PDA

View Full Version : Need new porta loo...for the boat and camping...

ozscott
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi all, the faema bi pot has finally died after years of service - the rubber seal where the slide is is stuffed, owing to the kids closing it on toilet paper...

Having said that in the last year or so it would leak down with the top tank filling the bottom tank - why I dont know.

What is the best brand and type to go for - it gets use in the boat and in camping. I dont think I will go for another bi pot unless people are having a better run than I did with the leak down issue.

Cheers and thanks.

ozscott
15-08-2011, 07:01 AM
After much research including talking to other campers and inspections of toilets I opted for the Thetford 2 series. The most expensive but excellent. Bought and oztrail bag for it too. It's in the boat being used as designed. You can all breath a sigh of relief. Cheers

ozscott
15-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I was wrong - its a 3 series, the 345.

Cheers

charleville
15-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Given that you had the Bi-pot for some years, you do seem to have been a bit harsh in not forgiving its infirmity in old age. :'(

Especially so since, I notice, that they are at a really good price at Whitworths at the moment ..... $94.90 for their 13 litre model. :hammer: I paid something closer to their normal price of $146 when I bought one a year or two ago.

Mine hardly gets used but I like to boast that my tinnie has "facilities." ;D

ozscott
15-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Charlaville mate yep i am probably being a bit harsh. I was swayed by the no splash release of the lower tank and also the vented top tank that should stop bleed down when left in the boat. I think in hindsight I probably abused my old one a bit. I saw the special at whitworths and thought hard about it.

Cheers

Ps. Not too many tinnys have facilities mate so that is actually quite impressive. Cheers

timddo
15-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Do you guys do number 3's and 2's in these ports loo
I thinking of buying one for the Misses. Back of the boat is good enough for me.

charleville
16-08-2011, 06:51 AM
By all means, get one for your missus. She will appreciate it. Even for yourself, if you get caught short on a long outing. By law, you can urinate into Moreton Bay but not more than that. Mine hides under under a plywood box that has carpeted sides and a vinyl cushioned top which looks and acts like a purpose built, comfortable, soft fishing seat at the back of the boat. Only I know any different to that. (Let's just keep that secret between the two of us, shall we? ;D )

These things use chemicals and water to dissolve all solids and paper so what you will pour out when it has done its job is just a liquid. Pour it into your home dunny or into special collectors such as you will find beside the toilets at the southern boat ramps at Manly Boat Harbour. The manufacturers will sell you their own brand of chemicals but a far cheaper alternative is to get the home brand equivalent to Napisan in Coles or Woolies. The caravaning community will tell you that the home brand varieties are actually better for this purpose because they contain more of the active ingredient that does the job. The recipe is something like one teaspoon per poop.

The best two brands in the market are the Fiamma Bi-Pot and the Thetford Porta Potti. The others like the Coleman brand and the home brands that you will find in KMart or BigW have quite shallow bowls which you might find a bit off-putting. Also, you will easily find parts for Thetfords and the Bi Pots all around Australia but not the others. The current seasonal catalog price at Whitworths for the smaller Bi Pot puts them in the same price range as the cheapies anyway.

The other differences between the cheapies and the Thetfords and Fiamma relate to the finish, for which the Thetfords have the best glossiest finish, which probably infers something to users about being able to keep the surfaces hygienic, I suspect. The other issue is whether the water from the upper tank is flushed in using a piston pump or a bellows type pump. The bellows type pumps invariably wear out and need replacing. All the cheapies that I have seen use the bellows type. The Thetfords use either according to the model with the piston option being the more expensive. The Fiamma Bi Pot has only a piston pump.

The Fiammas and Thetfords come in different capacities and therefore height - which also relates to user comfort, of course.

Don't be embarrassed to get one for your boat. Hide it under a seat or something like I have done. Your missus will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Carry it to under your canopy or cabin when it needs to be used, clip on a cheap tarp to the canopy or half cabin for a temporary privacy curtain and Robert is your parents' sibling. :)

ozscott
16-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Dometic (wAeco6) do 2 now also that look very nice. You only get 1 yr warranty and they are a pressure build up and release flush which is asking for problems in my view. Thetford is 3 years at least on the 3 series which is piston pump. Like Charleville I don't like bellows either. Mine is up between the v births. I use it. For a slash down leg side if I am out in the bay and not too close to offend others I go over the side but no 2'is privacy screen and sitting on the portable.

