PDA

View Full Version : Rope

Vitamin Sea
22-08-2011, 06:09 AM
G'day

I need to get a couple of hundred metres of anchor rope for the boat, I was thinking 10mm silver.

Can anyone recommend where I can get some at a reasonable price? East or southside of Brissy would be good.

Also was looking for a bin to put it in, any ideas there?

Cheers

Bill

skipalong
22-08-2011, 07:46 AM
ats nets ropes would be your best best for all that ... clontalf on the redcliffe peninsula.

johncar
22-08-2011, 07:56 AM
G'day

I need to get a couple of hundred metres of anchor rope for the boat, I was thinking 10mm silver.

Can anyone recommend where I can get some at a reasonable price? East or southside of Brissy would be good.

Also was looking for a bin to put it in, any ideas there?

Cheers

Bill

That's heavy line Bill if its for off shore anchoring in 50 + metres. I would be thinking 8mm at heaviest but prefer 6mm personally for less drag, less space required so 300+ metres, it will break rather than your boat if it gets badly snagged. 6mm with about 100M or more out still takes a lot of breaking and I use it with a special shear anchor design, so it hardly ever happens.
I use about 5 metres of 6mm long link chain and the first 10 M is 10mm rope for chaffing resitance on the bottom, the rest is 6mm spliced into the 10mm.
For just anchoring up in the shallows and pulling up by hand, 10mm is easier on the hands though.

Don't know the best place to buy it but just ask for quotes at the local chandleries or online, shouldn't be hard to find a good deal. I have found the Nally bins to be the best, had the same ones for years, tough as, but haven't bought for so long not sure who stocks them. Got mine from Taylor Marine originally.

Roughasguts
22-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Have a look at Telstra rope It be a lot cheaper and better on your hands, that silver rope is bad news when it gets under your skin.

Cheers

tropicrows
22-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Try
OFFSHORE TRADING Unit 2/ 27 Ada St Coopers plains ph 32777400

Noelm
22-08-2011, 09:15 AM
not too sure I would be using Telstra rope on a boat that size! or 6mm for that matter, buy some decent rope and be done with it, even though it can be slippery, polyethelene is very good, lasts almost forever, silver rope is nice and soft on your hands, another thing about the Telstra rope, I was told (by Telstra guys) that it is biodegradable, that is, it breaks down and "rots" takes a while, but it will loose strength reasonably quickly (so they told me) and I must admit, I have some I use to tie stuff in my ute, and it is about 12 onths old and quite ratty even though it spends most of it's life in the cab.

Vitamin Sea
22-08-2011, 01:10 PM
thanks fellas, especially Skip

Decided to go with 12mm following advice from the supplier (ats nets), 250m x 12m rope + 7m of 8mm standard link chain delivered for $150.

I do the occasional overnighter out wide and I did not want to be worrying about anchor lines breaking if the weather comes up, which I have had happen a couple of times.

Thanks

cormorant
22-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Did you end up with nylon or just silver rope?

I won't go back to silver stuff as the nylon is just so much easier to handle , stronger but is a bit more expensive.

We also end for end our ropes as we keep them as long length and it gets a bit more life out of them if you do it well before it is needed. Forces you to check it's quality and wear or any damage.

Noelm
22-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Thank goodness you did not get 6mm "cotton" for an anchor line.

Vitamin Sea
22-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank goodness you did not get 6mm "cotton" for an anchor line.

Was NEVER going to happen Noel, I know of blokes on this site who have had 12mm snap in a storm.

Vitamin Sea
22-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Did you end up with nylon or just silver rope?

I won't go back to silver stuff as the nylon is just so much easier to handle , stronger but is a bit more expensive.

We also end for end our ropes as we keep them as long length and it gets a bit more life out of them if you do it well before it is needed. Forces you to check it's quality and wear or any damage.

Hi

Ended up getting silver, once again that's what the suppliers said they sold 99% of the time for anchor lines, good enough for me.

Thanks

Searaider 2
22-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Hay Bill ,
Sounds like you got the bits & pieces for a great price .
Pete.

captain rednut
22-08-2011, 08:12 PM
hey bill your new boat looks great, i know a bloke who likes hondas and may need a ride?? (DS) Lol, i hope i might see you on the water soon i am about 4 weeks away from launching.
cheers Jim

Smithy
23-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Great price!

