PDA

View Full Version : Baysport Boats

Mad one.
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Team Ausfish,

I am interested in some information on the Baysport range of boats, I like the look of the 575 but I have found very little info about them. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad...

I know they used to be the Freedom range of boats and they had a bit of a poor rep as an offshore performer, offshore is my main fishing style.

Are they worth a look?

Any info would be most welcome :)

Cheers,

IcyDuck
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Don't know much about them but had a look at the 640 earlier this year. Fairly basic but seemed reasonably well built and a great price. They're made up at Noosa apparently. They have an unusual concave planing keel. It's supposed to help them get on the plane quicker and at a lower speed. It would be interesting to see how they actually perform offshore.

Worth a look it think but I'd like to hear from someone who has/had one.

Regards,
Phil

AnthonyL
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I bought the 620 last year and am very happy with it.

fisho8
11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I looked at the up in Burpengary not a bad looking boat for the money really I was looking at the 620 offshore the only thing I found is the finish of the Gelcoat was a bit ordinary..you could really see the Matting of the glass throught the sides to and I was looking for a more enclosed cabin. I found this review on them to. Not sure if you have already read it but I might give you some more info on them anyway.

http://www.baysportboats.com.au/reviews.htm

Mad one.
12-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I bought the 620 last year and am very happy with it.

Thanks Anthony, Can I ask what do you think of their Hull design? also do you know what your towing weight is loaded with the 620?

Regards,

Mad one.
12-08-2011, 12:05 AM
I looked at the up in Burpengary not a bad looking boat for the money really I was looking at the 620 offshore the only thing I found is the finish of the Gelcoat was a bit ordinary..you could really see the Matting of the glass throught the sides to and I was looking for a more enclosed cabin. I found this review on them to. Not sure if you have already read it but I might give you some more info on them anyway.

http://www.baysportboats.com.au/reviews.htm

Thanks for the Link,

Interesting about the Matting on the glass...

Regards,

fisho8
12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes when you look at the boat side on you can see straight through the Gel coat through to the fibreglass matting the Stejcraft was the same when I looked at them to just made me question how thick the gelcoat was on them. I looked at the cruisecraft and the Whittley I have now you cannot notice it as much as what you could these not going to take too much away from them but I would have liked to go for a run in one but in my 2 trips up to the dealer nobody up there was really interested in selling boats by the looks because I was never approached by any salesman whatsoever. Their loss really.

XtremeBoony
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
have a mate that has got the 6.4. For value for money you can't go wrong and it would be hard to find anything cheaper. handles ok offshore but still jars a bit on impact. But like I said for the price you can buy one for you can't go wrong. Came with sounder combo, rod holders, clears, storm covers, live bait tank, safety gear and the list goes on. The trailer it came on is well built as well. Easy on and off drive on. He upgraded to a 150 yammy 4 stroke and getting about 1.5km to the litre. All up he paid about 52k drive away. Might be a bit more expensive now. I still always say YES when he offers an offshore trip to put it plainly :)

cheers from boony

IcyDuck
12-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey Booney. Do you know how your mate went as far as weight on the trailer is concerned with the 6.4 and the 150 yammy 4 stroke? They're a big boat with a 2.45 beam. When I looked at them earlier this year I was a bit concerned that you would be struggling to get the package under that magical 2t limit. The hull weight is listed at 930kg. You'd probably get it out of the yard just under but there wouldn't have been much room to option it up later.

Regards,
Phil

robothefisho
12-08-2011, 06:54 PM
The 575 model? Forget if it was a Freedom or Baysport. Overall, not a bad performer. Probably very family freindly boating. Personally I don't think it would be great on long offshore runs, or if your used to somthing better.
Pro's- Very stable at rest, cheap, family freindly, big cabin, pretty good fishing room. Ok performer.
Con's- Terrible low speed, off plane manouverability. Extra terrible in reverse as it has no hard keel or sharp edge to make it track. If your in a side wind trying to reverse a straight line, you will get blown further sideways. Only an issue trying to drive onto trailer or dock etc. Cabin drums, probably because the hulls pretty thin and flexible.

Overall- It's not a great performing hull, but it doesnt do anything silly. It rides OK again not the best, not the worst. But more towards being average then good. The hull design really only helps stability, because it sure doesnt help anything else. They're cheap and you get what you pay for. Overall pretty good value and will outperform the equivalent priced tinny. Probably a similar ride to a quinny millenium hull.

AnthonyL
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Anthony, Can I ask what do you think of their Hull design? also do you know what your towing weight is loaded with the 620?

