PDA

View Full Version : carbureted vs injected 4 stroke

jimbosplumbing
22-08-2011, 05:17 PM
just wondering what difference i can expect between a carbureted 4 stroke compared to fuel injection?

LittleSkipper
22-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Compared?? Strewth!! :o Fuel Injection would SNOTT all over the old and I mean OLD carby system. Put the hammer down in anything fuel injected and will certainly throw you back in your seat, put a smile on your dial ;D and save you money on your fuel bill.

Vitamin Sea
22-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Compared?? Strewth!! :o Fuel Injection would SNOTT all over the old and I mean OLD carby system. Put the hammer down in anything fuel injected and will certainly throw you back in your seat, put a smile on your dial ;D and save you money on your fuel bill.

Hmmm

It would seem that I have made a big blue with the 90 Hondas

Hope thay will be ok

Waraba Mick
22-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I wondered about this when i purchased a new 60hp yam 4 stroke 4 carb back in 2002 and stuck it on a 4.3 stessl angler. In 2005 my brother purchased a quinnie top ender 450 with a 2005 60hp 4 stroke injected yamaha. The only difference between the two motors seemed to be the way they started, the injected was first tap of the key cold or hot, the carb model allways took a few goes cold and hot was first go. Fuel economy, idle quality, hole shot, smoothness all seemed the same.

So vs i wouldnt write the carby hondas off until you compared them against an efi, the difference may not be that great.

Spaniard_King
22-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Exactly right mick. When both engines are warm you would hardly notice the difference in starting even.

jimbosplumbing
22-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Cheers guys for your thoughts, im looking at a boat with 2003 90 hp honda 4 stroke with mid 90 hrs. but just wanted to know a little more about the engine,

ozscott
22-08-2011, 09:37 PM
A well tuned good quality is not to be scoffed at. It can easily be as grunty or made to be more so than port injection. Direct injection may be different. I'm going on motor vehicles here. Cheers

PADDLES
23-08-2011, 07:57 AM
i agree with what SK and Waraba are saying, a well tuned carby is every bit as good as fuel injection, but carbies go out of tune and they depend on fuel quality consistency. they'd still be great motors but for use around a built up area go for MPI if you can. ecu's constantly adjust tune for any given set of input parameters and these days they're very reliable, especially from a quality manufacturer like honda. that being said, a carby will handle contaminated fuel a bit better than a fuel injector will, so if you're in a remote area maybe there's benefits to the carbies.

Smithy
23-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I had a 100hp carby Yamaha 4 stroke. It was no different to use than my EFI 140 Suzuki and EFI 150 Yamaha. It did get a bit rough at one stage and it had a bit of a white deposit on the idle jet of the carbie requiring a carby pull down. With the EFI motor you are going to have to be more pedantic with your fuel pre-treatment. No way in the world do you want to get water in your injector. A Racor or similar fuel filter with a clear water trap bowl is the go and all motors can benefit from using them. Those old 90 Hondas are pretty bullet proof other than for seals and starter motors. The ones I know about that were always doing their seals and starter motors were fitted to a cat so maybe it was related to misting problems. They ended up sourcing OEM Mitsubishi starter motors that fitted that were the same as a Sigma or something.