PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Trip

MEG-A-BITE
08-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Went out for a fish with the Mrs. and my lads yesterday. Left from Bribie at 6:30 went out to Hutchies and saw a few boats in the usual spots, but did not see much happing. Saw lots of bait busting up around us. My boys had a lot of fun catching Mac and striped tuna; we caught 6 then decided to look for some fish for dinner. So off to the 80-90m mark for a drift. The fish were there but very small. Loads of PP and snapper but all around the 30 cm we did manage 3 legal PP and 2 snapper at 45cm. Also got 2 kings on the jig and lost one to a shark. On the way back the Bay was rather ordinary with a rather ugly chop from the wind. We had a great time caught some fish and to top it off a spectacular show from a whale that jumped 100m from the boat. Then proceeded to slap the water with its tail for 5 min, not sure what it was doing.The lads enjoyed the PP for dinner.

JACE...
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Meg a Bite,
What methods were you using for the Tuna fishes, The Striped Tuna are not to shabby in a tuna bake.
Maybe another ausfisher can shed some light on why the whales do the tail slap, I have seen it but never researched it.

Cheers

MEG-A-BITE
09-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Jase,
We were getting them on small rapala xraps and on small slugs when they got close to the boat.Never crosed my mind to eat one thou?
They are a very good fight for thier size.So good fun on light gear.