PDA

View Full Version : Patching Up Cut-outs in Helm Area

Splash
11-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Hello all.

I need some advice on what material is best used to patch up this cut-out shown in these 3 photos - which is in my helm area.

This cut-out is indicated by the yellow area shown on each photo.

I will be placing my new aluminium helm panel over the front (down from the cutout I want to patch up).

Thoughts /advice?

Splash

Splash
12-08-2011, 07:57 AM
thoughts?

splash

Noelm
12-08-2011, 08:18 AM
I guess you can just glass it up and paint it like I did, mine came out perfect (well almost) a professional will do it if you dont feel too confident.

Splash
12-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Thansk.

What material do i need?

i.e. flowcoat, what mesh size fiberglass sheeting, etc?

Byte

Noelm
12-08-2011, 10:26 AM
when I did mine, I patched them up sort of roughly with ply and glassed from behind to fill the major part, then glassed over the front and sanded, and sanded, and sanded.... then applied a bit of fibreglass "bog" made with talc and resin, then sanded, and sanded, and sanded..... then painted in two pack, but you could flowcoat to get that "new" look again, I was spraying the whole console, so painting was the best option, believe me, my console was a thousand times worse than that bit you have. The mat I used was lightish chopped strand, I thing 225GSM.

Splash
12-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Thansk Noelm.

How did you initially place the plywood in place before and during the the glassing steps?

Splash

Noelm
12-08-2011, 11:06 AM
mine was a bit easier because it was flat, but there was one secion I did that was curved, I just cut a piece or pieces that were a reasonable fit, and 'glued" them in place with some bog, then glassed them over from behind, you will probably need to make it in a couple of bits, unless you are a guru glasser, or can make a rough mold of it somehow.

Noelm
12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
as you can see, I had lots to fill, and the left side was curved and had a few bigger holes there too, plus I had limited acess through a small door. all in all, it came out very good, even "in the flesh"

Noelm
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I might add, one pro i spoke to said to just use cardboard to fill the hole, when you glass from the front, the cardboard does not need to be there, it is only to provde a backing to glass over, I did not do that though, but I can see it would be OK and easier maybe.

Splash
12-08-2011, 11:17 AM
You did a great job! Well done.

Cardboard is a great idea...

Splash

Lucky 1
13-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Impressive job Noelm.

I used opaque polycarbonate, but I only had to cover a flat panel when replacing a sounder.