PDA

View Full Version : Wall Display - Fishing Tackle/Gear

tomrob1
23-08-2011, 10:43 AM
The housemate & I need a few things to hang on the walls at our new place, and instead of getting painting or art we're thinking of making something using fishing tackle.

Bit of a random idea, so I thought I'd see if anyone has tried or seen anything similar before, and could pass on any tips?

The basic idea is to get a wooden backing, maybe hang the leadline from an old cast net around the perimeter, and then use glue or nails to hold up some colourful fishing gear (lures, jigs, hooks, swivels etc.), and maybe have a few containers along the bottom to store light weights.

Anyway love to hear any ideas / thoughts

cheers
tom

bennykenny
23-08-2011, 11:55 AM
my dad had 2 old split cane rods criss crossed hung up on the wall in the lounge, looked pretty cool

Waraba Mick
23-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi tom, i have a boat in my lounge room, a 2.0 metre fibre glass Lamoore yacht tender, have set it up with my first rod, cane creel, a few lures and reels. The women that visit our house scratch thier heads, but i think the blokes think its cool.

Mick.

albey
23-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Built a bar in my mates place in Tville.Behind the bar we put up the complete cast net,an old cotton one,not just the leadline.Onto that weve got shark jaws,old reels,some encrusted with barnacles recovered from the briney,lots a lures,above that a couple of split canes.Works a treat behind the bar,just remember dont be too formal and precise with the way you put the net up,it looks way better if hung in a random manner.
Let your head go,and have some fun with it.Probably an old drag net would give you more room to be creative.

Greg P
23-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Best one I have seen was in a Yank forum - what a great bar set up 8-)8-)

tomrob1
23-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Cheers for the ideas Benny, Mick, Albey & Greg.

Definitely a pretty blokey idea, but that's what I'm after! We don't have a stack of room, so I reckon the cast net idea might work with gear mixed throughout it. I've got a few shark jaws & plenty of old lures & tackle to add to the mix. Not 100% clear on how it's going to be mounted yet either, its a rental so I can't really use much other than a stack of those adhesive hooks...

Love the idea of a new bar with gear mounted behind it, but will have to save up a few $$$$ before I can think about that.

Anyway cheers for the input
tom

finga
23-08-2011, 06:45 PM
At the house at Evans we have a rod of fame to hang all the pictures worth bragging about and also a rod of shame with the catches that are less worthy like a HUGE toadfish and teeny weeny bream or flathead.
There is also a plaster replica of a perch on the wall that weighed over 6lb that was caught by Uncle George at Tabbimobile. That's a ripper.
In Brisbane I have a split cane rod with Alvey hanging on the wall and I made a clock out of a large old wooden hand reel.
the rod rack also lived in the hallway as well until I painted the hall way. I have to put it back yet.
Here in Warwick there's 3 old cane creels, a cane crawfish pot and some rods hanging on the wall in the sleep out.
I like them. And I don't care if nobody else does. There there and that's that :)
But the cook did knock back my idea of bringing in the Royal Scott outboard and use it as a decoration. Something about no way in hell came from somewhere during that discussion.
Don't know what the fuss was about. It's on wheels so it can be moved to vacuum.

Waraba Mick
23-08-2011, 07:39 PM
The women are funny with the outboard in the lounge room thing, i to have an oldie to go with the display, its a mid 1960's gb30 4 hp honda but i have been given the big no go on it. No sense of adventure some of these women.

Mick.

fat-buoy
24-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Friend of mine had his cast net draped across the wall and his lures spread out hanging on the net.. it was pretty cool because you could check them out and choose which ones to bring out fishing on the day etc :)

Shawn 66
24-08-2011, 09:59 AM
At the house at Evans we have a rod of fame to hang all the pictures worth bragging about and also a rod of shame with the catches that are less worthy like a HUGE toadfish and teeny weeny bream or flathead.
There is also a plaster replica of a perch on the wall that weighed over 6lb that was caught by Uncle George at Tabbimobile. That's a ripper.
In Brisbane I have a split cane rod with Alvey hanging on the wall and I made a clock out of a large old wooden hand reel.
the rod rack also lived in the hallway as well until I painted the hall way. I have to put it back yet.
Here in Warwick there's 3 old cane creels, a cane crawfish pot and some rods hanging on the wall in the sleep out.
I like them. And I don't care if nobody else does. There there and that's that :)
But the cook did knock back my idea of bringing in the Royal Scott outboard and use it as a decoration. Something about no way in hell came from somewhere during that discussion.
Don't know what the fuss was about. It's on wheels so it can be moved to vacuum.