I use 8mm. Only lost one anchor in 4 years of commercial opeation. I use it for the water drag factor and 330m fitted in a fish tub easily. It is harder on the hands though There is a massive jump up in surface area to 12mm. I find it hard enough hanging on some spots on sand now with a 15lb plough and 4m of 10mm close link. Just about to go to a 20lb or 27lb tripped plow and 5/8 chain for the upcoming cobia season. If people are snapping 12mm I bet it has rubbed off on bow rollers or had existing chaffing or something. If you look at the rated breaking strains 8mm is massive.

cormorant
23-08-2011, 01:43 PM
We have always added more chain on boats and depths we have had trouble holding anchor at. The anchor itself we have used some very lightweight ones a that still bite as the chain does most of the work. Chain used to beat bigger anchors to the bottom and dive mates showed me a few times how it tangled and would never set properly. Different bottoms are all different and we with a full cabin had lot of windage so plenty of veering .

Noelm
23-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Smithy, I don't doubt that 8mm will have more than enough strength to hold a decent boat, but at any sort of depth it is very hard on the hands, and 6mm is just cord, I would not like to pull that up from any depth with any sort of anchor on it, might be OK with an Alvey deck winch! (joking)

Fed
23-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I've anchored my boat many times at the Peak with 15Kg line, but wait, there's more...
from the stern.
My conclusion is that it takes very little to anchor a boat and 6mm 3 strand silver @ 375Kg is plenty for your average day tripping fisherman.
I bet if you could walk on water one person could hold a boat still in the open ocean.
My next rope will be 6mm, I'm going down to a pick with 1/4" prongs too, 5.2M boat.
I can tell you it takes a fair bit to straighten out even one 5/16" prong let alone 2 or 3.
There's a trick to bending them too, you only bend the last half, not the whole prong.

The next time someone quotes the 7 times recommendation I swear I'll go mental, twice the depth in length is ample, again for the average fisho.

I can't believe there's anyone out there that doesn't use an anchor yanker, I'm even using one in 10M of water nowdays. Too easy, set the pick, clip the yanker on, let out another 20' then go and fish. Start the boat, drive off then pull in the slack.

It all goes out the window if your sleeping while anchored and conditions could change on you though.

Just thinking back, my first couple of boats we used to use ski rope and no yanker and that was a real bugger to pull up.

MEGA'bite
23-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes Bill offshore trading is the go,let me know and i can pick it up fore you on the way hme one day
Try
OFFSHORE TRADING Unit 2/ 27 Ada St Coopers plains ph 32777400

johncar
23-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Well I never anticipated anchoring in storms, I usually get the hell out of there. As far as anchoring off shore over night, got cured of that after a near run over by a cargo ship. These days I either head home or into safe anchorage to camp where yeah you can use 30 metres of 12mm no worries which I keep on board for that purpose.
The 6mm or 8 mm depending on your boat size as Smithy said is for drag reduction in deeper water and who pulls their 200 - 300 m anchor line up by hand? Your just feeding it into the bin as your mate drives up to the float, or at worst if on your own pulling the float in, engines and float does all the work or the anchor drum winch if you have one.
We must be talking different purposes, methods, sorry if I misunderstood, but I use 6mm on my 6M boat and used to use 8mm on my 7M boat so it will break under severe load and have minimal drag in deep water plus you can have a lot more of it in the same space and its a lot cheaper. On the very rare occasion it has snapped it has been close to the bottom, lost a couple of anchors in 20 years of fishing and thats it. This is so it doesn't smash the bow sprit or anything else or pull the boat under. 12mm is rated at about 1250 KG breaking strain and I would never anchor with that size out wide and if you got hopelessly snagged up you may have to cut your anchor line at the surface which is very undesireable, 200 metres of rope floating around is bad news . Shallow water with a known sandy or mud bottom no worries.
Bin in this game a long time this is my experience anyhow, but you never actually said where you were going to anchor and why so I was only guessing because you were talking 200M or so of rope. Just trying to help.

ozscott
23-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I used 12mm Nylon on the Vag - its easy to handle but the windlass does it for me. Incredibly strong. I see you can get US made glow in the dark Nylon now...

Cheers

Smithy
24-08-2011, 09:28 AM
If caught in a severe storm I have always considered putting my sea anchor out off the bow and riding it out before thinking about putting my anchor out and riding it out.

More length of chain is great for getting your anchor to bite but it is compromise with the chance of it then going around/through bommies/cracks itself and being a problem. I lost an anchor at Boondooma once and it was clearly due to the chain in a crack as I came back to try and reclaim it when the tide went out and it was still impossible to get back. I've always tripped my offshore anchors and the one I lost 6months ago was the first one I have personally lost from one of my offshore boats and I am guessing it was the chain which was the problem that time. I've lost anchors with mates in their boats and some of the reasons there have been sawing the rope off at night on the bowsprit and driving over the rope retrieving with a bouy etc.

