PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good fishing show ?

Scalem
27-08-2011, 04:11 PM
We have all watched a multitude of fishing shows over the years, but I've heard lots of opinions about what people like and dislike about the styles some of these guys have when presenting. As per usual, it's easier to be critical, gravitating to the dislikes.

Makes me wonder if I was the presenter with a cameraman in my face, I wouldn't be very good at trying to think of things to say either.. What are your likes and dislikes?

Scalem

charlie09
27-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Mate I hate fishing with ET. They way he "woo's" at every little thing just gets on my nerves. So much so that I either mute the TV or if im really pis@ed off I will change the channel. Pity cause sometime the show was informative or even interesting until those "woo's"!!

Cheers

The_Tub
27-08-2011, 04:52 PM
hi scalem

I think it looks glamorous,but like any success there's got to be alot of work put into it,as for the presenters i think you cant please everyone,look at some of the hosts and they go on with some crap but you still watch it,but i'd like to swap jobs for a month i'd rather get a sore back from fishing than screeding concrete any day.i have heaps of fishing shows my favorite is the malcolm florence collection

PinHead
27-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't watch any of them these days...nothing more boring than spending 5 minutes watching someone pump and wind as they are bringing a fish in. Just show the hook up and the last minute or so as the fish is landed. Very few go into much detail as to tackle used or method used.
I understand they have to mention sponsors names..everyone does that on any type of show. They pay the bills.

I cannot remember who they were..saw a bit of a show a while back..2 blokes..every time they hooked something one of them carried on like a 2 year old. I quickly turned that one off also.

They will never be really professional..the presenters are fishermen not trained entertainers and they are all done on limited budget.

Mnay years back there used to be a local show about boats..cannot remember the name of that either..World of Boating or something similar I think. They gave the boats are pretty good workout at times but the presenter was soooooooooooooooooooo boring. His voice just went into a continuous monotone.

Interesting topic Brian...not sure how you could make a fishing show "entertaining" to people that fish regularly.

finga
27-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Mnay years back there used to be a local show about boats..cannot remember the name of that either..World of Boating or something similar I think. They gave the boats are pretty good workout at times but the presenter was soooooooooooooooooooo boring. His voice just went into a continuous monotone.
Was that Chris Conroy's world of boats??

I don't watch fishing shows. I'd rather watch The Flintstones. That Barney cracks me up.
Actually I tell a lie. I watched a bit of Extreme Fishing (I think it was) the other day. Wasn't too bad to watch while having a cuppa.

About the most interesting fishing sort of programme I've seen was a couple of video's Heath put out.
They were very entertaining and I enjoyed them immensely.

theoldlegend
27-08-2011, 05:20 PM

I don't watch fishing shows. I'd rather watch The Flintstones. That Barney cracks me up.
Actually I tell a lie. I watched a bit of Extreme Fishing (I think it was) the other day. Wasn't too bad to watch while having a cuppa.

About the most interesting fishing sort of programme I've seen was a couple of video's Heath put out.

Wasn't Judge Judy on?

TOL

PinHead
27-08-2011, 05:24 PM

that was it..thanks Scott

MudRiverDan
27-08-2011, 05:34 PM
I get bored pretty quick watching folk catch Barra AND GT, seen it on TV too many times....

Scalem
27-08-2011, 05:41 PM
What motivated me to put up this topic I hear you ask? Oh no, he said it for the 10th time!! "Stop the bus!!" It's like the days of old all over again.... Yibbida yibida or however you are supposed to spell it.. :-?

Scalem

Feral
27-08-2011, 06:21 PM
This is when I'm dreamin right?

Big Boobs
Big Fish
No Sponsors
No adds
GPS Co-ords for all spots where fish were caught
Did I mention the big boobs?

PinHead
27-08-2011, 06:52 PM
This is when I'm dreamin right?

Big Boobs
Big Fish
No Sponsors
No adds
GPS Co-ords for all spots where fish were caught
Did I mention the big boobs?

what are you saying? You want Rex Hunt without a shirt on ?

Feral
27-08-2011, 07:29 PM
what are you saying? You want Rex Hunt without a shirt on ?

oh my eye's, I'll never see again!

Muddy Toes
27-08-2011, 08:11 PM
What motivated me to put up this topic I hear you ask? Oh no, he said it for the 10th time!! "Stop the bus!!" It's like the days of old all over again.... Yibbida yibida or however you are supposed to spell it.. :-?

Scalem

Stop the bus
Gone like last weeks pay
Strike pro does it again
and any reference where "JK" refers to himself in the third person does my head in!!

sandbankmagnet
27-08-2011, 08:24 PM
"The biggest mother lover of all mother lovers"
I can't watch JK. He is like pulling teeth.

I do like Mark Berg though. He seems pretty down to earth. And I like the concept of his show, where he takes noobs out to try and catch either a certain number of species or a size of fish to win a prize.

PinHead
27-08-2011, 08:58 PM
who is JK ?

Funchy
27-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey Scalem,

Great thread.

I am stuck here in the US for a while (Home in Dec). There are obviously a heap of fishing shows over here but my favourite is "The Fish Fishburne Show" It is actually a comedy based fishing show and he is quite funny, does not sell much of anything (The show is sponsored by his Grandmother!!!") but it is also quite educational.

