PDA

View Full Version : Spare Wheel Mount Across Trailer Drawbar

Splash
26-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Greetings.

I want to make/buy a fastening assy that will fasten a spare 13" trailer wheel horizontally across the top / front of the trailer drawbar.

Photos/links/ideas would be much appreciated.

Splash

cormorant
26-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Not that I like these but just buy a large gal ubolt that will go around your drawbar and through your wheels stud holes or bend to suit - couple of studs and that's it. We have used it as a extra pair of wheel carriers on some very long trips.

Mounted like that the wheels rust as they hold water

You can use the same ubolt to mount it vertical on your winchpost.

I think the trailer parts places actually sell these now for this job.

Edit just quick look on eprey so you know what I was trying to describe

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPARE-WHEEL-HOLDER-suits-Boat-Box-trailer-BRAND-NEW-/220512395872

Splash
26-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Great idea! Thanks

If I place some form of plate over top of wheel, woudl that prevent water ingress and hence rust?

Splash

cormorant
26-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Anything that covers it will stop you realising when there is water on it and it will get in there like water always does..We used to use a bit of ply on a old box trailer. Just slowed down the inevitable. A vinyl cover like a 4wd wheel cover with a lump of something in the middle to stop water pooling ?

Of you store undercover no real worries as it will dry off , give it a wipe after being washed and it will depend on your rims if they have holes or will pool water. Some pool water and others don't but all will have water resting near the bead on the tyre meets the rim.

Any reason you can't mount it vertically or facing forward on the winchpost as long as it is heavy duty enough? ?

rayken1938
26-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Water shouldn't be a worry Isnt your spare gal or alloy? I would go one step further and clamp a stub axle to the draw bar so then you have a complete spare hub ,bearing and wheel.
Cheers
Ray

tunaticer
26-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Also worth investigating a stub axle mount for a spare hub and bearings in case you scrub one on a trip away. worth the peace of mind if you are several hundred km away from anywhere and roller bearings are on the ground. I think Alco or Active fabrications have a kit available with hubs to your stud pattern on the axle stub to match your current axle that U-Bolt to your drawbar or winch post.
I remember seeing them in one of the trailer parts catalogue (cattle dog so finga knows what I'm on about).

Splash
26-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks Guys.

Yes, my wheel rims are all galv.

I like the stub axle idea as well :-) How would I mount this stub axle?

perhaps I should be looking at vertical mounted spare wheel option instead??

what is better mount - horizontal or vertical?

Splash

cormorant
26-08-2011, 11:20 PM
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=138&item=91075

Just a example . There will be other brands and styles.

Just check it won't interfere when you are winching on.

Splash
26-08-2011, 11:56 PM
excellent!

thanks

splash

Fed
27-08-2011, 08:03 AM
It probably won't help you Splash but others may benefit, my car and trailer both run Ford hubs so I put a very low profile tyre on my car spare that allows me to use it on my trailer which is fitted with those 'special' 13" trailer rims.
Had to do this to fit the larger Ford spare under the trailer mud guards.
This is fine for my local trips and I always keep a can of Finileak in the car as backup.

rayken1938
27-08-2011, 02:02 PM
This is what i made up but rough as I didn't have correct u bolts and too mean to purchase new ones.
I had an old axle with crook seal surface so just chopped it off.
Probably would be better with a spring mounting plate between axle and winch post but been on for 4 years and hasnt fallen off after numerous trips to Lenthalls etc.
Cheers
Ray

Splash
27-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Fed and Ray for some interesting thoughts and pics....

Splash

darylive
27-08-2011, 10:53 PM
U bolts horizontal mount on the draw bar no worries and drill a couple small holes so it wont hold water. Obviously gall should be OK and if you do drill it hit with cold gall in the holes. Horizontal keeps the weight lower on the draw bar, cheap and simple.

Feral
28-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Buy a kit from supercheap for about $50. holds a hub witch you bung your spare wheel on. That way your carrying a spare hub and bearing assembly as well as a spare wheel.

Can be mounted at any angle. If you try you will probably find a way to put it vertical up near the front of the boat.

Sun will also damage a permanently mounted spare. Good idea to rotate the wheels reasonably regularly