PDA

View Full Version : outboard wont start after 9 months of sittting arround

gros21
28-08-2011, 12:30 PM
ive gota a 40hp 92 merc im trying to sell it but the engine won't start.

ive got fresh fuel and flushed all the lines to the outboard.

when i pull the pull starter it feels quite stiff.

any ideas?

netmaker
28-08-2011, 12:58 PM
hi gros21.
that would make it a bit harder to sell. have you checked for spark? might just need new plugs.
davo

Roughasguts
28-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Stiff as in constant load ??? or feel compression resistance say 3 or 4 each pull???

Crocodile
28-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Hello Gros21,

Was it running OK 9 months ago?
Stiff, is that constant stiff or is it the bumps of compression that you feel?
Have you removed the sparkplugs and checked for freedom of movement?
Any scraping/rubbing sounds when turned over without the sparkplugs?

Being very careful to not get zapped - Checked for spark at each plug?

Is it elecric start?
Is it turning over or not?
Does it kick at all?

This is just to establish a baseline.
Good luck!

robothefisho
28-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Have you drained the carbies?
Thatd be a real good place to start.

gros21
28-08-2011, 03:08 PM
ok 9 moths ago it was running but hasn't had much use in 2 years.

pull start 4 cylinder 2 carb 40 hp.

i can't remember how stiff it was 9 montsh ago.

its stiff as in compression stiff a lighter bloke would wanta damm good fitting to get it 2 crank.

i havent looked at teh plugs yet ive been flat out 2day with getting ready for going out of town.

would giving her a spray of carp cleaner or start ya bastard do any good.

in netural propeller spins freely both one
put in hear it wont spinone way but other way makes a ratching sound.

doesnt even sound liek it wants to start

gros21
28-08-2011, 03:09 PM
drain the carbs how do i do that then do i just pump some fresh fuel through the lines?
is it as easy as it sounds?

robothefisho
28-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, as simple as it sounds and probably the only problem. There will be a drain screw at the bottom of each carb, open this screw,let the fuel drain out. Then prime again and you will have fresh fuel going to the motor.

gazza2006au
28-08-2011, 03:28 PM
remove the spark plugs and see how easy it is to turn the engine over by the pull starter if there is resistance u might have rusted rings on the piston from sitting without being fogged

gros21
28-08-2011, 04:02 PM
no worries ill havea look for carb drain next weekend do ineed to remove carbs or any thing? and is it just agrub screw?

Crocodile
28-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Hello gros21,

Good news that it was running OK.
I think that you need to check spark and fuel.
Be careful to not get zapped as outboards have much hotter spark than a lawnmower etc.
Pull the plugs and check for spark.
**** By the way, are you sure that the ignition is on and that the kill lanyard(if fitted) is in the run position.****
If you get good spark then try the carbies.
If it is a two cylinder motor, one carbie or two?
When you drain the fuel try to catch it to see if there is dirt/sludge etc.
Catching the fuel also helps revent fire!!!!!.
After draining, as you squeeze the primer you should be able to hear the petrol squirt into the carbs, if not you have a fuel blockage before the carbs.

cgibbo308
28-08-2011, 05:47 PM
the drains on the carbs should be a small bolt on the bottom of each one.
draining the carbs may do nothing. having been sitting for that long the jets may be clogged with crap.
A few things i was told with engines no matter what they are.
if they have sat for any decent amount of time, never try to start them without pulling the plugs and giving them a small shot of oil.
b4 you even turn fuel on or connect the lines, you add the oil, leaving the plugs out and turn it over by hand a few times just to lube
the bores up a bit first. as my late dad used to love to remind me. there are only two things all engines need. fuel and spark. easy things first.. make sure there is spark then fuel.

TopBhoy
28-08-2011, 07:12 PM
This will come across as harsh but based on the above information so far, I wouldn't want to be the poor bugger who bought this engine.