Not much use to us Aussie fisherpeople (unless you are into bass fishing of course). Check the link to get an idea of his show.

http://www.fishfishburne.com/the_show.html

Sheik
27-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Actually funny you should ask Scalem. My wife caught me swearing at PW the other night about something ( I actually don't mind the show, just some things gt to me) and she said why don't you have a reality fishing show, like master chef, and call it master baiters.
She's pretty funny, but ok here's the go. What I would like to do is put a show on Bris 31 whereby a heap of us have to go out and catch a certain fish within moreton bay with either bait or lures or sp's. Could have them drawn out of a hat and the ones that don't catch are eliminated.
Anyone know the bris 31 people?
regards Jim

TimD
27-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Id rather watch any fishing show than half the crap on tv :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

Back In Black
28-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Any show that doesn't include Dave "Wooo Hooo" Buthead.
Sorry, Butfield!
Tony

thelump
28-08-2011, 07:06 AM
who is JK ?

Jason Kennedy. Rex hunt wannabe

thelump
28-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Personally I like Adventure Bound. Was good before Neil Tedesco died and I reckon the new guy Lee Rayner is quite bearable and informative. I dislike Paul Worsteling and the guy (whose name escapes me) that when on a charter or the like runs in when someone catches a fish and snatches it off them to show the camera.

tunaticer
28-08-2011, 07:33 AM
I do not mind the YouFish series that Winga did for Melbourne's channel 31. He took the camera out with average fishos and recorded how they made their catches in their environments. Good concept with pretty good representation of the local fisho. His later shows tend to revolve around two or three of his mates though, which is a shame. They do get onto some pretty good fishing for Victoria though.

The holy grail though was "A River Somewhere". I have the set on DVD and whack it on 4 or 5 times a year, I can't do that for any other fishing show.

Scalem
28-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Actually funny you should ask Scalem. My wife caught me swearing at PW the other night about something ( I actually don't mind the show, just some things gt to me) and she said why don't you have a reality fishing show, like master chef, and call it master baiters.
She's pretty funny, but ok here's the go. What I would like to do is put a show on Bris 31 whereby a heap of us have to go out and catch a certain fish within moreton bay with either bait or lures or sp's. Could have them drawn out of a hat and the ones that don't catch are eliminated.
regards Jim

Actually that's too funny;D

I started typing a reply late last night and didn't post it, was getting too late and I always go over what I am about to say.... You gotta be careful these days, the vultures are waiting to pounce and slam you for anythng they can.

But what I had typed but didn't submit was about doing a reality show. What if any of these presenters were to jump on board my boat without cameras? Would it be a lecture on how I should fish? Or would they relax and be a mate who would just shut up and fish? A little humour here and there is good, but none of the throw away lines like last weeks' pay, c'mon!!

Scalem

PinHead
28-08-2011, 08:02 AM
How about the WWF (Aigutso and myself)..bugger all fish but a bloody good laugh.
Or..how about TOL on a tuna.."Bloody hell, I am buggered"...that would get a chuckle.
Or..finga and Oldboot debating the intricacies of everything electrical and mechanical on the boat.
Chong and Webby giving detailed instructions on how much rum to consume whilst still catching fish.

and then yourself and TimD giving lessons on plastics fishing...the list could be endless with the characters on here.

finga
28-08-2011, 08:45 AM
A
I started typing a reply late last night and didn't post it, was getting too late and I always go over what I am about to say.... You gotta be careful these days, the vultures are waiting to pounce and slam you for anythng they can.
Scalem
Typo there Brian. But you did that on purpose didn't you ::)

Oi Pinhead. No arguments from me. As long as it goes out and comes home I'm happy as Larry.
I wouldn't careless even if it was an ETEC on the back.....but only if you called it an ETEC and not a goggomobile.
If you called it a goggomobile then there's be trouble.

But your right you know. Watching the other people fishing can be more entertaining then catching the fish sometimes.

TOL on a tuna: Oh, hang on a minute. This is just too much. I need a bit of a breather (whilst handing the rod over to the closest person and lighting a fag). Maybe I should have used the 8000 Penn with the 50lb Platypuss mono and not this 40lb yellow braid on the 6'6" Gary Howard rod instead of the 6" Ugly Stick?? Oh, it's all just too hard I'm telling you.

Triple
28-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Been watching a few of Michael Guests "fishing the edge" on youtube and really think he should be hosting one on prime time again, not just doing segments on ET. Yeah he is covered in sponsor logos but he does not push particular brands and gear like most of the others (if he does say what he is using he will usually say any brand will do - spose thats why he is not on prime time anymore) I like the way he explains rig and bait used in simple terms and a particular technique that helps. No show will be perfect cause 1 mans idea of great fishing is different from another.. and the host will never be liked by all. A generally likable host or 2, with a broad range of fishing types and styles (fresh/salt/beach/bay/deep/boat/land/kayak/crabbing/bait/fly/plastics etc etc) and not pushing certain brands to turn the show into 1 big ad will always be a winner.. cleaning, fileting and cooking tips will help mix it up too.