Hey Scott ,
Being a sensitive new age male , you would do the vacuuming anyway would'nt you ?
Shawn

sid_fishes
24-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Scott ,
Being a sensitive new age male , you would do the vacuuming anyway would'nt you ?
Shawn[/QUOTE]

hahahahahahh .... i just p***ed myself and fell off my chair

albey
24-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeh!I really cant see the problem.
Just tell her to watch out for the oil from the gear box

finga
24-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Oi you lot. Why does everyone pick on me??
I vacuum....sort of.
Actually I open up all the doors and windows and bring the petrol powered blower in and blow the crap all out.
The blower gets into all the nooks and crannies the vacuum misses. It does a great job at getting all Pongo's black hair out.

As a side note I did plan on building a glass topped dining table with a working 253 V8 under it but that went out before it came in too.
All we would have had to do after a meal is open everything up, start her up, rev to 3000 rpm for about 5 minutes and house would be clean as a whistle.
I was even going to put the fuel tank under the house so there'd be no fuel stink.

I did get a couple of milk separators in the house though. All I have to do now is figure out how to get the cow in.

But back to the fishing theme.
A throw net sounds like the go and hang everything off it.
My brother has a little boat leaning against the wall in his office.
Dad made it for him as a X-mas present years ago.
It's even got a tide clock in the foredeck to really rub the salt in.
Oh, and it's got some shelves and stuff to put books and reels on too.

theoldlegend
25-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Oi you lot. Why does everyone pick on me??
I vacuum....sort of.
Actually I open up all the doors and windows and bring the petrol powered blower in and blow the crap all out.
The blower gets into all the nooks and crannies the vacuum misses. It does a great job at getting all Pongo's black hair out.

As a side note I did plan on building a glass topped dining table with a working 253 V8 under it but that went out before it came in too.
All we would have had to do after a meal is open everything up, start her up, rev to 3000 rpm for about 5 minutes and house would be clean as a whistle.
I was even going to put the fuel tank under the house so there'd be no fuel stink.

I did get a couple of milk separators in the house though. All I have to do now is figure out how to get the cow in.

But back to the fishing theme.
A throw net sounds like the go and hang everything off it.
My brother has a little boat leaning against the wall in his office.
Dad made it for him as a X-mas present years ago.
It's even got a tide clock in the foredeck to really rub the salt in.
Oh, and it's got some shelves and stuff to put books and reels on too.

Reminds me of a bloke I know at Taroom.

He vacuumed the carpet in his house with the mower once. He wasn't having too much success until he dropped it down a notch or two and caught the carpet and ripped the shit out of it.

His missus divorced him not too long after that.

True story.

TOL

darylive
27-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I have a sheet of mesh in the shed and stuff hangin off it. It would be alright for a rental as you only need secure the mesh to the wall. If it reaches the ground it holds its own weight and a couple of removable hooks will hold it against the wall; then go for your life. Lures hang off it and you can zip tie anything onto it.

tunaticer
28-08-2011, 06:56 AM
I used to have a cork board that would gain lures that have been smashed by fish, great holes or slash marks, hooks torn out and bibs broken off etc. Also had busted reels and frayed leaders, mangrove jack jaws etc with the odd pic thrown in for good measure.
Best I have seen though was a selection of old flies, silk fly lines, segmented cane fly rod and a brass reel all mounted on green felt and set behind glass. It was incredibly attractive.

Got a mate with a coffee table with a similar setup, reels, rods and lures etc set under the glass. Downside is the coffee table always has crap on it so you can't see it all.

tomrob1
29-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Cheers for the ideas guys, we went out and bought a big sheet of corrugated iron to use as a backing, and some heavy duty adhesive wall hooks which should do the trick (hopefully).

We've got half a dozen shark jaws, an old castnet, a busted rod & reel and plenty of assorted hooks & lures that we can hang. I think we'll have the rod & reel up the top, with a paternoster rig hanging down from it on one side (with the traces spread evenly on either side), then maybe use some of the net below the rod on the rest of the sheet, and hang stuff on top of it. Probably glue a few bits & pieces to the iron so that they sit right, but we'll wait and see. Anyway its all laying on our floor at the moment & we're moving stuff around to see what looks good and what doesn't - I'll post up photos of the results in a few weeks when its done.

cheers
tom