PDA

View Full Version : Need help determining throttle, gear and steering cable length from forward console

Bilopete
26-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

I am having difficulty trying to determine the required length for the throttle and gear cables. Since this is a conversion, I can't go of the length of the old cable.
My boat is 4.3m long and the minimum distance between the proposed console and outboard is 2.1m. My tinnie has a false floor and a very narrow gunwhale.

I am assuming the shortest direct connection would be from the control box, under the floor and back out under the outboard. I am unsure how stiff these cable are, how much of a radius needs to be given for bending around corners and even how much extra extra cable is needed for the motor to turn fully left to right.

How are these cables best installed from a centre console? Up the middle with a loop at the end for motor play or around the side of the boat like a steering cable?

Would 15foot throttle and gear cables be unreasonable for a 4.3m boat? Does it matter if both of these a longer than they should be?

Comments, pictures, reference to stuff on the web or even a phone call (0427 656 862)would be greatly appreciated!

My conversion of a tiller is coming along reasonably well. I will have the necessary parts for about $1500 and labour by a out board mechanic will be around $300.

Bilopete
27-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Anybody know where I can details of how to install these cables?

Fed
27-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey Bilopete you've been sitting there too long, I'm no expert but I'll sure help as much as I can.

Centre console or side console?
Do you want to put the steering through the motor tilt tube or straight off the transom?
Check the Teleflex website, download manuals for more info.
Check page 57 of the BIAS Spring catalogue, note the min bend radius of 250mm.
If it was me I'd be using the garden hose to get an exact measurement then go up to the first available ft size.
Traditionally all cables entered the splashwell on the Starboard side but nowdays I've seen them coming in from anywhere, it all depends on your setup & what suits you.
Tell us some more details it's a bit hard with so little to go on mate.

Bilopete
27-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Hey Bilopete you've been sitting there too long, I'm no expert but I'll sure help as much as I can.

Centre console or side console?
Do you want to put the steering through the motor tilt tube or straight off the transom?
Check the Teleflex website, download manuals for more info.
Check page 57 of the BIAS Spring catalogue, note the min bend radius of 250mm.
If it was me I'd be using the garden hose to get an exact measurement then go up to the first available ft size.
Traditionally all cables entered the splashwell on the Starboard side but nowdays I've seen them coming in from anywhere, it all depends on your setup & what suits you.
Tell us some more details it's a bit hard with so little to go on mate.

Thanks for responding.
Centre console.
Steering is through the motor tilt tube.
I have a full width false floor but a very narrow gunwhale.
Steering cable for Teleflex quick connect is pretty straight forward and yes, I have referenced the Teleflex website and Bias Boating catalogue to work out the steering cable.
I am particulalrly stuck with the gear and throttle cable from the control box to the outboard.
Does it need the same radius as the teleflex cables?
How far do these cables come out of the outboard motor?
Do you have to loop the cable at the outboard to allow for full steering?
If I package the steering and throttle / gear cables together would it be better to come to the motor from the side or from under the floor to the outboard?

Questions questions questions......

EDIT: I guess I need to know what amount of play I have to allow for the gear / throttle cables so I can order them. Garden hose is a great idea!

Fed
28-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Here you go Bilopete, the loop in the control cables measures between 35cm and 40cm diameter.
Keep all your bends as large as you can and if you use a garden hose get the measurement from end to end on the sheath the work out the cable from there.
Better to be too long, too short won't work at all.