PDA

View Full Version : Cairns partially calm waters..

centrefire
14-08-2011, 11:50 AM
G'day

I've lived in Cairns for 9 years and owned a tinny for 6 months and have only ever fished the Barron river.
My desire is to reach Double Island from the Barron mouth. On the occasions that I've wandered out a kilo or two, there's always been chop roughly a half to metre high.
In a 4.3 and 30 ponies it's going to be a major trek over to Double Island as you can well imagine.
My question, where does everyone launch from? Palm Cove would be the obvious, but I've yet to see a boat launch from the ramp there. Trinity Park and Yorkey's appears to be out of my league and statue, as my tinny lacks the 8 bunks, 3 toilets and four main sails or whatever !

Cheers

vaughn.

Stressless
14-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi Vaughn

Don't ever launch from Palm Cove, there's no protection from any swell. The slightest wave will swamp your boat trying to get on or off the trailer, too many tinnies have suffered that fate, me included.

Yorkeys or Reed Rd is the safest option, and remember, size doesn't matter, its how you use it!!!

Steve

centrefire
14-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Ha ha, size doesn't matter, hey Steve ?
Thanks for that mate. Pity there's no access from Richters Creek at Holloways...how does that and Thomatis Creek fish, by the way?

Cheers
v.

Dan5
14-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I used to launch my 4.5 at Yorkys.......no worries used to see the odd 12 footer going in aswell.

I'd stay away from palm cove ramp mate,thats an acciedent waiting to happen there.........it must have been put in for the surf rescue or something as theres now way you would normally build a ramp in such an unprotected area.

Dan

centrefire
14-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, Dan.

That ramp shall be avoided. It looks challenging as all hell. Pity though.
Guess it'll have to be Yorkeys then.

Cheers

v.