PDA

View Full Version : 17/08 charter with Rob Smith

Coodgee
18-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Had my first trip out with South Queensland Fishing Charter Service (Rob Smith) yesterday and it didn't disappoint. Myself and Charlie09 (fellow Ausfisher) booked this one and Rob paired us up with Jim and Geoff (or Jeff).

Leaving Maloolaba at 5:31 (I was a minute late and the boys let me know it), we headed straight out to jig some livies. within 30 minutes we had a tank of about 40-odd. So we headed straight out wide to one of Rob's AJ spots and we were in luck! The sounder showed a big patch of red holding a few metres off the bottom.

So first drift and we were all on! smiles all round as we had an immediate quad-hook up. I could see colour as my AJ ascended to the surface along with Charlie09's, but mine was busted off at the last moment, while Charlie09 landed a nice ~80cm AJ. Over to the left of me, Jim lost his AJ too but Geoff got his in the boat. So we went for another drift and we were all on again! This time I boated a nice 80-90cm AJ. Beauty! This went on for a while, with everyone hooking up on every drop. In no time at all we had our bag of AJs, all around the 80-90cm mark. Jim ended up with a real stodger to finish off that was a bit bigger than the rest.

I was also breaking in my new Monster Mesh Max rod and Saragosa 8000 reel and the combo did the job nicely. really perfect for this sort of fishing, not to heavy and not too light - capable of catching the fish but still requiring some effort from the fisherman not to lose the fish. In the shop, the PE 5-6 rod felt like a broom stick, but the AJs had it bending in a nice parobola.

So after a very successful first stop, we headed off to chase some pearlies. Unfortunately they didn't really play the game and we mostly got alot of under size ones, but 2 parrot and 2 pearlies came into the boat at this spot.

So then we headed to our final spot to chase a cobe, and I was lucky enough to land a ~90cm model on my first drop, falling victim to a yakka bait. It was my first ever cobe and it was amazing to see him shoot straight up to the surface. I thought for sure I was busted off because there was no weight on the line, but Rob was saying "just keep winding!". sure enough he came straight up to the top and zoomed around the surface for a while before falling into Rob's waiting net. The boys got onto half a dozen trag jew here before we had to call it quits.

All in all a great day. Rob put in alot of effor to find the fish for us and he knows these waters very well.

I think Rob took a photo of us all hooked up on AJs that he might put up.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5461/p1000651s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/p1000651s.jpg/)

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/748/p1000647a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/p1000647a.jpg/)

fisho8
18-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Not a bad catch there mate well done I was down at the scarbrough Ramp yesterday cleaning my fish and Moreton Bay Charters come in they cleaned up on the pearlies but said overall it was pretty quiet out there yesterday.

Kdog
18-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Yea, well done mate,Smithy always put you on the spot that's for sure.Good looking weather you had there as well!

Cheers Kerrod

charlie09
18-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Smithy, Smithy, Smithy..!!! What can I say? Absolutely fantastic..!! There is only one thing that I can add to Coodgee's report and that is your passion for fishing and the way you looked after your customers. The whole day I only had to bait my own hook once (because u were busy netting Geoff's fish). Mate you really know your craft. Am really really keen to do it again.

Thanks for a great day and good company ;D;D

Smithy
18-08-2011, 08:13 PM

They were all a bit fuzzy unfortunately.

Thanks for the write up! Was still a tough day on the reefies. No transducer for the Furuno will be a bit of a bugga for a while. Good to know there are a few cobia around and those trag should hang in for a while.

GPB
18-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Sounded like a reasonably quiet day all round yesterday with a few happy boats but no spectacular catches, although I heard 'Incredible' tagged a Short Billed Spearfish and had a Mahi Mahi keeper, we picked up a couple of Pearlies to 54cm in 85m.
All Good ;D

Smithy
19-08-2011, 04:20 AM
That was "Dream Catcher" Greg not "Incredible". The other Performance Plate boat out of Redcliffe, "Firebird" picked up a Stripey the other week and the two Johns down off Moreton have both had them on in recent weeks as well.

GPB
19-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Ah ha!! sounds like a few more hours on the water trolling are needed :D, thank you Robert.