PDA

View Full Version : DI overnight 16th and 17th

steelydan
18-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Took advantage of the back to bak 5-10 knot forecast on tuesday and wed this week to sneak up to di in a hope of finding a few reds. Onboard was my brother and fellow ausfisher the sheik. Having only been out through di once before we knew we would have a bit of a hard time finding fish but were happy with the final outcome.
We headed out through the bar at about 9 am on tuesday, the conditions were ok and started heading n/e destination was the shelf. Got side tracked on the way out on a lump 30 km out that we pulled a few cod and pearlies off, so was a good start. We then headed wide fishing a few marks for not much. Late in the afternoon we hit a mark in 60 m of water that looked quite good. Initially it waqs quiet but suddenly the sheiks rod went over. He called it for the bottom first but it started to fight back- a few minutes later his first legal red hit the deck. I followed a bit later with a smaller one leaving my brother silently fuming as he has never caught a red. Fortunately just of the original mark he hot hit and boated his first legal red. Followiung this it went quiet so we headed to the shelf to a 110 m ledge but we were drifting east west so were snagging too easily so we called in quits and heading back to 60m to anchor for the night.
The next day we scrapped aroung for not much, but at least the weather was spot on.
Overall the fishing was slow but we were all stoked to boat a legal red, break some pbs and the boat record. We travelled a bit over 270 km on the water to find the fish and i now have a serious appreciation the effort needed for those chase these fish on a regular basis.
Cheers Dan.

vertico
18-08-2011, 04:47 PM
top stuff nice catch in anyones books

Kdog
18-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Bloody hell mate, those reds sure look nice that's for sure!! Well done on the seafood smorgasbord you guys,top effort.
Did you fish through out the night, or do you anchor up somewhere to have a nap?, as I`m thinking of heading up there during the September school holidays.

Cheers Kerrod

XtremeBoony
18-08-2011, 09:52 PM
nice lookin feed there fella's...well done

cheers from boony

lightsout76
19-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Nice work alright, well done, cheers for the report!!:)

goggles
19-08-2011, 10:11 PM
nice bag of variety well done

littlemac
19-08-2011, 10:23 PM
some great colour there.

well done

cheers

brett

steelydan
21-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks all fot the replys
Kdog we anchored at about 9pm, we were going to fish into the night but were all too wasted after being up late the night before and up early, plus we kew we had the next day to fish, we tried to anchor on a nice show but the wind/drift changed throughout the night.
Cheers Dan

No Fear
21-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Thats a ripper catch there......thanks for the report.