PDA

View Full Version : Offshore V Moreton Bay

bigjimg
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Gidday,A mate and I fished Deep Tempest on Friday 5th for 4 fish,3 squire and 1 Gold spot.Conditions were crappy and the wind played havoc with the drift line but we persevered.Still enjoyed ourselves and even though the fish didn't play the game was good to be out.On Sat arvo we packed the gear in the boat for an overnighter with the kids out in the bay.Needless to say it was a glorious night,the kids70101 had a great time while I played deckie and we came home this morning at around 9am with this catch.2 snapper at 59cm and 4 others at 40cm,with a70102 couple of memorable bust offs in between.13ltr of fuel used compared to 72ltrs and we got more fish and didn't get smashed around.Lifes good.Jim70103

TREVELLY
07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
You did well Jim and I am sure brought to the younguns some life long memories they with cherish for years to come.

Precious moments and some great fish.

Thanks for the report.

Dougi
07-08-2011, 05:47 PM
How you going Jim
Have a look at my report in saltwater reports titled overnighter in the bay and the week before titled moreton bay is alive.I have to ask the same question is it worth the extra fuel and the bashing you get outside.I love offshore fishing but you gotta ask yourself is it worth it especially when they drop the bag limit on snapper
Cheers Dougi

bigjimg
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Gidday Dougi,I too love getting offshore,it would have to be one of my favourite boating experiences,but the missus absolutely nails me when we come home with little to show for all the exspense.The Bay is on fire at the moment and for the effort required to get offshore the Bay is certainly a cheaper alternative for top shelf results.Strangely no Cod made an appearance.Not that i'm complaining.Jim

MEG-A-BITE
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Bigjimg,
I sure understand, took my Mrs. and the kids out yesterday and did 90 km round trip did find some fish but if it was not for the whale we saw the Mrs. would have wanted to come back sooner.
I agree the bay is a great option and not a long or expensive trip.
Cheers.

ozassassin
08-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I still like to get out side when i can, but do agree mate at the moment there are plenty of pickings in the bay.

My wife will only go into the bay for a fish, and i hate it when i look over at the bar and it's calling out to me to cross.

Eric

jason p
08-08-2011, 03:46 PM
a great weekend with the kids mate, memories that will last forever. i have fond memories when the old fella would take me fishin,thats when the addiction started.
the wifey cant complain about that lot in the esky now, nice going.
an old saying, never leave fish to find fish. no point going past spot x in the bay if she's producing just to head of shore for a feed.

jp

bigjimg
08-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Just a bit more info on what did the damage on these critters,bait was bottle squid and large green banana prawns.Any prawns left over are cooked up and eaten provided they're kept in good nick,try doin that with half a bag of pillies.Woolies had them for under $13/kg at one stage.Rods were 4-6kg Uglystick overhead with 6400C4 Abu reel 6kg Stren mono 14lb fluorocarbon leader and 3-6kg Phleuger spin with Shimano Slade 4000FB with 8kg braid 14lb fluorocarbon leader.It's hard not to eat the bait before you go,must have will power.Jim

timddo
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with eating bait. The prawns I bring fishing are eating grade big prawns. Squid is fresh squid. Usually if the fish don't bite, I have a feast with the kids.
A small stove foes wonders on the boat.

One of my best catches was in the bay. Bagged out on Jew. 3 pob, so 6 jewies

bigjimg
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Funniest thing i've seen was one of my co-workers start to eat the pillies.He was from Tokalau north west of NZ.I'll never be that hungry.I hope...Jim

Mattg68
12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
well, well, well, even the young ones are showing you up already Jim. put your big boy pants on son.

good work on all accounts.

matt

Scalem
12-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I just love being on the water, full stop, inshore or offshore, but I'm not going to bash around offshore giving my crew a few bruises if I can help it, it has to be good conditions for me wherever I decide. Curious situation at the moment for me though, have not managed to line up a good offshore trip in a few months mainly because of the ordinary weather on weekends, so these little bay trips are not burning the fuel up quickly enough for my liking. Out of the 150ltr capacity I still have about 60 ltrs left since approx 3 months ago.

PB snapper in the bay is only 6.5cm short of my PB snapper offshore, and the last good session in the bay I scored 3 from 79cm. So a good day in the bay is still a dream when the fish decide to play as they did for you this time.

Scalem

bulldogs7
13-08-2011, 08:12 PM
mate any tips for spots in the bay i usually fish outside but kids are getting sick of that,crap weather and not much fish lately any spot would be great help cheers