PDA

View Full Version : The Imortal prawn.

MudRiverDan
21-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Well I have been keen to get out and have a go at the river lately for a land-based session.

Between the weather being a bit cold, the lack of bait, the tides not right and a large amount of luminous algae/plankton in the water and me getting my act together, well I have not done much fishing.

But I have been out a couple of times for a random cast net session to round up some live prawns for bait.

Anyway I end up getting a couple of small ones, threw em back, went home, decided to try the next night.

When I got to the river the next night
I opened up the large plastic bucket (like a plasterer's buckets) with lid and took out the cast net. As I straightened it out I noticed a prawn stuck in the bottom gill of the net, happens sometimes you miss one in the dark, so I gave the net a flcik and flicked it out onto the cement, thinking it would be dead as a doornail.

Just as I proceeded to cast I noticed the prawn started to flick around, amazed I picked it up and dropped it in the water, the prawn got upright and glided off...

Now when I finish casting I always shake the net and pack the net into the large bucket.
So this prawn had been in that bucket in my cast net with the lid closed and no water just moisture, in my garage for 24 hours :P

.. and survived

I remember a good way to store freshwater crays as bait was to put them in a wet hessian sack full of grass, not sure, but does the prawn have the same capabilities?

fisher28
21-08-2011, 03:12 PM
yeah its unreal how they survive.overnight like that in the cool,with a little moisture is fine.they must get up to a lot in their lives.we catch greasies sometimes that have antifoul coloured paint on them.and when we catch big banana prawns they can have small barnicles or even small amounts of coral growth and moss on them.if only they could tell stories!!

tunaticer
21-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Used to be a practice a long time ago to keep prawns alive in wet sawdust then wrapped in newspaper for several days when kept in the bottom of the fridge.....would be nearly 30 yrs since i have done that.