PDA

View Full Version : outboard oil

lunchcutter
15-08-2011, 07:57 PM
hi guys in the process of changing the oil in my outboard anyone recondmend some good oil to use on my 150hp 2 stroke 98 evinrude outboard

FishHunter
15-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I assume you mean gearbox oil? if in doubt get some from your Evinrude dealer

lunchcutter
15-08-2011, 08:36 PM
no i mean injector oil

ozscott
15-08-2011, 08:46 PM
In my engines including in my 94 oil inj yammy I only use quicksilver Merc low ash oil made for their optimax range. Very very low smell and low smoke when cold and now visible smoke when warm. Cheers

ozscott
15-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Premium Plus

Cheers

FishHunter
16-08-2011, 05:36 AM
no i mean injector oil

AFAIK thats the same motor I have, which is carburetted. Evinrude went fuel injection after 99 and Johnsons stayed carburetted.
I have been using Gulf 2 stroke oil but am not overly happy with it lots of smoke when cold etc. I will be changing to XD50 when this batch is finished.

oldboot
16-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Another one for "Quicksilver Premium Plus", I've changed two motors over to it ( one from the cheaper Quicksilver product and one from Valvoline) and the difference is significant..less smoke and smell, and the motors seem to sound better and run smoother.

From what I hear it is one of the best oils around for simple old two strokes...and it is reasonably priced especially if you buy by the 5 litre.

cheers

Noelm
17-08-2011, 08:37 AM
almost any "premium" oil will be good, the Quicksiler is a good one, as is the XD50, just stay away from the elcheapo rubbish, I know, I know,a dozen people will pop up and say " I have used Kmart/Supercheap/whatever oil for years! well good on you, if you are happy to put up with unnessary smoke, then so be it.

Fed
17-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I have used Kmart/Supercheap/whatever oil for years and never had a problem.;D
On a serious note I've got a mate who's an old OMC trained guy and I asked him about XD50 on my '88 model, he said why waste the money because my VRO2 isn't calibrated for it anyway.
I'm a smoker so I think I'm pretty much immune to the smell but I can surely understand how it would upset some people.
How much can you getXD50 for & can you mix it with TCW3?

Noelm
17-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I guess you could mix it, just like Quicksilver premium plus and so on, it is just high quality TC3W (kind of) I dont think it lubricates any better (though it might) but there is a hell of a lot less smoke, even in an old "clunker" I have not bought any 2 stroke oil for quite a while now, since i sold the Merc with the tinny, and sold the old Fichts, so I am out of touch as far as prices go, I still use my old oil in my whipper snipper and Victa edger, even though outboard oil should not be used in an air cooled two stroke, I have enough to last me a year or so yet.

oldboot
17-08-2011, 10:57 AM
The way I hear it there is no advantage to running the synthetic oils intended for the direct injection machines in the dirty old tech 2 strokes.

But there is a significant advantage to running one of the up market TCW3 products intended for the older 2 strokes.

cheers

Noelm
17-08-2011, 11:02 AM
correct, DFI oil is not to be used in an "old" 2 stroke, even if it is oil injected, just a high quality "premium" oil is all that is needed.

Noelm
17-08-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess we should have a quick run through on 2 stroke outboard oil, first we have standard old TC3W made by almost every manufacturer, it complies to a certain spec and is used in "old" 2 strokes, including oil injected, (if your a tight arse) then we have a "premium" blend, that is used in the same engines, this oil far exceeds the rated spec, it burns with little smoke and smell, then we have the DFI oil, which is used by fuel injected motors, like e-tecs and others, it should not be used in an older motor, however, plenty do use it without issues, but seems like a waste of money to me, as it is expensive to buy, air cooled motors ,like your lawn mower should not use water cooled oils, they have their own blend, although plenty use old TC3W (me) in chainsaws and mowers and stuff. Now, do not confuse oil injected, with fuel injected, two very different things.

Fed
17-08-2011, 01:06 PM
If someone made outboard oil smell like snags & onions on a BBQ they'd corner the market.

Noelm
17-08-2011, 01:10 PM
hey, I think you might be onto something there, lets patent the whole idea and be rich!

PinHead
17-08-2011, 05:04 PM
wow..what a bunch of sooks the males of this nation are turning into. The only way to go fishing..cold winters morning..start the motor on full choke..the motor fires..screams as it revs out and smoke belching out. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..the sights, sounds and smells of real fishing. Anyone that does not like that should just stay home and take up knitting.

