PDA

View Full Version : Nearly seized steering..advice pls

Rapson
12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I've got an old 1989 Yamaha 140Hp which has really stiff steering. I installed a new steering cable etc about a year ago. The problem is in the pivot on the motor itself. I pumo new grease into it and it comes out the bottom but not the top. Pretty sure the top is full of old hard grease causing my stiff steering.

Any hints/advice on getting the old grease out? I was thinking of hitting it with a hair dryer to warm it up and try flush out the old grease?

Any one tried this before or anythng different. Not reall keen to dismantle it, would rather get a new donk which is on the cards.

OPTI
12-08-2011, 06:50 PM
i usually heat the top bush up with the oxy ,i doubt the hair dryer will have enough heat .proably better of letting a pro do it .

robothefisho
12-08-2011, 06:57 PM
i usually heat the top bush up with the oxy ,i doubt the hair dryer will have enough heat .proably better of letting a pro do it .

Exactly what he said.

Rapson
13-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys, I will give it a try with the oxy and see how she goes.

OPTI
13-08-2011, 03:31 PM
if your doing it your self here are a few tips .
1 remove lower splash cowling
2have a bucket of water on standby with rags in it
3big hammer and punches and cold chisels
4use the cold chisels to put up pressure on the swivel shaft,i usually wedge it inbetween the top mount bolts and swivel bracket.
5 have a big grease gun ready to go
6 heat the crap out of the top bushing area and concentrate on the grease nipple side
7 remember aluminium doesnt glow red like steel ,it just melts when it gets too hot
8if you dont get grease out the top bush on your first attempt ,let it cool down and repeat the process
9disconnect the steering cable ,so you can rock the engine side to side by hand easily and quickly
10 when it frees up pump as much grease thru as you can and rock the engine from side to side [lock to lock]
hope this helps

TheRealAndy
13-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Here is a tip, dont use grease. I use transmission oil, and I pour it into the cable housing. Grease is shit, it just dries out and seizes up.

OPTI
13-08-2011, 05:18 PM
were not talking about the cable andy ,its the engine top bush;)