PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Storms and Rainbows

Funchy
23-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi All

Another Utah fishing report for those that are interested. ;D

My youngest boy Max and I left Friday around noon for a 2 and a half hour drive to the north eastern corner of Utah bordering Wyoming to Flaming Gorge. We were meeting up with a couple of his school mates and their Dad who has a boat that he kindly invited us out onto for the weekend. We arrived, loaded up and was out on the water trolling by 4pm.

We had 2 down riggers with lures a 60ft and another at about 15ft. Old mate hooked up to a trout (think it is called a Mackinaw? He is camera shy so I am holding it up) about 20 inches long.

Then it started to cloud over and the forecasted thunderstorms rolled in so we legged it into a nice quiet cove to ride it out for the evening.

I got up nice and early the next morning (WHILE THE OTHERS SLEPT!!) and threw some lures around for little success. Can't complain too much. Stunning scenery.

Then off we went trolling deep again for the lake trout and Kokane Salmon. Nuthin! So for lunch we parked had a swim and relaxed. Thought I would throw in some of my favourite Strike King Lipless crank baits and came away smiling with a nice small mouth bass. (My biggest yet)

Then the storms rolled in again. We decided to flee to the Wyoming side of the resevior (Keep in mind this is 44,000 acres of water).

Funchy
23-08-2011, 10:27 AM
continued......

We anchored up and rode it out with a beer and a few tunes. When it cleared we were back at it. My young fella Max got a nice Small Mouth Bass similar to the one I got and I hooked onto to something decent. Max had asked me if he could reel in the next fish I caught. As I had been catching tiddler SMBs I said yeah no worries mate. Well my rod is bent in half and he says "Dad, you promised. Hand it over". It was like handing over my last beer on a hot day I tells ya!!! But a promise is a promise and the look on my young blokes face crankin a 22 inch trout in on 8lb line and a 7ft rod was proceless.

Got it on video but no photo of him with it but here it is with the bass and the trout from day 1.

So off to bed as it was getting late.

Up again early next day trolling deep at 60ft and 90 ft for nuthin so we went swimming and headed home.

Not our most productive fishing expedition but great memories and fantastic scenery.

wamjam
23-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Funchy can you put a word in for me, so I can take over your job when you leave ???

Scott

Funchy
24-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Funchy can you put a word in for me, so I can take over your job when you leave ???

Scott

Hahahaha... As beautiful as it is I am really looking forward to getting back to the sunshine coast and my salt water fishing. Fish fight harder I reckon. Plus there is only limited time of year to fish (Unless you like ice fishing) :P

But send me your resume and I'll see what I can do ;)

Apollo
24-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Top report funchy. Pretty looking place you exist in there.