NAGG
28-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I do not mind the YouFish series that Winga did for Melbourne's channel 31. He took the camera out with average fishos and recorded how they made their catches in their environments. Good concept with pretty good representation of the local fisho. His later shows tend to revolve around two or three of his mates though, which is a shame. They do get onto some pretty good fishing for Victoria though.

The holy grail though was "A River Somewhere". I have the set on DVD and whack it on 4 or 5 times a year, I can't do that for any other fishing show.

There was something pretty special about "A river somewhere" - very slick production , adventure , well filmed but best of all it was light hearted . Though realistically it not exactly a hard core fishing show & that was the charm of it ........ non fishoes can enjoy it .
I like some of the older stuff that was done by the likes of Calcutt / Harro or Florence ...... or even some of the Mal douglas stuff - they had the adventure element & were usually done without guides / usually with mates......... & all the dramas of doing a trip like that which go along with it .
Today - alot of the stuff is so commercial that it becomes a blurred add ...... fly in fly out personalities get pretty boring after a while .

Chris

Horse
28-08-2011, 11:58 AM
A River Somewhere is the best package I have seen (the CD is top music as well). I agree with Nagg about the early Calcutt stuff (Fishermans World I think). It used to come on at 1/2 time in the cricket and was even better than the game. This was when we had Lilly,Thomo and the rest of the legends. Unfortunatly I think fishing shows have gone the same way as our cricket team with their best years behhind them

pescados
28-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Adventure bound with the late Neil Tedaco was the best imho.
Not only a presenter but a good teacher as well.
Picked up quite a few useful tips from Neil.

PaulMark
28-08-2011, 02:26 PM
A lot of these blokes rely on the guide to catch the fish,then they wind it in.
Paulo

Nathan Tuskes
28-08-2011, 02:45 PM
presenters that refere to themselves in third person...

"scotty hilliers on again!!!"

"scotty and XYZ with a "DH"

make me cringe every time!

FNQCairns
28-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Extreem fishing with robson green, also that old bloke who travels the globe all on his own and then comes the two yobs from Tasmania I think (I never take notice of names) and finally fishing australia (is it?) the bloke takes the kids out and will sit on a jetty and do the less glamerouse aspects quite happily, little too much kayak fishing because I was doing it 25 years ago in the salt water and 35 years ago on trout streams and inland natives so nothing interesting there but I like his overall unassuming style.

I know almost none of the name mentioned above.

We should all include links

marto78
28-08-2011, 03:11 PM
I like the kiwi one with Matt Watson, The Ultimate Fishing Show. They take a pretty light hearted approach to fishing but catch a lot of good fish, there is bugger all advertising and the occassional good looking woman in a bikini throwen in. What more could you ask for really? IMO it is the pick of the lot.

Heres a link for you's.
http://www.theultimatefishingshow.com/video?gallery=22

NAGG
28-08-2011, 06:55 PM
A lot of these blokes rely on the guide to catch the fish,then they wind it in.
Paulo

Yep ....... I can say - I have never missed out when I've fished with a guide

PaulMark
28-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Chris,I believe they earn their fees with some of those guys.But I guess its hard to perform for the camera:P::) they have a schedule to keep hey;)and the punters want to see the fish.

Paulo

NAGG
28-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Chris,I believe they earn their fees with some of those guys.But I guess its hard to perform for the camera:P::) they have a schedule to keep hey;)and the punters want to see the fish.

Paulo

I'll take your word on that Paulo ;)

That's the problem - schedules etc - fast food fishing :(

Chris

Sheik
28-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Also the one with John Morse? I think his name was, I remember they did one on Hervey Bay trying to catch a mary river cod, a barra, oh I can't remember but I think they had five fish to catch within fifty k's of Marybrough and they did it. Old mate from Offshore productions on sunny coast filmed it who is a great cameraman. Great title music too. See if I can find it and post a link...

ah there we go. It's called Wildfish with Peter Morse. the title song isn't on this video but it gives an idea of how good he is..
http://www.wildfish.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=17

and I'm pretty siure this one is at china gutter near nunya creek
http://www.wildfish.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=17

Scalem
28-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Also the one with John Morse? I think his name was, I remember they did one on Hervey Bay trying to catch a mary river cod, a barra, oh I can't remember but I think they had five fish to catch within fifty k's of Marybrough and they did it. Old mate from Offshore productions on sunny coast filmed it who is a great cameraman. Great title music too. See if I can find it and post a link...

ah there we go. It's called Wildfish with Peter Morse. the title song isn't on this video but it gives an idea of how good he is..

and I'm pretty siure this one is at china gutter near nunya creek

Same link, but worth looking at it twice;)

charleville
29-08-2011, 02:47 AM
The shows that I like are the ones with a short production run and which are created around a theme.

Thus, Robson Green with his series which jumps from country to country from south to north and likewise, the Wild Rivers one that has previously been mentioned.

It also helps that the blokes in those shows are actors who like fishing rather than fisherman who are often stuck for a bit of creative monologue and who therefore weave that tedious phrase "..and that is what it is all about" all too frequently into their chatter.

That someone like Robson Green can give us a laugh with his self deprecating humour makes the show very attractive to the missus. The regular fishing shows can learn a lot from the Channel 9 cricket coverage and sports presenters like Sterlo and Fatty Vautin in relation to adding an entertainment layer to widen the audience reach of these shows.