Have it professionally serviced.

gros21
28-08-2011, 07:31 PM
its a <$2000 boat done what it wanted to now im in to kayaking.

yep the swich on the tiller steer is up.
4 cylinder twin carb.

yea at least of i flush to the carbs i know its nota fuel issue.

kinda think its the carbs gummed up.

is there a easy fix to un gum them. carby butter flys do open.

whats a service cost?

mustang5
29-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Take plugs out, squirt little bit of fuel into cylinders, put plugs back in. One hard yank and if shes got spark she will run and clean the crap out pretty quickly.

Its amazing what a bit of persuasion can do when they wont start.

Monza
29-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Can of 'Start yer barstard' should cause it to fire up straight away. May be enough to get it going properly. If no bang, then may be a spark issue.

cormorant
29-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Start ya bastard is a bastard of a thing to do to a 2 stroke. Means that ether is run through the crankcase and strips oil off bearings and then moror starts without lubrication in top and bottom end.- not good. Depending on compression / timing of motor you can also end up with engine damage.

Propper fuel oil going through at least wets and lubes a 2 stroke before it fires normally so solve the fuel and spark issue and you will have a running motor. Don't g revving the crap ourt of it and I would add a little extra oild to lube it up for the first run.

Once started keep a eye on the telltail especially if the motor diesn't have a overheat alarm as impellers left stationary have a tedancy to fail. Make sure you be honest with the buyer that the motor hasn't been serviced and imp should be replaced. Risking not doing a carby service may mean the motor runs lean and may detonate if ther eis gum and blockage.

For future reference when putting a boat away it is best if you run it off a tote tank with a bit of extra oil and a stabiliser in the fuel , fog it with a fogging oil drain down teh carbs and fuel lines a sit protects the bores and bearings and restarting is not much extra hassle- just a bit of smoke and replace the plugs. Turning it over in storage ensures everything stays free with a little extra fog and turning gearbox the same.

If there is no other cause I really don't like the sound of a "stiff motor" as it may indicate rust on the bores , binding rings and possibly bearings with rust on em. Takes a lot of life out of a motor and may be the early death of it depending on how bad.

Let us know how you go and if teh motor has any odd clicking, rattling sounds once you have it started

Noelm
29-08-2011, 02:05 PM
ok 9 moths ago it was running but hasn't had much use in 2 years.

pull start 4 cylinder 2 carb 40 hp.

i can't remember how stiff it was 9 montsh ago.

its stiff as in compression stiff a lighter bloke would wanta damm good fitting to get it 2 crank.

i havent looked at teh plugs yet ive been flat out 2day with getting ready for going out of town.

would giving her a spray of carp cleaner or start ya bastard do any good.

in netural propeller spins freely both one
put in hear it wont spinone way but other way makes a ratching sound.

doesnt even sound liek it wants to start
OK, as mentioned, DO NOT spray starting type fluid anywhere near it, DO NOT spray carb cleaner anywhere near it, dismantling and rebuilding carbs is the way to clean them, the propelllor situation seems to be pretty normal from what I can sypher out of the typos, let us know how it is going and we will get back to you.

Bros
29-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I had a similar problem after over 12mths idle. The problem is you can't get all the fuel out when running and the fuel and oil mix left in the Carby ends up turning to sticky substance and the float sticks to the bottom and won't move. The only alternative is to remove the carby and clean it out and blow out all the fuel passages with compressed air.
That will fix the fuel side.

gros21
29-08-2011, 06:53 PM
i had alook at the carbs late last nite. on the fuel bowlsthe bottom one has a nut and the top carb has line goin back up tp the top (vent)

my mate is looking at it this week end for me he is a engine guru and has a 25hp merc of the same style/era. his even keen to buy it once she is goin to leave at his parents at gladstone just to save him driving his boat 300km round trip almost fortnightly.

for $1500 u can't expect much but am being 100% honest and saying its barely been used in 2 years could do with a good service, plugs were done when i got it as were 2 fuel filters and gear box oil.

Guys that are looking at it only want it for a creek basher/1st boat boats a solid hull but if we cant get it going this week end i will get in the local outboard service guy and see what he says.