here with problematic locally made boat engineering.

PinHead
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Hello ryangler,

I suppose everything in your house is Australian made?
I know most things I have are imported.

PinHead
11-09-2011, 05:13 PM

can every Australian manufacturer state which naval architect designed every boat they built..or do they just design them themselves. That is a question i have asked myself a lot of times with all the plate builders around..who designs their boats and what qualifications do they have in boat design?

vertico
11-09-2011, 09:53 PM
looks nice but how are the welds under the floor ?

nautimax
14-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Not saying that os is better or worse but there are many threads on here with problematic locally made boat engineering.

...true, but wouldn't you agree that local engineering (boating) is improving?

nautimax
14-09-2011, 11:25 AM
can every Australian manufacturer state which naval architect designed every boat they built..or do they just design them themselves. That is a question i have asked myself a lot of times with all the plate builders around..who designs their boats and what qualifications do they have in boat design?

I think I know what you mean...there is an AU std for plate boats but the gray areas still remains. e.g. if you import a boat your name has to go on the ABP plate as the "builder"...

Crocodile
15-09-2011, 07:21 AM
I suppose everything in your house is Australian made?
I know most things I have are imported.

Hello Pinhead,

glad you asked, because wherever possible I do buy the Oz product even if it costs more.

TREVELLY
15-09-2011, 07:42 AM
We get mineral processing plants made and have the option of Chinese made versus OZ made - unfortunately the comparison is not good for Australia:-

$6K a tonne manufactured in China and delivered to site

$24K a tonne manufactured here and delivered to site.

Workmanship from China is better than locally done from what we have seen and inspected professionally.

Size of our projects ranging from small at 350 tonnes to large over 2000 tonnes so a lot of work to look at and compare.

My boat is a Noble manufactured in China designed in OZ.

I am not afraid of their workmanship it is good (can be bad as with anywhere too) and yes I am critical, I am an engineer and I am the one taking it to the shelf and back.

Australia needs to be more competitive or at least work on areas in value adding where we can compete.

Ryangler do be careful about importing engines - Suzuki have a campain about no warrantee on what they call grey or imported engines - you may be happy to no have a warrantee with the saving you make but at least consider it. I believe their argument was that motors are fitted to suit local fuels - seals etc - you may need to check this closely - if you look up Suzuki and grey motors you should just look into it and be aware.

Stu Dows
15-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I went to the Brissy Boat show with another welding / Metal Fab teacher and we saw examples of good and bad from both AU and o/s I believe design is so important for aluminium structures, too often great workmanship or welding is blamed for poor design.

Jarrah Jack
15-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I went to the Brissy Boat show with another welding / Metal Fab teacher and we saw examples of good and bad from both AU and o/s I believe design is so important for aluminium structures, too often great workmanship or welding is blamed for poor design.

Very true, I had a Savage Lancer once, beautiful welds and workmanship. Fell apart after two years due to crap specifications.