PDA

View Full Version : GC kayak Cobe

carnster
17-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Conned my spearo mate fordo to join me for a paddle this morn; promised him a big fish. The swell was ok big sets breaking out wide but a few gaps. Jigged some yakkas and had 2 good runs but pulled hooks, spewin. Showed fordo the honey hole and i got hit again winding back my big yakka which was now dead and seriously mangled. Fordo jumps in and immediately comes back up wrestling a big cobe. It gets away and fordo quickly gets his reserve gun and swims down for shot number 2. A minute later he surfaces with a 1.45m, 20kg cobia and shows me how the 1st spear easily pulls out. Fordo then paddled back to shore and i stay for some fun on the plastics; caught and released some snapper and trevally and a 1.5m wobby. Had a whale come up close to say hello, then i paddled back in without any fish. Good times though. Congrats to fordo who has had quite a few trips for no reward. Those who think spearing is an simple way to get a feed, i can assure you it is not easy and is often not as effective as fishing.

URAGANGI
17-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Top reward for getting in the drink with'em, not for me though..I'd rather watch. The honey hole hey, LOL great name for a sweet spot.
Congratts on your efforts!!
Viper.

nigelr
17-08-2011, 12:23 PM
better watch it carnster or you'll become a convert to the real dark side lol, spearing is yet another life-long aquatic addiction.....so much fun when it all comes together!

carnster
17-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Na mate too scared of sharks and i have a fear of not coming up fro air quick enough.

URAGANGI
17-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I"m also a bit shark shy, If things get a little dirty downstairs, and up close is too close... Google up WASP KNIFE. As a dead last resort. This should allow you a couple more breaths of that rich sweet air. These knives are dam right mean and final.
Viper.

carnster
17-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Got no idea what ya talkin bout Viper. What's a wasp knife? Googled it. Got it. Fordo has a shark shield.

MudRiverDan
17-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Awesome catch mate!

Chances are if your close enough to a shark to stick it with a wasp knife, then it has most probably got a bite out of you already...

cheers

nick-o83
17-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Nice work mate.

Headed out this morning hoping for a cobe but after covering a bit of ground only ended up with a few trag and a mac tuna. heaps of undersize squire in the 30 - 34 cm range haha

seanwinter
17-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Nice fish Chris and great photos of Rob in the water it certainly gets you pumped when you spear a good fish, I think its about time you jumped into the water and joined the fun!!!!

Kewy
17-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Fordo what a legend!

grinnerking
17-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Carnster I've been reading a few of your reports - tales of big seas and winds and now whales and speared cobes from the yaks. Crazy stuff. I'm thinking it might be a while before I push my Hobie into the deep blue. Looking forward to your next adventure. Stay safe!

carnster
17-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks Grinnerking, all i can say is get that hobie out there for some good times.

tsea
17-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Geez Chris sounds so so much better than our day!
Sean and i just talked fishing.
Usual spot huh.
Well done to Fordo.
cheers
TC

TREVELLY
18-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Carnster you certainly get extemely good results at a very economical input.

Some outings you could use a film crew - they are visualised to me a bit like the Albey Mangles outings.

Mate I am sure you are getting a lifetime of memories from these trips you will reflect upon in later life - good for you.

Don't have to get too far away from civilisation to be in the wild hey.

Thanks for the report.

A solid cobe.

carnster
18-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Yeah Trev lovin the kayak.