PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft question

whitebeach
17-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Read a lot of good things about Polycraft boats, but not heard directly from anyone that has driven them or owned them. Any help out there?

fez
17-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep had a 530 cuddy for 4 years, what do you want to know? PM me your phone number if you want me to give you a call.

fez

frankgrimes
17-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Yep, have a 4.5 CC drifter...had it since 2008...had a stacer tinny prior to that, chalk and cheese comparing the two...poly is fantastic....zero maintenance hull, soft riding and predictable....they do like hp though(so make sure you go for max hp for given hull), and storage is a little lacking(but can be resolved with some lateral thinking!). I have no probs taking mine out to the 36's off goldcoast.

Mick

whitebeach
17-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm interested in a 5.99 Cuddy, just wondered how soft riding they are, responsive, safe, stable etc etc

whitebeach
17-08-2011, 09:02 PM
What lateral thinking for storage ideas?

fez
17-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Whitebeach,
As Frank said above they need max HP across the range but more so in the larger models. The pluses are:
1. Hull material floats and is very easy to work with (screw into, fix, cut etc)
2. Zero maintenance hull
3. Drive on trailer
4. Handle well stable at rest

Minuses are:
1. Lack of side storage, cabin storage is ok
2. Softish hull, but can be fixed easily
3. Stickers don't stick to them that well

They are not everyone's cup of tea but for the purposes I needed at the time it was perfect. They are pretty tough don't have to worry about the big dropper sinkers smashing into the side of them.

Try polyboatowners website also.

fez

frankgrimes
17-08-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm interested in a 5.99 Cuddy, just wondered how soft riding they are, responsive, safe, stable etc etc

5.99 never been in one, but check out http://www.polyboatowners.com - heaps of info there.

frankgrimes
17-08-2011, 09:20 PM
What lateral thinking for storage ideas?

They lack some storage compared to other boats, but can be easily rectified with some lateral thinking...especially in the smaller models(i.e. casting deck with storage underneath) - The good thing about them is that if you f**k something up, it can be easily fixed with a heat gun and some poly to bring her back to new.

Mick

TheRealAndy
17-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I own a 4.5m. Would not own a 6m. Great boats, take a floggin but the hull design does not change from the smaller boats to the bigger. Simply not a good blue water boat.

LittleSkipper
17-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi whitebeach

I am also an owner of a Polycraft...a 4.8mt Brumby Cuddy Cabin,it has a 75hp Mercury 2 stroke w/- an 18 inch S/S prop. Storage is a pain along the inside gunwales but I still have under floor storage x 2 under the Cabin area and storage under the seats as well as underneath the rear seat. As the other guys have mentioned very low maintenance vessels and very stable.

I have had a few things done since ownership. 1: Fitted blue LED Lighting in & around under Cuddy Cabin area. 2: Dual Battery & Switch system. 3: Tailer made Bimini Top.If you would like to know more PM me?

whitebeach
17-08-2011, 10:37 PM
in what way is it not a blue water boat?

TheRealAndy
18-08-2011, 08:22 AM
in what way is it not a blue water boat?

Have a look at the bow, designed for stability not for carving up waves. Dont get me wrong, better than a plate boat in rough stuff, but just dont compare to a good glass boat. The dont track well in big waves.

BGG
18-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I've had quite a few boats over the years and the last 2 were poly's. I had a 4.1 for a couple of years and sold it to upgrade to a 4.5 side console. They are both great boats. I bought the 4.1 brand new and got every cent back when I sold it 2 years later.
The 4.5 I have now is wonderful. Just remember to go max HP as previously stated and be prepared to replace the odd rego number.
I love 'em just because of the way they handle and the ease of maintenance.

Giffo65
18-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I had my 4.55 Poly CC for 9 years now and they are good for their size,better than a similar size tin boat.Stable at rest and no upkeep,yes max HP is the go.The 5.99 is not as smooth ride as a Glass boat of same size,but if you are at rest more than you travel ,then they are great stable boats.

aumapo1
21-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey twindragons - im close to giving a 5.3 poly centre console the nod, a quintrex sales guy said to me watch out for ripply in the hull have u seen this happen? does it affect the ride or is it just a cosmetic concern?

thanks
matt

Fed
21-08-2011, 04:11 PM
better than a plate boat in rough stuff
How did that get past the plate zealots?

LittleSkipper
21-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Gidday matt...alias (aumapo1)

Sounds like the quintrex sales guy was trying to steer you away from polycraft? But in all honesty to your question...YES! there is some slight ripply effect in the hull but that is only because of the way the boat is manufactured when cooked in the mould.
When I went to the Brisbane Boat Show last year (2010) the sales guy from Polycraft explained to me that they come out of the mould quite wobbly looking until the plastic sets hard, they don't have the smooth appearance a fibreglass boat has but they are strong and very stable & you can do things to a poly boat you would not even dream of doing with a glass boat.
Check out polyboatowners.com for more info or send me a PM?

Cheers
Wayne.