It's great for the kids and missus both for boat and camping.

Charleville the seals are a bit sensitive ti degrading with the wrong chemical - I take it the Nomads have got that covered and it's not a problem with San equivalent?

Cheers

charleville
16-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Charleville the seals are a bit sensitive ti degrading with the wrong chemical - I take it the Nomads have got that covered and it's not a problem with San equivalent?

Thanks for that info, Ozscott. I did not know that.

Mine gets very little use so I am not really an expert to the extent of knowing what happens with extensive usage but what I wrote is based on my research of the caravanning and camping online forums and my own observations when I was looking to buy one.

In my reading of comments and advice on those websites, I saw no mention of the degrading of the seals. Potentially, it could be a bit of FUD salesmanship (fear, uncertainty and doubt) by the major manufacturers to say that, but I would not know.

I use the el cheapo stuff but actually don't need to since mine is just for emergency use and gets very little use so the cost penalty of using the manufacturer's brand would be negligible per year.

Yup - these things are very inoffensive, non smelly things to have on a boat and they do allow a lot more flexibility in relation to the length of time that you can spend out on the boat.

ozscott
16-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Cheers mate. You might be right. I have heard it from a number of sources about the chemical. The bloke at Tentworld seemed straight up when he told me to be careful putting the blue stuff in the holding tank that I didnt get it (ie in concentrated form) on the bottom seal as it could eat it.

When on the Fiamma (made in Italy) I used to sing Italian (esq) songs - my kids think Im mad (which isnt a bad place to be) and now with the Thetford I will have to sit on it and put on my best Goldmember accent and say things like "I am from Holland, itsnt that crazy" because the Thetford is made in the Netherlands.

Cheers

timddo
16-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Once it's contained it's good. It's while someone is doing it on board that will stink the whole boat out and there is no where to run.

charleville
16-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Once it's contained it's good. It's while someone is doing it on board that will stink the whole boat out and there is no where to run.

OK then. Just take a bucket and see how much better off you will be. ;D;D;D

Jarrah Jack
16-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Good to see Charlie has researched the more primitive elements of boating so thoroughly.

I had one in my yacht many moons ago, but no one was allowed to use it under pain of having to empty it. One mate fell overboard with his pants down and couldn't swim either, so the harsh rule also provided some good entertainment.;D

albey
16-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Have had a Thetford for something like 25 years and can still walk into a camping shop and buy parts off the rack,thats a big thing for me course I hate having to throw something away because I can no longer get the part.From that info I guess you can estimate my age-definately not from the throw away society.
Thoroughly agree with Charlevilles sentiments

ozscott
16-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Good to hear Albey - both my brothers have Thetford and both have had them a while - in one case about 20 years.

Yep - Tentworld for eg has the seals on the shelf.

Cheers

odes20
16-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Good to see Charlie has researched the more primitive elements of boating so thoroughly.

I had one in my yacht many moons ago, but no one was allowed to use it under pain of having to empty it. One mate fell overboard with his pants down and couldn't swim either, so the harsh rule also provided some good entertainment.;D

Ah! The funniest thing That should have been video clip on youtube!

Crunchy
18-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Bringing this thread back again as need to buy one of these damn things for upcoming camping trip for the missus & kids. What is the latest on brands / models that fellow campers would recommend? Pricing seems to range from $60 on e-bay up to $350 in stores for pretty flash looking jobby (Excuse the pun). Other options such as thunder box, hole in the ground etc are not going to be acceptable, apprently.

Chimo
18-03-2015, 05:21 PM
It possible to easily overcapitalize on these things being as we are talking BOAT

An alternative for your consideration as utilized by our cousins OS

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/boating-outdoor-photos/509506d1426509946-post-best-picture-your-lady-your-boat-toilet.jpg

PixieAU
18-03-2015, 05:59 PM
That looks AWESOME!

grinner2
19-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Just take a spare 20 lt bucket with lid ..........who ever has a dump in it is responsible for taking it home & dealing with it !
Could use a smaller 5lt bucket , but the 20 lt model makes things a little for comfy ( you dont end up having your knees around your ears .
Only problem is if some one else needs number 2s on same trip , not great crapping in a bucket when there is one allready in the bucket .

Crunchy
19-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeh I just dont trust my 7 y.o. with plastic bags of poo, and I don't want to deal with it myself so off to take advantage of the specials on atm to buy the Thetford Excellence, may as well crap in style!