Regards,

Towing weight fully loaded I have no clue sorry haha. The boat rides well and is very stable at rest. As far as the thin gel coat goes I cant say I noticed a problem. I havent noticed a problem with going in reverse either, not that I use reverse very often.

The cabin has plenty of room and plenty of room left for fishing, I like the walkaround for easy access to the bow.

I think the boat is great for the money and if I had 20K more to spend I might have still bought it as it serves us well.

Back In Black
12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Had a 620 for a while with a 150 Yammie 4 stroke. Hard to fault for the price. Top speed 40 knots, but a bit jarring in a short chop. Found the finish to be excellent, but maybe because I dropped in each week to check progress as I live in Noosa.
Tony

Mad one.
13-08-2011, 01:58 AM
The 575 model? Forget if it was a Freedom or Baysport. Overall, not a bad performer. Probably very family freindly boating. Personally I don't think it would be great on long offshore runs, or if your used to somthing better.
Pro's- Very stable at rest, cheap, family freindly, big cabin, pretty good fishing room. Ok performer.
Con's- Terrible low speed, off plane manouverability. Extra terrible in reverse as it has no hard keel or sharp edge to make it track. If your in a side wind trying to reverse a straight line, you will get blown further sideways. Only an issue trying to drive onto trailer or dock etc. Cabin drums, probably because the hulls pretty thin and flexible.

Overall- It's not a great performing hull, but it doesnt do anything silly. It rides OK again not the best, not the worst. But more towards being average then good. The hull design really only helps stability, because it sure doesnt help anything else. They're cheap and you get what you pay for. Overall pretty good value and will outperform the equivalent priced tinny. Probably a similar ride to a quinny millenium hull.

Thanks for that, I am not to sure I would be sold on value alone. Just looking for a good honest offshore rig around the 5.5 meter mark.

johncar
15-08-2011, 08:29 PM
The Tournament 1900 bluewater may be worth a look, I can't comment on it's off shore performance though, I have a different model which I am very happy with overall.

I found a review here which gave a positive report if you can believe these things. Always best to do your own homework and use the reviews as part of that.

http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/60818.aspx

Mad one.
15-08-2011, 09:59 PM
The Tournament 1900 bluewater may be worth a look, I can't comment on it's off shore performance though, I have a different model which I am very happy with overall.

I found a review here which gave a positive report if you can believe these things. Always best to do your own homework and use the reviews as part of that.

http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/60818.aspx

Thanks johncar,

I do like the Tournament boats, I have had my eye on the 1800 Tournament, I would like bigger however I have to be realistic about what I get as my next Boat. The main issue I have is that my current 4x4 can only tow 1800kg and I am not up to a car upgrade as well Yet :)

I have read a report that put the 1800 Tournament at a towing weight of 1750kg loaded so I sort of put that out of the equation based on that alone, being to close for comfort for my towing weight. Like you I don't read to much into boat reviews in magazines.

Thanks,

johncar
16-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Yeah that is a shame about your towing capacity, it limits you a little and unfortunately off shore capacity dimishes somewhat for every foot of boat you lose. I think that I would be pushing the boundaries. My situation was similar that I wanted to keep under 2000kgs and mine weighs in at 1940 KG fully loaded with fuel and gear. I am willing to manage that weight and be carefull not to loads heaps of unnecessary gear on board, good in a way, will keep the boat tidier. If I catch a lot of fish;) then I figure the fuel will go down to compensate. I also specified weight saving devices on my BMT such as Alloy trailer and Alloy Targa, cost a little more but saved about 150kg.
Good luck with it all, always a hard decision.

thelump
16-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Have you looked at the Yaltas yet. May fit the bill??

Lancair
16-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Ive got a Tournament 1800 with Etec 115 and I LOVE IT. Cant comment on towing weight because Ive never weighed it, my Hilux tows it easily. Offshore its great. Very stable at rest compared to a few Seafarers and CC Ive been in. The ride might not be quite as soft as my mates older CC in the rough stuff but ALL boats will bang in rough water eventually. Id like a bigger motor but funds wouldnt stretch to the 130HO Etec. 140L tank, dont believe the sales story of approx 160L. I measured the tanks external dimension and it can not possible hold more than about 150, so allowing for the baffles and internal being slightly smaller Im calling it 140L to be safe. Have had 4 guys offshore fishing with no probs, 3 is ideal tho. I had a good look at a Tournament 2000 last week, much bigger cabin space but about the same if not slightly less fishing deck space.

