PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Bigfoot add starter motor

Hoges1
19-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a 60 hp 1998 Mercury Bigfoot pull start. It has a flywheel and starter motor bracket. Arthritis has made starting a bit painful. I'd like to add a starter motor. Any advice on how I should go about it and the cost. Anybody on the Gold Coast who can do it for me? Also like to add tilt trim. CMC PT 130 option?

Steeler
20-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Try shooting Spaniard King a PM, sure he can sort all that out for you.

cormorant
21-08-2011, 02:45 PM
A outboard wrecker who has a elec start one with a seized powerhead may be the way to go. That way you get the whole lot in one go. Will give you a idea on the going price for parts. Ebay etc you may find a damaged motor going cheap as wreckers don't offer much. Not 100% sure with that model but others have a smaller charge circuit on the non electric start models compared to the electric start ones so it may mean pulling the flywheel off.

Noelm
22-08-2011, 09:25 AM
remember it is not just a starter, you will need the wiring harness and key switch and a battery and anything else that goes with an electric start, and as mentioned, make sure your motor has a sufficent charging system and a way to connect it to the battery!