PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow beach comp

kitty_cat
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
a quick report on the rainbow beach fishing comp.

The weather was hit and miss this year not close to the original outlook of a mostly fine week, the fising was the same hit and miss mainly miss for the boats fishing wide but some good resalts for the boats chasing snapper closer in , as usual all our fishing was wide and really didnt get the amount of scales we would of hoped for, but we did manage some fish on the leader board . pete (indy ) as the deckie this yr for the comp earned his keep catching some nice fish inc a snodger reef jack 7kg and a 10kg red his first over that hit 10kg mark.

we managed a few prizes this yr inc 6 daily prizes and 2 overalls

red r/up daily
pearlie 1st daily
parott r/up daily
sweetie 1st daily
red 1st daily
sweetie r/up daily

Red R/up over all 12.440 Jason Tidd
Sweetie 1st overall 5.125 wayne Thomsen

this comp is one of the best comps we fish in and is really well run and orginised for the kids familys and hard core fishos we take advantag of this by fishing as much as possible and as wide as possible during the week then bringing the wifes and kids up for the weekend and they look forward to it every yr as well

wayne

Long Shot
01-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Congrats guys, some nice fish. What wins in the fight contest, 7kg jack or equivalent sized red?

indy
01-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey wayne thanks again for the trip, ill put up a couple of photos as well, i will most probably be fishing the comp next year in my boat as both deckies are keen as. Like you said very well organised it was a real credit to them, did you get the boat home in one piece?

Ultimate my 7kg jack went harder than the 10 kg red i caught, it thought all the way to the surface and was stoked when i realized what it was as it was my first reef jack.

cheers pete...

jtpython
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Top effort some nice piccies and pressie's
JT

dayoo
01-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Ultimate my 7kg jack went harder than the 10 kg red i caught, it thought all the way to the surface and was stoked when i realized what it was as it was my first reef jack.

cheers pete...

My mate Frank (aka the fishing machine) caught a 8.5kg reef jack off Fraser two years ago and he said that it fought all the way to the surface and pulled harder than a 12.5kg red Emperor caught on the same trip.

Cheers
Barry

murf
01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
well done Wayne and Pete, love that Jack

how many boats enter the comp?

cheers Murf

TREVELLY
01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Some great looking red fish there guys and hey Peter you got the jack big time.

Thanks for the report.

So when the wife and kids visit for the weekend what happens then? Just wondering what makes it work for wife and kids?

kitty_cat
02-08-2011, 07:07 AM
thanks guys
trailer was towed home on 3 wheels due to bending a axle not good but made it home doing 70-80klms hr all the way (5hrs)
trev we take the kids and wifes fishing usually in the boat but way to windy this yr so beach fishing also spent 1 day at the sandblow running up and down the dunes watching the boats out the front , then the event has jumping castles facepanting ect free for the kids ,this event is well worth a look for all fishing types. maybe some beach /river guys will put something up as well

wayne

feral cat
02-08-2011, 09:17 AM
nice work wayne can never have to many eskys. we found it a bit quiet on the fish not bighting side of things.scratched up a nice feed just the same.took out a daily 1st for sweetlip.we did a double overnighter on shelf.couple of mates who fished 2km from bar cleaned up this year,and im still hearing about it.the pearly was very beatable this year,come thursday we couldnt get out wide for them.all in all if anything we certainly killed a few brain cells on sat night.cheers and see you all again next year.

MEGA'bite
02-08-2011, 04:49 PM
thanks for the report wayne, bit of bad luck about the trailer. will have to get this radar dome over to you soon.

nathan dumschat
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Gday Wayne,
WE found the fishing very patchy with fish biting at 9.30 in morning for 20 minutes or so then they would stop. Very frustrating. I got very impatent and drove from mark to mark to mark to mark to mark 400 ltrs of fuel laterand kicking myself found it was the same everywhere, bloody north westerlies suck. Im so glad we got a four stroke ,the old days would have been scary. We caught the winning snapper at 7.950kg gut and gilled. Shame you have to clean everything as this fish had like a kilo of row in her so would have been around 9.5 kg. All the snapper we caught were rowed up so we felt a bit guilty.
Everyone involved in putting this comp together need a big pat on the back . It has improved out of site with awsome daily prizes etc. It is great to see a comp that encourages the whole family as this one does. A lot easier than Fraser comp . A big thankyou to the sponsors as events like this dont happen by themselves. how did the Garmin stand go? . The new touch screen plotters are awesome. Dont know how they will go long term with fishy hands etc. Good to see Crossy do it again. Our biggest red was only 8 kg but thats what happens when you spend all night and driving instead of sitting tight and fishing proven country . Still kicking myself haha. How did the jack eat as ive caught those big ones and they are lie rubber good trophy fish though . You should boil the head and keep the jaws . They have a serious set of choppers. My young fella collects them they are a good talking point.

Good report as always.
Nathan

Vitamin Sea
02-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Great stuff Wayne and Pete, cracker fish

Cheers

Bill

kitty_cat
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
thought the jack comment was worth a follow up as we also found it to be just eatable rubbery and very hard to cook , i have got one around 3 kg a few years ago that was sensational so was really surprised when cooked this one on the bbq maybe a stew style dish is the way to go but will take pic and release them from now on .
not sure about dislike on my first post maybe someone i know taking the piss lol

Reefmaster
03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the report Wayne and congrats on the results mate. Top effort for yourself and the crew.

Yep the big jacks end up like a leather boot similar to spangleds.

Chat soon
Greg

outwide1
03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Good report mate,even though i was getting all your texts all week rubbing the salt in
the wound of what i was missing out on.lol
Not missing out next year mate.
Cheers MICK