PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter 560SF

Pointyfish
22-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi, can any one tell me if the 560SF has timber stringers and suffer from rot the same as the older models ( V19, 565R etc ).

I've been told the stringers in the 560 don't have timber but would like some one to confirm this.

Thanks

Noelm
23-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I guess no one knows for sure then, maybe a call to Haines might be of some help.

Pointyfish
23-08-2011, 11:55 AM
The fact that no one knows of a 560 having rot could be a good sign.

boatboy50
23-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey,

I would be willing to bet you are being led astray. I'm sure the 560F has timber stringers, just like every other Haines made in the day. I know a lot of the OMC Haines Hunters (1992-1999?) have had rot dramas and build issues. Some of their build quality at the time was average to say the least.

Darren

Jarrah Jack
23-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I would say yes most definitely. HH565 a member here, knows the history of every HH ever produced, well nearly ;D. I think he'll confirm my prognosis and if he doesn't I'll owe him a beer or two.

Blane11
23-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a friend (yeah yeah a friends cousins sisters husband), who I spoke to when I originally purchased my project.

He has a 560F and from memory, when I spoke to him about redoing the stringers on my 565R he was saying that his were glass stringers with foam inside.

We actually debated at the time as to which path I would go down and for someone with no fibreglass experience at the time, concluded it was safer and easier for me to use ply. He actually ordered his boat from Haines, having them only finish it to a certain stage and he did the rest. It is foam filled under the floor which was another thing he said wasn't standard and he had to request.

This is only what I have been told by someone though. I have no idea if they are all like that, or his was specifically made to order.

Cheers

Brett

Jarrah Jack
23-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I have read somewhere that Haines did experiment at some stage with glass stringers but had trouble with them and went back to timber/glass.

Smithy
24-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Definately wood. Just rung a mate who had one. He had a hole in it which he thinks happened when he lost a tyre. He didn't realize it was cracked and used it a bit then noticed a slow leak under the trailer. They had to open it up and use hairdryers on it etc. to dry it out good enough to patch it up and it definately had wood stringers from what he saw. If I run into the one mackerel pro here running a 560 I will ask him if he knows too.

HH565L
24-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I have read somewhere that Haines did experiment at some stage with glass stringers but had trouble with them and went back to timber/glass.

Have heard the same but not sure how much of it is true.

The big issue with fiberglass over foam core is that it lacks weight, so unless they were adding more glass in the hull and below the water line, the boats would definitely have had a different feel.

To be honest I would be reluctant to purchase any older boat with a fiberglass stringer system, particularly box stringers. Often the stringer walls were made too thin and hulls developed stress fractures and sometimes cracks along the stinger line. Those who do fiberglass box stringers these days tend to have stringers with wider side walls and feet to better spread the load.

rodneyk
24-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Have owned 2 560F definetly timber ( ply wood ) great boat getting old now though tanks also glassed in seen a few recently requiring surgery probably have to factor in repairs as tanks were alloy and sweating over years is enough to corrode them thru but all in all a great fishing boat if you find a a well looked after one . At 25 grand with old motors stuffed trailer and surgery to do doesnt make a lot of sense just been thru exersize

johnverano
27-08-2011, 02:01 PM
wood stringers , Im sure as i am replacing a bulk head and 2 stringers on a haines 580sf prowler as we speak.
big job without taking off the console

mangomick
29-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Came across this old thread Re: Haines Hunter 560SF stringers and I can say that 1997/1998 560SF OMC Haines Hunter has hollow fibreglass stringers and not ply stringers. Just did a transom replacement on our old girl and the statement about some of OMCs build quality being average was pretty close to the mark. When we cut the back skin off to get the mush out (not one piece of the old transom was recognisable as ply) you could see the imprint of knot holes in the back face of the outer skin. I didn't think that Marine ply or structural grade ply was supposed to have large knots in the ply layers.
So I guess the answer is they could have either depending on what year and who made them. Guess I'm lucky in a way they are glass stringers otherwise we'd be having to replace the stringers as well.

xpaladoshous
29-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Interesting thread.. on a simalar note i have a 585 sf seeker 99 model.. and im looking at redoing the floor in the near future.. any ideas if it would be ply.. or foam..???

Gozz
31-08-2015, 07:48 PM
I have a 560 and when I first got it it had carpet which was pretty average.
I ended up ripping it out and what I found under the carpet was pretty dismal to say the least.
I sanded back the so called flow coat and added some extras to the kill tank and fuel tank area to strengthen those areas.
I can tell u that all was ply wood covered in f'glass.
There was no rot anywhere thank god.
I may also have been lucky cause I have a 160ltr stainless fuel tank and this thing is so heavy I reckon it's easy 3mm thick walls.

paullee
31-08-2015, 08:18 PM
I have a 560 and when I first got it it had carpet which was pretty average.
I ended up ripping it out and what I found under the carpet was pretty dismal to say the least.
I sanded back the so called flow coat and added some extras to the kill tank and fuel tank area to strengthen those areas.
I can tell u that all was ply wood covered in f'glass.
There was no rot anywhere thank god.
I may also have been lucky cause I have a 160ltr stainless fuel tank and this thing is so heavy I reckon it's easy 3mm thick
walls.

Hi Gozz, Did u pull the stainless tank out to work out it was that heavy? Mine has stainless tank as well. What year model is yours?

mangomick
31-08-2015, 10:14 PM
paulee
Here are those photos of our transom rebuild in case you cant access the others.

Smithy
31-08-2015, 10:58 PM
One of the mackerel pros here had a 560F and just moved it on as it was delaminating. He has gone to the new 535 Profish.

paullee
11-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,
For what it's worth I have an omc HH 560sf and it has glass stringers. Floor and transom needs rebuild glad not stringers too.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcuste
10-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Just to add to this thread, rebuilding a 95 560f and found it has timber planing plank and centre stringer the full length but the rest is glass and foam box sections. 116380