I use Quicksilver oil.

BM
17-08-2011, 07:29 PM
wow..what a bunch of sooks the males of this nation are turning into. The only way to go fishing..cold winters morning..start the motor on full choke..the motor fires..screams as it revs out and smoke belching out. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..the sights, sounds and smells of real fishing. Anyone that does not like that should just stay home and take up knitting.

I use Quicksilver oil.

Yeah its a bit strange to watch the shifting of attitudes in recent years. For all these years we had the engines we had and now we have a new breed of engines. Strangely enough, people are so concerned with fuel economy now as never before and quietness and low odour etc etc. It's quite weird, as if the boating members of the public changed overnight?

I suppose many people who love the quiet factor of their engine would probably not step up to a larger cruiser then as the sounds from a Berty 25 or Mustang 32 or whatever with their twin engine warble are quite loud when cruising along at 20 knots.

PinHead
17-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah its a bit strange to watch the shifting of attitudes in recent years. For all these years we had the engines we had and now we have a new breed of engines. Strangely enough, people are so concerned with fuel economy now as never before and quietness and low odour etc etc. It's quite weird, as if the boating members of the public changed overnight?

I suppose many people who love the quiet factor of their engine would probably not step up to a larger cruiser then as the sounds from a Berty 25 or Mustang 32 or whatever with their twin engine warble are quite loud when cruising along at 20 knots.

come on BM...20 knots? if you are not doing at least 25 you are are dawdling. Nothing better than hearing a couple of V6 sterndrives beliting out under the floor. At 40 knots the sound is great.

BM
17-08-2011, 08:24 PM
lol!

I have found that 20 knots equals about 3000rpm in most larger vessels oddly enough and is a nice cruise speed. (Too each his own I guess!).

But yes, at 40 knots the roar of twin V8's in a Mustang 32 is pretty cool. Although, its not conducive to good conversation levels, or vertical chardy glasses;D

Noelm
18-08-2011, 08:59 AM
It was also considered "normal" to have kerosene lamps instead of electricity, and to sit around a wireless instead of TV, and air cond in a car was a quarter window opened up a bit to let the cigarette smoke out! sure WE might be getting soft as time goes by, but then, maybe being just a bit soft is a good thing, but as mentioned, an early morning start at the ramp with a few old 2 strokes roaring their heads off and belching out clouds of smoke is an unforgetable thing.

PinHead
18-08-2011, 04:26 PM
lol!

I have found that 20 knots equals about 3000rpm in most larger vessels oddly enough and is a nice cruise speed. (Too each his own I guess!).

But yes, at 40 knots the roar of twin V8's in a Mustang 32 is pretty cool. Although, its not conducive to good conversation levels, or vertical chardy glasses;D

I used to cruise at about 24 knots...only wrung it right out once..41 knots on the GPS..those V6's were singing a beautiful tune.

PinHead
18-08-2011, 04:27 PM
It was also considered "normal" to have kerosene lamps instead of electricity, and to sit around a wireless instead of TV, and air cond in a car was a quarter window opened up a bit to let the cigarette smoke out! sure WE might be getting soft as time goes by, but then, maybe being just a bit soft is a good thing, but as mentioned, an early morning start at the ramp with a few old 2 strokes roaring their heads off and belching out clouds of smoke is an unforgetable thing.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh Noel..the days of the kero lamp in the row boat fishing at night during winter..some great memories there.

Stuart
18-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Kero lamps! kind of puts you into the old farts league.

ozscott
18-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I am confident that the Quicksilver Premium Plus is better for my plugs. My 18 year old Yammy starts too well (literally cant hear the starter most of the time before she fires) after idle for ages/trolling compared to when I first got it and it was running standard Yammy oil. So less smoke and smell, but better running too in my view.

Cheers

PinHead
18-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Kero lamps! kind of puts you into the old farts league.

smart A..yep..and loving it.

Noelm
19-08-2011, 08:05 AM
forget kero lamps, what about carbide lamps, do any 'old farts" remember using one of those? they were as bright as buggery, but had a tendancy to blow up now and then.

Coontakinta
19-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Have heard that castrol TCW3 is the same stuff branded as yamalub. Can anyone confirm of debunk this?