Rex Hunt had the right idea in this regard, imho, but he was still too much of a serious fisho who wanted to preach to his audiences to make him attractive to watch every week.

Sheik
29-08-2011, 09:10 AM
The shows that I like are the ones with a short production run and which are created around a theme.

Thus, Robson Green with his series which jumps from country to country from south to north and likewise, the Wild Rivers one that has previously been mentioned.

It also helps that the blokes in those shows are actors who like fishing rather than fisherman who are often stuck for a bit of creative monologue and who therefore weave that tedious phrase "..and that is what it is all about" all too frequently into their chatter.

That someone like Robson Green can give us a laugh with his self deprecating humour makes the show very attractive to the missus. The regular fishing shows can learn a lot from the Channel 9 cricket coverage and sports presenters like Sterlo and Fatty Vautin in relation to adding an entertainment layer to widen the audience reach of these shows.

Rex Hunt had the right idea in this regard, imho, but he was still too much of a serious fisho who wanted to preach to his audiences to make him attractive to watch every week. .

Absolutely agree with you charle, and this is where ET gives me the screaming heebies. As a former journalist his voice overs send me barmy. He talks like he's just ripped off a trouser cough in the middle of a wedding, and this means there's no light and shade and it grates on my nerves. But I don't mind the content after all that so I torture myself to watch it. THe funniest thing I've seen on a show was Worsterling up north with his dad, and while Paul is blithering away in the foreground his dad's behind him just in shot getting birds nests cast after cast and in the next shot throws his lure straight into a tree. All this is happening while the camera is taking shots of PW talking to camera.
I'm not patronising his old man; it just looks like a Dudds fishing trip. Or the three amigos where Chevy tries to get off his horse and ends up on the other horse beside him sitting backwards which is happening in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNV-GXoeCM

and sorry, I just have to add this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik

Cheech
29-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Another vote for Adventure Bound. Lee always explains exactly how, when, where. He was always the better fisherman when he was on ifish.

Noelm
29-08-2011, 01:53 PM
So then, it appears that most of the shows are actually OK, it is the host that makes everyone turn off and get the sh!ts, and I think I agree with that, they all have some sort of phrase or woohoo that gets repeated show after show, but just as bad is the host that wear some sort of sponsors shirt (Buttfield, Kennedy and Guest spring to mind) and they just repeat the brand over and over! I also find it a tad off putting when the show seems to be shot over an hour or so, and it is fish after fish when it is blatantly obvious that it is different days, just yesterday I was watching some ET show and he said something about using Whiting heads for bait, while he is threading on a pilchard! I have seen that one twice and get a giggle from it.

Poppin King
30-08-2011, 08:15 AM
My favourite fishing shows are: Fishing the Edge hosted by Michael 'Guesty' Guest (I think you can only watch it on youtube) and Mark Berg's Fishing Addiction on the Lifestyle Channel. I think the majority of fishing show hosts are 1 sandwich short of a picnic 'If you no what i mean!'
Thanks
PK;D

Sheik
30-08-2011, 08:37 AM
SO noone has connections at Bris 31?

Reefmaster
30-08-2011, 09:16 AM
What I would like to do is put a show on Bris 31 whereby a heap of us have to go out and catch a certain fish within moreton bay with either bait or lures or sp's. Could have them drawn out of a hat and the ones that don't catch are eliminated.
regards Jim

Jim hold that thought for a while as I'm trying to make a concept similar to this happen. Here in brisbane/QLD we have very little footage made locally for both DVD or TV production. I have just purchased all new Pro Camera/editing equipment to make some DVD's but it could very well be made into a TV series for Bris31 after talking with them. Getting all this up and running has and will be great deal of work and has also been a very expensive excercise so far. We just got back from 2 weeks fishing/filming from up near cairns and while this was more of a fishing holiday it also gave us a good chance to trial the equipment and work out the logistics behind it all. A few minor changes will be required but we are on track and ready to get the wheels moving forward with this.

The name of it will be "Wickedfishing" and the website will be finished in a couple weeks. The website will also host articles/tips/pics and much more.

I have many ideas and concepts to film but need time and weather to be on my side to make this happen in a timely manor.

Regards,
Greg Lamprecht

mattooty
30-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I've got another tick for Robson Green. Its a privately funded series so he's not pushing anything. He drags his camera crew, his baitrunner 6500's and his fly rod around the world and chases everything, engages himself in their culture and makes mates with the blokes who take him fishing. He rarely uses a guide, instead just getting a regular bloke who knows a thing or 2 about the area and away they go.
My girlfriend who can't stand fishing will happily watch it with me for the laugh and the adventure of the series.

lucee81
30-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Another for Robson Green, The Mrs who cant stand fishing shows will watch it with me as its very entertaining however i have only ever seen the one series..

Lucas

Sheik
30-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Jim hold that thought for a while as I'm trying to make a concept similar to this happen. Here in brisbane/QLD we have very little footage made locally for both DVD or TV production. I have just purchased all new Pro Camera/editing equipment to make some DVD's but it could very well be made into a TV series for Bris31 after talking with them. Getting all this up and running has and will be great deal of work and has also been a very expensive excercise so far. We just got back from 2 weeks fishing/filming from up near cairns and while this was more of a fishing holiday it also gave us a good chance to trial the equipment and work out the logistics behind it all. A few minor changes will be required but we are on track and ready to get the wheels moving forward with this.