Lancair

johncar
18-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Ive got a Tournament 1800 with Etec 115 and I LOVE IT. Cant comment on towing weight because Ive never weighed it, my Hilux tows it easily. Offshore its great. Very stable at rest compared to a few Seafarers and CC Ive been in. The ride might not be quite as soft as my mates older CC in the rough stuff but ALL boats will bang in rough water eventually. Id like a bigger motor but funds wouldnt stretch to the 130HO Etec. 140L tank, dont believe the sales story of approx 160L. I measured the tanks external dimension and it can not possible hold more than about 150, so allowing for the baffles and internal being slightly smaller Im calling it 140L to be safe. Have had 4 guys offshore fishing with no probs, 3 is ideal tho. I had a good look at a Tournament 2000 last week, much bigger cabin space but about the same if not slightly less fishing deck space.

Lancair

Yeah that seems pretty normal with fuel tanks specs I think they must measure the external dimensions and cube it from that. I am just in the habit of taking about 20 litres off what ever they say. I think mine was rated at 210 Litre but as expected I get about 190 litres into it full.
But that is getting close to 400 KM range so I am happy with that. Gives me about 3 offshore trips per tank full. I would think you would get similar Lancair
And yes you are right "They all Bang" I have been out perhaps in hundreds different shapes, models. It's always the compromise you look for to best suit your needs and budget. Drive the boat according to it's design capability and sea conditions and no worries. Even Cats have their achillies heel.

Mad one.
18-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Lancair

Thanks Lancair,

Can I ask what year Hilux you towing with?
Also how do you find the driving position in the 1800, from the photos its looks a little off? also I am a Suzuki man would you think a 115 4 stroke suitable...

Regards, SK

oldie
18-08-2011, 08:42 PM
i saw your other thread i'd go the cruise craft over a baysport any day of the week, i'd literally prefer to piss on my own leg than own a Baysport, main comment already is you get what you pay for, i was always told 'you cant afford to buy cheap' especially if you want safety and performance

Richo1
19-08-2011, 06:52 AM
i saw your other thread i'd go the cruise craft over a baysport any day of the week, i'd literally prefer to piss on my own leg than own a Baysport, main comment already is you get what you pay for, i was always told 'you cant afford to buy cheap' especially if you want safety and performance

Can you please give us some more details on the safety and performance you are talking about? To call a boat unsafe you must have something to back up your claim, just because the gel coat/glass may be thinner! Some tinnys are 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm; doesn't make the 1.5mm unsafe. A $40-60K price difference is huge, while most us would like $100K to throw at a "prestige brand" reality is we have to purchase a commodore! It basically means buying a reasonable boat now and go fishing or wait another 10 - 20 years to save up the coin and maybe too old or sick to enjoy it! To save up another $40K after paying the morgage is not easy - its abit like the realestate agent saying can't you just get another $40 grand......computer says no!

oldie
19-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Foam filled Hull, Meeting CE Certification over 40 years experience in producing boats that's just 3 good enough reasons for me.
I guess resale of the Baysport too. 40-60k price difference? not sure if you relies what boat I am talking about, looking online they start at 50k the 530 Cruise Craft Explorer. I never said that the Bay Sport was UN SAFE but bet my left nut if it came down to it the CC would be safer once filled with water. I just know which one i'd prefer to be riding in.

I own a commodore too, i'd more say the Baysport is like a Great Wall, they are just re badged Freedoms.

Richo1
19-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice comparison, i wouldn't touch a Great Wall for no particular reason just wouldn't. i should have mentioned the size 6.o - 6.4m. range.

oldie
19-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Nice comparison, i wouldn't touch a Great Wall for no particular reason just wouldn't. i should have mentioned the size 6.o - 6.4m. range.

yeah jump over 6m and there is a world of options brand wise and price wise.

Lancair
19-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Mad One, I tow with an 09 TD Hilux. I find the driving position good, Im 6'2" and it works for me. I have bashed my knee against the bulkhead but learnt to stand slightly differently in rough stuff. Re putting a 4 stroke 115. Id think it might struggle a bit, mine with 4 blokes, full tank and gear takes about 5-6 secs to get on the plane, a tad slow for my liking, solo, its great. If I could repower mine without breaking the bank Id go the 130HO from ETEC.

Mad one.
22-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys,

I can now add a 5.5 viking into the pick now! seems to have a lot of good reviews as a sea boat, again does anyone know the towing weight of one of these...

Cheers team!

