PDA

View Full Version : What size battery would you recommend?

Bilopete
13-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to convert my tiller to centre console and add electric start to my outboard.

The motor is a 1997 35HP elan evi.

I basically want to run the outboard, handheld gps, sounder and a VHF (possibly nav lights in future).

Bias boating have specials at the moment for Seamaster 60A/H (575CCA) for $149 or the Allrounder Supercharge 60A/H (525CCA) for $179.

Based on detail sin catalogue, only the Allrounder is a deep cycle (if this makes much difference).

Would a battery this size be suitable for spending a few hours on the water once or twice a month?

Or should I look for something around the 80A/H?

robothefisho
13-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Anything resembling a small car battery would be fine. It takes nothing to crank over small 2 strokes. Don't get a deep cycle as its not suitable for what you describe. You could probably get away with buying the smallest/cheapest marine battery you can find.

BM
13-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Agree with Robbo,

Something around 260CCA or less would be fine so anything above that would be fine also. A basic 'multifit' (Falcon or Commodore) at 460CCA would be more than enough.

No need to have an deep cycle for your application and "all rounders" typically aren't really. Batteries are usually either a cranking battery (high output for short period, rapid recovery) or deep cycle (low output for a long period of hours). A combination of both is considered more a marketing angle.

To give you some idea, a 460CCA CRANKING multifit weighs 15kg (give or take a couple hundred grams). A Trojan branded DEEP CYCLE battery used in golf buggies etc weighs 38kg. 2 totally different batteries of course but the difference between cranking and deep cycle is as clear as that for the most part. There are some smaller deep cycle batteries that obviously weigh less but typically a deep cycle battery is considerably heavier than a cranking battery.

cheers

Bilopete
13-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Ok then guys thanks for the response.

Based on that advice it would be silly to go over the top, I would imagine that the Sea Master Marine battery for $150 sounds good enough, besides I couldn't anything cheaper in Rockhampton.

Thanks

Pete

xjonox
16-08-2011, 08:35 PM
ok, i noticed this thread seems to have served its purpose so i guess its safe hijack it, i wanna buy a secondary battery for my boat, (just for safety purposes i like the idea of having the switch from 1 to the other) i dont have too much to rig up, a couple of 12volt ports/bilge pump/outboard starter/radio/chartplotter,
and a few lights.
does anyone know what sort off battery i should get?

BM
16-08-2011, 09:04 PM
In a twin batt system they should be the same battery, same CCA, same vintage etc etc. This ensures they are equally charged.