The name of it will be "Wickedfishing" and the website will be finished in a couple weeks. The website will also host articles/tips/pics and much more.

I have many ideas and concepts to film but need time and weather to be on my side to make this happen in a timely manor.

Regards,
Greg Lamprecht

right you are Greg
\I've been in the media game for 15 odd years, and have lots of ideas about a fishing show which might have some use to you in some form or another. We certainly need a better class of show coming from this part of the world given the variety of fish caught around here and seem to have southerners dropped on us from a great height constantly. What we need is a bit of good old Qld perspective. (hope you're not a cockaroach btw)
Have contacts here coastal and inland qld so let me know when you want to get together.
cheers mate jim

PinHead
30-08-2011, 03:41 PM
the hardets part of doing a successful fishing show is: which market to aim it at.
1. Beginners by showing knots and tackle selection
2. Experienced by just showing fish being caught
3. Somewherei n between

To be honest..fishing is a fantastic pastime but sitting watching someone else pump and wind for half an hour is really rather mundane.

Not one of the people I have seen hosting fishing shows appears to be able to "capture" the audience..I guess that is because they are not professional presenters.

Not an easy task to have a fishing show be successful.

I better do a search on Robson green..not heard of him either.

You are journo, Sheik? I bet you used to read Australasian Post a lot.

Shawn 66
30-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Another vote for Robson Green , although he is an accomplished actor , I sense that he has a genuine love for fishing . As an added bonus , he does not spruik any particular tackle , rods , reels or what dunny paper he uses to wipe his ar@e with .
Shawn
PS Pinhead , from memory his show is on One HD. The two episodes he filmed in Aus were bloody classics.

PinHead
30-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I just did a search on Robson Green..talk about cruel parents..naming your son, Robson Golightly.

chaspion01
30-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Ok my turn,

I like a good fishing show with plenty of diversity which includes all forms of fishing and locations that are accessable to the average Joe.
Beach and rock fishing, estuary, boat and kayak.
I get sick of watching GT's, Barra, Marlin, Sambo's etc etc that are hauled in one after the other a squillion miles out to sea or in some far away land that see's you spend an arm and a leg just to reach.
Nothing wrong with Robson Green, he's a character that makes no claim to be a great fisherman but pulls off a bloody funny show. (the opening credits get me everytime......Bastard, F***ing Fish!)
The Barefoot Adventurer, Mark Berg, Guesty, All for Adventure, River to Reef and Fishing WA are all great shows that appeal to the average bloke.
"I" Fish isn't too bad either, thanks mainly to Paul's wife!
Butfield needs to learn to string a sentence together and JK simply needs a bullet!

Get back to basics and make it appealing for the average Joe to experience, afford and enjoy the bounty that nature supplies us all.

My thoughts!

Sheik
30-08-2011, 07:11 PM
the hardets part of doing a successful fishing show is: which market to aim it at.
1. Beginners by showing knots and tackle selection
2. Experienced by just showing fish being caught
3. Somewherei n between

To be honest..fishing is a fantastic pastime but sitting watching someone else pump and wind for half an hour is really rather mundane.

Not one of the people I have seen hosting fishing shows appears to be able to "capture" the audience..I guess that is because they are not professional presenters.

Not an easy task to have a fishing show be successful.

I better do a search on Robson green..not heard of him either.

You are journo, Sheik? I bet you used to read Australasian Post a lot.
no mate I;m a good boy

Jarrah Jack
01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Haven't seen the Robson Green show but it sounds good. Adventure Bound gets my vote and the late Neil Tedesco was just a natural. Didn't irritate and just had the right presence. Lee is also very good. Its just a plain no BS show that goes to some wonderful places which is not that easy in Victoria.

hooknpull
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
jason kennedy from fishin trip... painful!!!

Damned67
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I've subjected the GF to plenty of fishing shows and DVDs, and despite her fishing heritage (she even featured in a fishing DVD), they pretty much all put her to sleep.... and me too on a lazy Sunday arvo.
But there is/was one show that once we bought one season on DVD, we raced out and bought all the rest, and watched a number of seasons back to back. That was Hook Line & Sinker with the two Tassie tools. That show, especially in the earlier seasons, was awesome, and mostly because they barely caught a thing! They were just an amusing pair of twats. The 'live baiting' episode was particularly amusing.

I'm a fan of most of Starlo's work. He's generally pretty clear and informative (even if pushing the Squidgy gear) and less annoying than most hosts, but I find some of his more recent voice over tracks grating. He's a great writer, and I enjoy the written word, but when his voice overs sound like he's busted out his thesaurus, I get annoyed. Keep voice overs simple, save the fancy talk for print.