Shawn 66
30-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Can not comment on the safety or finish of the Baysport as that style / make / size of boats do not interest me . However was talking to a dealer that was at the recent Boat Show and he stated he sold 17 of them.
Shawn

Back In Black
30-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I heard that claim as well. Another boat manufacturer on display said that was the greatest stretch of the truth he has heard for a while. The bloke you were talking to is known to exaggerate. He told me he had sold 9 & I was talking to him at 4pm Saturday, so he had a big Sunday!
Tony

Shawn 66
31-08-2011, 03:09 AM
I heard that claim as well. Another boat manufacturer on display said that was the greatest stretch of the truth he has heard for a while. The bloke you were talking to is known to exaggerate. He told me he had sold 9 & I was talking to him at 4pm Saturday, so he had a big Sunday!
Tony
Tony,
Can not prove it either way bud , so am not going to get into an argument over it .
Tight Lines,
Shawn

Back In Black
31-08-2011, 05:27 AM
Shawn,
I agree wholeheartedly. Just passing on what was told to me. I would love to think it was true, as that generates lots of work & dollars for lots of people, & the marine industry could do with an injection. Saying that, his stand was one of the busiest I saw whilst I was there, & he had some very keen pricing. It might also be a bit of the tall poppy syndrome. Why pat someone on the back & congratulate them on doing well when you can cut his legs out from under him!
Tony

Refugee
31-08-2011, 02:58 PM
My mate boat one, 575, so there's proof of one :-)

AnthonyL
31-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I hope they did well with sales again this year, they are a good boat for the money and I couldnt be happier with mine (Other than an issue that the boat will not sit properly on the trailer, I will get that looked at when I get it serviced soon, oh and a door latch is rusted already)

I have met a few other Baysport owners on the water and at the boat club and havent heard any negative reports, I couldnt find any online either before I bought it.

I had a look through there on Sunday at the boat show all the desk areas were full with people buying them and it was pretty much dead everywhere else, so who knows.

Good luck to any Queensland boat builder that can generate jobs in this economic climate.

Back In Black
31-08-2011, 04:25 PM
AnthonyL,
My first boat was a Baysport 620 & I was rapt in it. An all round well constructed, good value local product. I put an L & R latch on it & it was brilliant to drive up on the trailer. Couldn't really fault it, I just wanted to go a bit bigger, hence trading it in on an upgrade.
Tony

mattyd
01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
We've had the 2006 Freedom Escape (same company) 5.3m cuddy cab c/- 90HP ETEC for 5 years now and as a first boat it's been a great experience for us.

Only thing I would change is cabin height and anchor accessibility (v.hard when you're 6ft 4 to get the bloody anchor through the hatch each time!).

Ride quality & planing is very smooth. It may not be the most elaborate of construction quality but that's why we only paid $30 grand instead of $50-60 grand to get a very similar experience for OUR needs.

I took a look at the Baysport range at last years boat show in Bris and I would happily re-invest with them again based on the bang for buck.

Lancair
30-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks Lancair,

Can I ask what year Hilux you towing with?
Also how do you find the driving position in the 1800, from the photos its looks a little off? also I am a Suzuki man would you think a 115 4 stroke suitable...

Regards, SK
Finally got a chance to take it over the weigh bridge today. Approx 1.6ton on the trailer with 85lt in the tank, all normal safety gear etc and light load of fishing gear, bait, ice etc. At that weight Im 250kg under the GCVM for my hilux. Its rated 4.25T and was 4.0T on the weighbridge today. Normally my Hilux weighs in at 2.34 empty with only me on board, I had 60kg of extra passengers (my kids) today. Not a lot of room to load up with gear and a few mates and stay legal. :-(

Mad one.
01-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Finally got a chance to take it over the weigh bridge today. Approx 1.6ton on the trailer with 85lt in the tank, all normal safety gear etc and light load of fishing gear, bait, ice etc. At that weight Im 250kg under the GCVM for my hilux. Its rated 4.25T and was 4.0T on the weighbridge today. Normally my Hilux weighs in at 2.34 empty with only me on board, I had 60kg of extra passengers (my kids) today. Not a lot of room to load up with gear and a few mates and stay legal. :-(