I've personally anchored in 117m and 107m and am commonly putting the anchor down in 70-85m so when setting up my setup I always wanted a full 300 or 330 spool of anchor warp not just 100 or 200m.

Noelm
24-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I reckon you can NEVER have too much rope, or never let too much out when anchoring, that is of course unless you are trying to pinpoint a location spot on, then you will adjust length of rope out.

Noelm
24-08-2011, 09:41 AM
OH, and just on the being "anchored" with fishing line, I have been snagged way out over the shelf in over 150 fathoms and stayed anchored with 150lb braid, ended up having to drive it off! so in fact it is not the breaking strain of the rope, but more some decent diameter to be able to grip it to pull it in.

stue2
24-08-2011, 03:26 PM
If caught in a severe storm I have always considered putting my sea anchor out off the bow and riding it out before thinking about putting my anchor out and riding it out.

More length of chain is great for getting your anchor to bite but it is compromise with the chance of it then going around/through bommies/cracks itself and being a problem. I lost an anchor at Boondooma once and it was clearly due to the chain in a crack as I came back to try and reclaim it when the tide went out and it was still impossible to get back. I've always tripped my offshore anchors and the one I lost 6months ago was the first one I have personally lost from one of my offshore boats and I am guessing it was the chain which was the problem that time. I've lost anchors with mates in their boats and some of the reasons there have been sawing the rope off at night on the bowsprit and driving over the rope retrieving with a bouy etc.

I've personally anchored in 117m and 107m and am commonly putting the anchor down in 70-85m so when setting up my setup I always wanted a full 300 or 330 spool of anchor warp not just 100 or 200m.

Hi Smithy. I have dived on plenty of snagged anchors and most were from the anchor dropping into a crack the wrong way up. Some were chain tangles but most were the former. What worked for us was to stop the anchor running out before it hit the bottom and straighten the chain laying the anchor the right way around.

We also used a chafing bag when anchored up for the night.

Just my experience.

Cheers Stu

Pazz01
24-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I've straighted all 4 prongs on a reef pick up here, we thought it must have went into a cravass or something. Took about 20minutes to get the buggar up going in all directions with the rope pulled as tight as possible on the bow. The nose wanted to go under a few times there. Not a pleasant experience.

The rope was 10 or 12 mm normal ancohor rope? So it was bloody strong and wouldn't break. Had a number rub off of late tho on the bottom.

Pazz

Vitamin Sea
24-08-2011, 07:13 PM
All good fellas

What I'm looking at is having 1 anchor line for offshore and the bay, was considering putting the offshore line in a bin but thought better of it, just something else to remember to put in the boat:P

I would be happy for 8mm or so on day trips but would not be all that comfortable on overnighters.

I to avoid getting caught out but it does happen, usually 50 k's out to sea, at night, so you can't just go hide somewhere.

I'm hearing you all, especially Smithy who would do more sea time in a month than I would do in a year.

If you are looking for rope, ring ats, very good price.

This Sunday is looking good at this stage, who's going? need to get the new beast onto some fish.

Cheers

Bill

cormorant
24-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah I think we are all on the same page.
Depends on bottom situation and conditions
Thin stuff is a killer on the hands, can rub through but has a lot less resistance
Get the anchor to hit the bottom first and then lay the chain not just hurl it over.
Always use a trip on the anchor or prongs that will bend before the rope goes
More chain can be better but at the risk of getting caught under or around more Bommies means you may leave a few more on the bottom.
Nylon is stronger easier to handle ( well I think) for same diameter has alot of stretch but more expensive

I'll add a couple here. We always wire or pein our shackles - seen a fair few that have undone themselves.

With Smithy on the huge storm or disabled boat as long as I didn't have a lee shore the sea anchor would be out rather than locked solid on the bottom or dragging.

Know your boat your usual gear and have quality back up kit in case it turns to crap.

Overnight and unattended anchoring is a different kettle of fish where full scopes and heavy tackle are used a lot more. We have used anchor buddy to make anchoring comfortable and ride out storms in expoxed bays in yachts to ensure the right angle pull on the tackle with chaffe chains someone on watch and gps on watch for dragging and even run the motor in gear for 12hours to prevent dragging in one bad one. . We carry specific rated heavy tackle and only pull it out when it is required and use lighter stuff the rest of the time as we don't like leaving expensive stuff on the bottom with good rope attached. .