PDA

View Full Version : Going Deeeeeeeeeep

thelump
08-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Went out wide chasing Bar Cod etc yesterday. Arrived at SPB just after light and proceeded towards the Amity end as per usual. With an East swell and no water it was decided to turn around and head up to the Northern end. This was better but still a nervous crossing. Through the bar and the auto pilot set and off we head to about 40km straight out. Arrived quite a while later and deployed the deck winches in around 240m of water. To cut a very long story/day short we ended up with 3 Bar Cod ranging from 3-8ish KG a gummy shark and quite a few of those green eye sharks with the big spikes near the fins?? There was a lot of winding done on the winches for not a whole lot of reward but the banter kept the day enjoyable. Left out there around 130pm for a cracker ride home in great conditions and back through the Amity on the back of a wave.
No pictures taken ,sorry, but just imagine a big brown fish with its eyes exploding out of its head and yoiu get the idea.

JACE...
08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Love the no pics taken comment,
I have intentions on sussing out this deep water fishery we have on our doorstep.
How many times did you wind up +250m of line.

Cheers

littlemac
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
well done macca at least you got out, those bar cod are pretty good eating i hear

well done

cheers

brett

thelump
09-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Love the no pics taken comment,
I have intentions on sussing out this deep water fishery we have on our doorstep.
How many times did you wind up +250m of line.

Cheers

There were three of us and only 2 deck winches so I shared with one guy. I reckon I would have done about 8-10 wind ups and only one with fish on it!! Hard yards. Electric reels woul;d be more pleasant

thelump
09-08-2011, 07:38 AM
well done macca at least you got out, those bar cod are pretty good eating i hear

well done

cheers

brett

Yeah had some last night Brett. Very tasty indeed.