Thanks for the extra info mate,

I spent the better part of today crawling all over a new 1800, WOW that thing as some room.... one thing I did notice was the flimsy side pockets, do you have any issues with yours? but over all it ticks a lot of the boxes at this stage :)

cheers,

Lancair
03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Yeah I have to agree there, the side pockets are a bit flimsy but as long as no one stands on them they'll be fine. I have to tell my little kids not too stand on them.
I did have some issues but they were all resolved quickly by TPB factory and I am more than happy with the boat now. I LOVE IT. And yes it has heaps of room, more than most of the same size. We've fished 4 guys offshore several times, 3 is ideal but 4 is workable. Everyone who has been out on my boat, comments on how nice it rides through rough stuff and how stable it is at rest compared to other boats they've fished on. The bait tank pumbing needed upgrading and the bilge pump was a bit on the small side (400gph, replaced with 1100gph model). I would like some padding for knees along the gunwalls, will do that one day.
Cheers

didstar
03-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi, Im new to Ausfish and new to Boating. I was looking for quite a while at a lot of different boats and when we saw the new Baysport 545 sports at the brisbane boat show, we found that we liked it the most. as i said, i am new to boating and therefore cannot comment on many things but as an engineer, I found it to be the best build quality for the money.

I am planning on using it for family days on the river and also to take offshore when I am brave enough. We ordered ours at the boat show and have since seen the production schedule; we are aiming to get ours mid november. I know the guy at Noosa only likes to build 3 boats a week (think thats one of each model) as to keep costs down otherwise he would need another shed and more employees etc. I know from the boatshow and from seeing the schedule that Baysport have sold 12 of their new 545 model.

Hope this helps. and I hope I won't be too annoying when asking lots of questions for advice on boating and fishing in the near future.

Back In Black
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi didstar,
I annoy the crap out of everyone with my questions, so make sure you don't miss out! I am reasonably new to boating & fishing as well, for about 18 months now, & continually ask questions. Thats what this forum is all about, & I always get really good help.
Tony

didstar
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Tony, good to hear. I can't wait for the delivery on the boat. I think this forum is great, I have already got so much info and a lot is so relevant to our area on the coast. Thanks, David.

Back In Black
03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi didstar,
What area are you located in? You've read the thread right through I am sure, & you'll see I was really happy with my Baysport 620. It was my first boat & I don't think I could have chosen much better for a first attempt. As I said, I wanted to go bigger, hence the upgrade. My wife bought me the Baysport for a wedding anniversary present, & she still gives me grief about it as I only had it for 7 months before upgrading, so she tells everyone I didn't like her anniversary gift. Don't I get some disparaging comments & looks from her friends!
Tony

didstar
21-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I went to see Glen at baysport boats today, I turned up without warning and asked if I could take a look around. He was more than happy to show me around. I was good as he had about three boats on the go all in different stages. I must say that seeing the actual guts of the boat and not just the shiny shell made me feel even more satisfied that we had made the right choice.

Glen explained the build process and pointed out some key features in the construction And design of the boat and explained their function and purpose. He has clearly been in the business for a long time and i would recommend that if you are thinking about a baysport but still not sure - go visit him and take a look at what he is building!

David

Jarrah Jack
21-10-2011, 04:23 PM
David....Was he using much ply in the construction. Like in the floor, stringers and transom. just interested to know these things. The US boats moved away from ply a while ago and I'm wondering if the Aussie boats are following.

AnthonyL
21-10-2011, 09:37 PM
When is your delivery due?

didstar
22-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi, there is ply only in part of the transom and to support hinges and cleats etc. my boat is due mid November, l looking forward to it.

WalrusLike
13-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi folks, I have got the go ahead to buy something up to $40k and a strong indication that she wants a 'new' boat not second hand. (I disagree but won't look a gift horse in the mouth). I've read this thread thoroughly.

I am thinking of getting the Baysport 545. I slightly concerned about their trailer quality and their reversing tracking without a centre ridge to act as a keel. Also the comment about the cabin 'drumming'. How much extra over the price will dealer delivery costs be?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this boat? Still can't find much online about them. I've seen their capacity on their site as 5 persons but brochure says 6?

And is this too big for my 2wd 2.6 litre petrol manual hilux ute? I asked in another thread but wondering now about this boat specifically.

Sorry about so many questions. Thanks for any input.

oldie
18-04-2013, 03:09 PM
in that price range i'd be looking at the tournament for Quality and value for money they around 40k online, ones down here in tweed run Optimax so better than the Yamaha Old Tech 2 stroke, be worth a look if your not 100% on the Baysport

WalrusLike
18-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Sorry Oldie..... Thanks for the reply but that's an old thread... I bought a 4hrs old Baysport a year ago and love it. It was on the market because of a marriage breakup.

It's a compromise like every boat, but its compromises are in the right areas I think. It perfectly suits my needs. Too small of course, but I don't want to tow bigger. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

oldie
18-04-2013, 08:36 PM
no worries for some reason a liked post came up on my notification and it went straight through i didn't even read the post date!! all good glad your on the water!