Sheik
02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Ok my turn,

I like a good fishing show with plenty of diversity which includes all forms of fishing and locations that are accessable to the average Joe.
Beach and rock fishing, estuary, boat and kayak.
I get sick of watching GT's, Barra, Marlin, Sambo's etc etc that are hauled in one after the other a squillion miles out to sea or in some far away land that see's you spend an arm and a leg just to reach.
Nothing wrong with Robson Green, he's a character that makes no claim to be a great fisherman but pulls off a bloody funny show. (the opening credits get me everytime......Bastard, F***ing Fish!)
The Barefoot Adventurer, Mark Berg, Guesty, All for Adventure, River to Reef and Fishing WA are all great shows that appeal to the average bloke.
"I" Fish isn't too bad either, thanks mainly to Paul's wife!
Butfield needs to learn to string a sentence together and JK simply needs a bullet!

Get back to basics and make it appealing for the average Joe to experience, afford and enjoy the bounty that nature supplies us all.

My thoughts!
Absolutely agree with this. If someone heads out to some exotic place the remote goes bang before anyone speaks. it has no relevance to me at all. Yet if someone is throwing lures at flathead and talking about options I'll watch it. As long as the host is intersting and not just yahooing or being a goose. I realise not everyone gets the same thing or wants the same thing from a fishing show but if it's not relevant, i think that annoys a lot of people. And as someone mentioned earlier, just pictures of old mate pulling in a fish is not enough. Information has to be offered up as well.

Scalem
02-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Guys, really appreciate the replies, great stuff. 8-)

Tell me, is there a limit to what music selection these shows use? I know there is license and royalties paid to people who write the jingles, and once written, that is the specific jingle used for that show. "If you love fishin then come with me yeah" is echoing in my head now, so I guess with me it has done what it is designed for, and I remember it. But its the repetitive, same selection of music that starts up - distorted electric guitar every time someone puts a bend in the rod - for instance.

Is it only a sign of low budget production where the music selection is restricted to only what the producers have paid for under license? What determines the variety of music used? How can they increase the range selected?

The point might be insignificant to some people, who don't care what is used, but I am passionate about my music, I play bass and acoustic guitar, so this sort of thing grates on my nerves when tunes are used repetitively.

Scalem

finga
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Oi Brian. Turn the volume down and play your own music to the show. Be like the old silent flicks on the big screen but use your guitar instead of a piano. Be inventive. That way you can practice and watch at the same time :)

Scalem
02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Oi Brian. Turn the volume down and play your own music to the show. Be like the old silent flicks on the big screen but use your guitar instead of a piano. Be inventive. That way you can practice and watch at the same time :) Oi Finga, how will I learn to fish better with the volume turned down and playing guitar at the same time? I don't need any practice anyway:P

Scalem

TimD
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
A good fishing show would be Finga getting off his computer and actually going fishing ;D

Sheik
03-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Guys, really appreciate the replies, great stuff. 8-)

Tell me, is there a limit to what music selection these shows use? I know there is license and royalties paid to people who write the jingles, and once written, that is the specific jingle used for that show. "If you love fishin then come with me yeah" is echoing in my head now, so I guess with me it has done what it is designed for, and I remember it. But its the repetitive, same selection of music that starts up - distorted electric guitar every time someone puts a bend in the rod - for instance.

Is it only a sign of low budget production where the music selection is restricted to only what the producers have paid for under license? What determines the variety of music used? How can they increase the range selected?

The point might be insignificant to some people, who don't care what is used, but I am passionate about my music, I play bass and acoustic guitar, so this sort of thing grates on my nerves when tunes are used repetitively.

Scalem

Good call scalem and again, this is one of the reasons I liked wildfish so much. the music is still in my mind. Sick of the same old stuff being trotted out. Acoustic when they're setting out on the trip, electric whine when they hook up. Please. someone with originality step up to the crease.

finga
03-09-2011, 07:14 AM
A good fishing show would be Finga getting off his computer and actually going fishing ;D

That is a good show.
Just ask the people I've fished with in Brisbane.
I just choose not to put a song and dance on about it.

But mostly it would be pretty boring seeing I usually just laze about with a line in the water not worrying too much about anything.
I suppose I'm pretty lucky and take fishing for granted just like everything people are fortunate enough to do often.
It's a bit too handy having a good fishing spot 400m from home, a boat ramp within 500m, a huge dam well within 10kms from home and spots everywhere in between where you just pull up and cast a line into the creek and catch anything from carp to Yellowbelly to Cod.
I think I take it too much for granted especially when I see guys like Shawn drive for 2 and a half hours each way just to fish at a place that's my local. Maybe I should appreciate what I'm able to do more?
I can collect some fresh live bait, go out for a few hours fishing and come home and be all washed up and cleaned in time for a late smoko if I want to venture out wide to Lesley.
Just yesterday afternoon I went and cut some steel for a gantry at a mates place dead bang in the centre of town and afterwards (about 4pm) I walked down to the creek, pulled the shrimp trap out to get some bait, sat on the bridge and caught a Yellow-belly and then walked back up to the car and come home for tea around 5.30.
I don't even have to cart the rod around. I just leave it and a knife (to cut the line in if the hook is swallowed as I throw them all back at this spot) under the bridge.
Usually it's one fish and I'm happy and then I'm home.
Fishing for me is not just the act of been next to, or on, some water with a line in trying to catch a fish.
Fishing to me includes every aspect of fishing. Building a boat, trailers etc; building all my own rods; building some of my tackle; building traps and catching my own bait is all a part of fishing.
When we buy another farm out here I'm even going to build my own dam to fish in (if there's not one there already).
How boring would all that be on a television show? A 5 episode adventure of finga building an ashtray for the tiny tinny. Or a 12 hour special of finga doing a weave on a rod. Or the 2 day saga/tragedy of rod grip building.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sleepy/asleep-045.gif
To be honest I'd rather spend a 1/2 an hour or an hour or how-ever long a fishing show takes into repairing or building a rod or sitting on the bank of the creek down the hill with a line in the water actually fishing.
Boring to most...yes. Relaxing to me.....yes. Song and dance...nope. Sorry.

finga
03-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Actually that brings up a good talking point.
What fishing expeditions have you all had that would make good entertainment on television??

