PDA

View Full Version : Steering assistance

Mustang1600
15-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Can anyone advise me what type of steering this is ?, There is a bolt on the other side holding the wire in. I did some googleing and its either a Rotary or a mechanical setup. The Steering housing is completely rusted and the cable is also rusted out and needs to be replaced...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

And where i might be able to find a replacement kit online?

Mustang

**EDIT**
I did some more searching on the net and i measured from the center of the wheel to the outside of the boat and then down to the end of the boat and from there to the center of the outboard its 380cm give or take a few cm. Coveting that to Feet = 12.4ft

Would something like this do the trick ? maybe a 14ft setup ?
http://www.boatbits.com.au/marine-parts/steering/teleflex-quick-connect-steering-system

Fed
15-08-2011, 12:49 PM
It's mechanical cable steering, the 'rotary' refers to the helm.
Take a look at it, the helm will probably be rotary and will look basically round.
Rack & pinion will look like a long 'bar' behind the dash.
Check the outer sheath of the cable there could be a length written on it down the motor end.

Mustang1600
15-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks Fed for the reply,

The protective cover that goes over the wire has been stripped, all that is exposed is the wire, this runs half way up the boat, so iv had to measure it :(

I had a look behind the helm and it looks like the wire goes in at the bottom and curls around the top and there's about 40cm wire that's exiting the top.

Mustang

Fed
15-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Your helm is rotary and it's better if you measure the old cable assuming it was a good fit.

jason p
15-08-2011, 01:05 PM
:(it looks to be a rusty one :);)

Mustang1600
15-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys for the input,

when i first got it i was so excited i turned the wheel and i heard this crack... i almost S**T myself. i went down the the back of the boat and found the covering of the wire was gone and the wire had unwound itself..

from what i can see ill have to cut most of it out as its rusted into joints. the wire is quite solid now. Hopefully ill be able to pull the wire from within the outboard with little issue, Fingers crossed.

Fed,
When its all cut out ill lay it all down and measure it, would it matter if it was a little longer then the original ?

Mustang

Fed
15-08-2011, 01:26 PM
When its all cut out ill lay it all down and measure it, would it matter if it was a little longer then the original ?
It all depends on how much room you have to 'absorb' a bit of extra length.

griz066
15-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Go with no feedback system it is worth the xtra $$$

http://www.boatbits.com.au/marine-parts/steering/teleflex-nfb-safe-t-ii-steering-system

Mustang1600
15-08-2011, 01:37 PM
hmm, there is a fair bit of space, but i think i get where your coming from. I might just get some rope and measure it that way to make it easy.

Should i measure from the bolt on the outboard to the end of the steering wire ?

Griz:
Does the no feedback system work ok with 1979 100 evinrude ?

Fed
15-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Ring them up or email them, the crucial measurement is the sheath.

Postal Adddress

P.O. BOX 219
WILLOUGHBY NSW 2068,
1 McCABE PLACE
CHATSWOOD NSW 2067
AUSTRALIA
Phone Numbers

Phone: (02) 9417 6099 Fax: (02) 9417 8969
Email Addresses

Enquiries: sales.info@teleflex.com.au
Last time I dealt with them (years ago) they were extremely helpful.

Mustang1600
15-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Cheers thanks Fed, ill give them a call and see how i go.

Thanks again everyone

Is boatbits and biasboating the best places to buy boating gear online ?

Mustang1600
22-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Ordered the No feedback system..

Arrived in a beat to hell box, a bag for each item and the wire.. Kinda sad the whay it was shipped.. But it all looks ok.. Ill get it installed this weekend and hopefully it will run smooth :)