PDA

View Full Version : Marine Ply

sottydog
18-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi does anyone have any information on the best place to get marine ply(4-6.5mm thick) sheets. Also if there is anywhere close to hervey bay that would be better. Thanks Scott

marto78
19-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Give Mr Ply Wood a call in Geebung 3865 7677 I was down there ysterday picking up some offcuts.

10mm CD structural ply is $55/sheet, 9mm marine is about twice that, don't know about 6.5mm tho.

Stik-ugly
19-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Just check at Hancocks Plywood Mill in Ipswich they are closing down so you might pickup marine ply discounted.

hakuna
19-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Marto78 has got the idea
Cd structural ply and marine ply are identical except marine ply is a /a face rather than cd face

Cheers

sottydog
19-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys will check it out and see if they deliver. Will go and check out in person if delivery to excessive. Scott

Almako
19-08-2011, 10:18 PM
You could also check out Sharps plywood or Revolution wood panels, depending on which side of town you are on.

deckie
19-08-2011, 10:45 PM
There's a lot of rubbish caled "marine ply" about. Its brought in from places like Indonesia where there's no control/standards are loose and sold here for nearly double the price of construction/structural ply. Its really of no benefit paying the extra for the junk marine ply. Unless you;re prepared to pay top dollar for the true good stuff dont bother. Even then if the faces are good on quality non "marine" ply its a no brainer cost saving coz its more about quality control in the way you seal it...just because its marine ply doesnt mean its somehow far less likely to rot.
i.e. if it looks like a great deal on what they call marine ply chances are its not worth the extra dosh anyway. If paying good money for it do a quick google on the standards/codes in use and refer to this when purchasing.

sleepygreg
20-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Marto78 has got the idea
Cd structural ply and marine ply are identical except marine ply is a /a face rather than cd face

Cheers

What a load of crap. CD refers to the face grade of the ply. Certified marine ply has no core gaps (which cd ply has..as does dd, bb and all other face grades). Marine ply also has hardwood veneer outer surface. This in no way means you can just use it and not bother finishing it correctly. ALL plys must be sealed on the edges, and surface finished with good quality topcoats to meet the (often unrealistic) performance expectations of most people.

This,, of course, applies to plys produced in australia complying with AS/NZ standards. The imported stuff is stamped with whatever stamp the exporter needed to comply with the order.....good luck with it.

Greg

Saltdoggy
22-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey mate, yeah boral plywood is the go! i picked up 4 sheets for $130 on friday ;D My old man works there and they are closing down so be quick!