I know the time I was with Mike in the Brisbane river and I got a reasonable cod on a 2kg rod with a 1000 size spinning reel and Mike was giggling waiting for the rod to break....but it didn't... would have been entertaining.
And the time TOL and Chopper were laughing at me pushing the boat across the spoils out the front of Ormiston...and failing to tell me the little reef sharks were following us could have been a lesson on what to look for when pushing a boat.
Or the time I caught a sting-ray in the Evans boat harbour about 6-7 across and spent a couple of hours showing kids how to 'play' a fish with an Alvey to have some clown come along and gaff it just as I'm about to cut the line to release it. The entertainment was me nearly throwing the clown in to give the poor ray mouth to mouth would have made a good episode on the narrow mindedness of some people.
Or the time the brother in law from Darwin had a lure snag just below the water in Lesley dam so he jumped in to get it...and instantaneously near jumped across the boat on his way out. He wasn't expecting the cold at all :D
Or last week (or was that the week before??) when I was having a quite fish and a water dragon came and sat next to me sunning himself on the bridge timbers... just like I was... could have shown the tranquillity one can experience whilst fishing if they want to.

As I mentioned before, the best fishing entertainment I've seen on a television are the video's Heath puts out. Real people, real fishing and none of the 'extras'.

SunnyCoastMark
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Hey Guys,
I think you guys are just a bunch af fussy old farts! :PSeriously - If it has fishing or boating in it - I am interested!

I love em all - Don't care what wheel barrow they are pushing or who's product they are trying to sell - I just want to see the fishing. Keep in mind that someone has to pay for the show to actually be made, produced and shown - so if that means talking about E-tecs; Squidgies; whatever - I don't care.

Throw in a bit of comedy (however juvenile) and all the better.

Love "I fish"; Fishing Australia; Robson Green; Wildfish - even Fishing Australia and ET. Loved Malcolm Douglass' shows as well and even Rex Hunt - Yibada Yibada......

I guess I am just passionate about fishing and boating and am happy that my favorite pastime is also on TV. - Great for those days when you can't be out there.

Mark

SunnyCoastMark
03-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Another thing - you know all those Reality Reno shows that are on at the moment?

How good would it be to have reality Boat reno shows. - You have teams of 3 or 4 people restoring an Old Haines or Bertram; Buiding a kit platey from scratch.

Any TV producers on the forum?

Knotpretty
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Hook Line and Sinker those two guys crack me up.

finga
03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Another thing - you know all those Reality Reno shows that are on at the moment?

How good would it be to have reality Boat reno shows. - You have teams of 3 or 4 people restoring an Old Haines or Bertram; Buiding a kit platey from scratch.

XXXX did the boat thing a few years ago and we even had a team organised from here.
I really don't know what happened with that from XXXX's standpoint.

TimD
03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
That is a good show.

But mostly it would be pretty boring seeing I usually just laze about with a line in the water not worrying too much about anything.
I suppose I'm pretty lucky and take fishing for granted just like everything people are fortunate enough to do often.
It's a bit too handy having a good fishing spot 400m from home, a boat ramp within 500m, a huge dam well within 10kms from home and spots everywhere in between where you just pull up and cast a line into the creek and catch anything from carp to Yellowbelly to Cod.
I think I take it too much for granted especially when I see guys like Shawn drive for 2 and a half hours each way just to fish at a place that's my local. Maybe I should appreciate what I'm able to do more?
I can collect some fresh live bait, go out for a few hours fishing and come home and be all washed up and cleaned in time for a late smoko if I want to venture out wide to Lesley.
Just yesterday afternoon I went and cut some steel for a gantry at a mates place dead bang in the centre of town and afterwards (about 4pm) I walked down to the creek, pulled the shrimp trap out to get some bait, sat on the bridge and caught a Yellow-belly and then walked back up to the car and come home for tea around 5.30.
I don't even have to cart the rod around. I just leave it and a knife (to cut the line in if the hook is swallowed as I throw them all back at this spot) under the bridge.
Fishing for me is not just the act of been next to, or on, some water with a line in trying to catch a fish.
Fishing to me includes every aspect of fishing. Building a boat, trailers etc; building all my own rods; building some of my tackle; building traps and catching my own bait is all a part of fishing.
When we buy another farm out here I'm even going to build my own dam to fish in (if there's not one there already).
How boring would all that be on a television show? A 5 episode adventure of finga building an ashtray for the tiny tinny. Or a 12 hour special of finga doing a weave on a rod. Or the 2 day saga/tragedy of rod grip building.
To be honest I'd rather spend a 1/2 an hour or an hour or how-ever long a fishing show takes into repairing or building a rod or sitting on the bank of the creek down the hill with a line in the water actually fishing.

