PDA

View Full Version : GC Snapper

matt fraser
17-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I went out with a couple of mates off the Goldy Tuesday morning on the hunt for snapper. We worked a few marks we had, for a few trag, and a little snapper. Between marks, we came across a little bump that was loaded with bait. As we dropped down Marc's 7" Jerkshad got smashed, he struggled to get the bail arm over, with line ripping off so fast. When he got it over the fish ran hard, on 10lb fireline and 20lb leader it took him into something on the bottom and bricked him.

A little patience and luck and the fish came free, a nervous few minutes fight and it was in the net. High fives all round!

She went 80cm on the mat, a new PB for Marc. It was a really solid snapper! we were all stoked, especially Marc! It was a great morning in top conditions and that fish certainly made our day. Pink shine strikes again, the jighead was a 1/2 Oz Nitro.

Back home on the digital scales it went 7.34kg, Cracking fish!

Gotta get back out there and try again to get one myself!

Cheers,

Matt

TREVELLY
18-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Nice fish - sure was light line too - lucky it came free that's for sure.

Well done

murf
18-08-2011, 07:04 AM
top effort on that light gear, well done

what depth were you in?

cheers Murf

Bull
18-08-2011, 07:22 AM
well done Matt,
Very nice snapper

SWANO1
18-08-2011, 07:42 AM
great pic matt of a very solid fish, thats fat for an 80cm model. good catchin up and having a quick chat at the afta show, every corner you went around there was someone else looking for a chin wag.
cheers swano

carnster
18-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Great snapper on the light gear.

mark johno
18-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey Matt, Great fish mate I wish I had stayed in close that day as most of the good fish seem to be there at the moment.

matt fraser
18-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys, it was a great light line capture, Marc was giving it as much as he could on 10lb fireline, and it still took a heap of line. Nothing like hearing a reel scream like that! Check out the rod angles on a Dropshot IM7 6-8kg rod.

The light line/leader and jighead gets more big bites, just a mater of trying to stop them then.

We were fishing the 18 fathom line, 95 - 105 feet on the sounder.

Swano, good to catch up, although brief, I was hoping to get up your end and catch up again, but I never made it. It took me two hours to get to the cafeteria.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt