PDA

View Full Version : Double PB day ruined by Odyssey Charters Mooloolaba.

Lovey80
17-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Took my little brother out today for the first time in a long while. He mentioned on the way out of Mooloolaba that he had never caught a Cobia so after throwing back the plague of 32-34cm Pearlies we headed for Caloundra wide to see if we could get him a Cobe.

First drift over a known spot I am on to a very large Cobia that gets boated at bang on 1.5m and needed us both to lift into the boat.

Second drift is started about 30m from the mark this time and the parachute is deployed to slow the drift. At this point a pro turns up close and realises that we are drifting the same wreck and moves off a few hundred metres and seemed to be jigging livies. No hits on the second drift and we turn back and begin the same drift.

Third drift again we set it about 30m up current from the mark, deploy the chute and drop the baits down again. Before we could get our baits on the bottom, a very big flybridge Sharkcat comes in from behind at full noise. He slows down as he passes 10m to our starboard side with about a dozen punters on board with rods in hand and baits ready to drop. The skipper from Odyssey Charters cuts around to our bow about 20m to our front (right on the mark) and tells his punters to drop their baits! Small Cobia are coming up left right and centre as I let my little cat Drift within 10m of the large shark cat. My Brother hooks a little 800mm Cobe as they move just in time out of our drift for him to boat it. It looked like they had no intention of leaving any time soon so very pissed off I leave for another location with the fish biting.

I ended up boating another Cobia at 900mm at the other spot before we had to head in. With 3 very nice fish in the esky I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I do know which charter boat I will be telling friends to boycott in the future with that sort of attitude.

Cheers

Chris

jeffo
18-08-2011, 05:48 AM
You were lucky to only have one boat do that to you on that spot. Can have half a dozen boats there some days trying to get in on it.

bustastu
18-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Thats a typical day on the wreck out there. 4 - 6 boats drifting over it. A certain charter boat normally sits just down current in reverse so others can't drift. Good to see its still holding a few nice fish.

Lovey80
18-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't have minded as much him setting up a drift behind me but to come in and cut me off by sitting over the mark is just plain rude.

Just_chips
19-08-2011, 08:02 AM
People are getting ruder by the day, there are ways to do things correctly and I have been on that wreck with up to 6 others who did not know each other but just took turns on the drift and everybody caught fish, it wasn't that hard.....

frankgrimes
19-08-2011, 09:12 AM
It's just that some charter operators believe they have priority as they have paying customers...should see the fun that can be had off the goldie, especially during mac season.

Mick

Bull
19-08-2011, 10:55 AM
One guy who operates out of manly is shocking for it

Wax_head
20-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Here are the GPS for the Wreck Mark off of Mooloolabla below,

S153......... you know that if I put a dummy mark in there people would actually put it in their GPS units.

Spread out people and look for the new ground, that is half of the fun finding spot x.

I went fishing last night and I was heading to a spot and a crew were already there so I found a new bit of ground and caught fish.

On a safety note coming in last night from the neerings there was a tinny with no anchor light on and it had one of those little bow light set ups for navs. Like the stick on ones that are a combo model. The bow was facing west and I was coming in from the east in the dark with my nav lights on.

All of a sudden there is a white light waving at me. If they didn't wave a tourch at me it could of been a fatality off of Mooloolaba.

Boaties remember when fishing at night make sure you have the correct nav lights on and when moving around on the water be prepaired for the unexpected. No fish is worth your life or the life of your fellow fisherman.

Stay safe everyone

NAGG
20-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I know I learnt very quickly in my offshore fishing ........ if you are fishing structure & you get there first - Anchor if you can ! ..... then with a combination of burley & quality baits you will bring the fish to you . Yes there is more effort involved but it works & allows you to fish the location & be less concerned about what others are doing - till they drift into you....

Chris