Actually that brings up a good talking point.
What fishing expeditions have you all had that would make good entertainment on television??

I know the time I was with Mike in the Brisbane river and I got a reasonable cod on a 2kg rod with a 1000 size spinning reel and Mike was giggling waiting for the rod to break....but it didn't... would have been entertaining.
And the time TOL and Chopper were laughing at me pushing the boat across the spoils out the front of Ormiston...and failing to tell me the little reef sharks were following us could have been a lesson on what to look for when pushing a boat.
Or the time I caught a sting-ray in the Evans boat harbour about 6-7 across and spent a couple of hours showing kids how to 'play' a fish with an Alvey to have some clown come along and gaff it just as I'm about to cut the line to release it. The entertainment was me nearly throwing the clown in to give the poor ray mouth to mouth would have made a good episode on the narrow mindedness of some people.
Or the time the brother in law from Darwin had a lure snag just below the water in Lesley dam so he jumped in to get it...and instantaneously near jumped across the boat on his way out. He wasn't expecting the cold at all :D
Or last week (or was that the week before??) when I was having a quite fish and a water dragon came and sat next to me sunning himself on the bridge timbers... just like I was... could have shown the tranquillity one can experience whilst fishing if they want to.

As I mentioned before, the best fishing entertainment I've seen on a television are the video's Heath puts out. Real people, real fishing and none of the 'extras'.

Thanks for the life story ;D

theoldlegend
04-09-2011, 06:22 AM

How to rebuild an etec perhaps?

TOL

Shawn 66
04-09-2011, 08:22 AM
That is a good show.

Hey Scott,
Just had a thought , probably be a good idea to introduce me to the Wog , so when I go to raid your traps I don't end up with my fat ar#e full of buckshot .
Shawn

thelump
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
What about "The Angry Fisherman"? Get a laugh out of some of his stuff.

snapazapa
05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I like the kiwi one with Matt Watson, The Ultimate Fishing Show. They take a pretty light hearted approach to fishing but catch a lot of good fish, there is bugger all advertising and the occassional good looking woman in a bikini throwen in. What more could you ask for really? IMO it is the pick of the lot.

Heres a link for you's.
http://www.theultimatefishingshow.com/video?gallery=22
Yep I like matty and the fellas,dont know if it will make its way to your screens but the ITM fishing show run a "Matts Apprentice" show where the group was whittled down until they finally had a winner but they had a couple of young ladies going for the position,dont miss the first part.;D

devocean
09-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Hard to make a good fishig show - until you have tried it I don't think you should have an opinion. If you want to see a quality production check out the liquid focus spearfishing dvds- whilst it is spearfishing they are well produced and the underwater footage is breath taking.

Sheik
26-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Hard to make a good fishig show - until you have tried it I don't think you should have an opinion. If you want to see a quality production check out the liquid focus spearfishing dvds- whilst it is spearfishing they are well produced and the underwater footage is breath taking.
Haven't tried walking on the moon either, but I have an opinion on it. IMO once it's out there it's ripe to be commented on, just like this post. But I appreciate what you're saying. Talking to a camera is pretty difficult until you get used to it, and good footage shot by an experienced camera"person" is not cheap or easy to come by. Nevertheless, I feel we are consumers of the product, so we've got the right to have a chop at it?

CHEE-FEE
26-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Fishing and boating shows all die of the same disease; IRRELEVANCE. They start off all well and good going fishing in places that most of us either go to or could get to in boats that we all know and love. Then, for some strange reason, they decide to go all exotic and go to places that nobody is going to go, and they go in boats that are just dream machines to the average punter. It may be OK to do such shows as a "one off special", but to get it served up week after week just kills the show. This disease of IRRELEVANCE should kill most lifestyle shows in the end, as they all have a finite lifespan if they're going to serve up the same thing time after time, but fishing/boating shows are mor vulnerable to said disease, as it is a very neiche market that the shows are pitching to. Also, anything with that goose Paul Worstling (if that's how you spell it) in it should be consignet to the shit-heap immediately and without discussion.

Cheers,
NICK.

PinHead
26-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Fishing and boating shows all die of the same disease; IRRELEVANCE. They start off all well and good going fishing in places that most of us either go to or could get to in boats that we all know and love. Then, for some strange reason, they decide to go all exotic and go to places that nobody is going to go, and they go in boats that are just dream machines to the average punter. It may be OK to do such shows as a "one off special", but to get it served up week after week just kills the show. This disease of IRRELEVANCE should kill most lifestyle shows in the end, as they all have a finite lifespan if they're going to serve up the same thing time after time, but fishing/boating shows are mor vulnerable to said disease, as it is a very neiche market that the shows are pitching to. Also, anything with that goose Paul Worstling (if that's how you spell it) in it should be consignet to the shit-heap immediately and without discussion.

Cheers,
NICK.

the better half had the tele on yesterday and some fishing show was on..did not catch the name of it..on the Lifestyle channel (which I usually avoid like the plague) but it caught my attention..the place looked superb and the fishing looked spectacular..have sent an email off asking for prices already..may even go sometime next year.