PDA

View Full Version : Snapper & hussar(????) turning up in numbers on the rock

Captain Incredible
30-07-2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/smf/Themes/flagrant_alt/images/post/clip.gif

SNAPPER & HUSSAR(????) TURNING UP IN NUMBERS ON THE ROCK (http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=10310.msg79180#msg79180)

I fished five days this week with mixed results. Snapper are showing up in good numbers with plenty of solid fish in the 40- 75 cm range. Good Pearlies & large Trag have also come off the Rock. I also had the experience of pulling 25 Hussar off Deep Tempest on Wednesday. I guess if you fish for long enough you will still be surprised at what the oceans turn up.

Trag really fired up on Tuesday with Skipper Neil bagging out on Trag for the clents. "Here today & gone tomorrow" as they disappeared from Wide Caloundra as quickly as they had turned up.

Its been real "Bosse's weather" with the last few weekends being pretty rotten weatherwise.

Cheers,

Keith

TREVELLY
30-07-2011, 08:28 PM
A few nice table fish there for the punters Keith - well done and thanks for the report.

No one getting dragged out of the boat by a cranky pelalgic ?? :)

PinHead
31-07-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/smf/Themes/flagrant_alt/images/post/clip.gif

SNAPPER & HUSSAR(????) TURNING UP IN NUMBERS ON THE ROCK (http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=10310.msg79180#msg79180)

I fished five days this week with mixed results. Snapper are showing up in good numbers with plenty of solid fish in the 40- 75 cm range. Good Pearlies & large Trag have also come off the Rock. I also had the experience of pulling 25 Hussar off Deep Tempest on Wednesday. I guess if you fish for long enough you will still be surprised at what the oceans turn up.

Trag really fired up on Tuesday with Skipper Neil bagging out on Trag for the clents. "Here today & gone tomorrow" as they disappeared from Wide Caloundra as quickly as they had turned up.

Its been real "Bosse's weather" with the last few weekends being pretty rotten weatherwise.

Cheers,

Keith

did the skipper fish for them ??

Captain Incredible
31-07-2011, 08:01 PM
did the skipper fish for them ??

Gidday Pinhead,

Neil went to a ledge in 85 metres which usually hold Pearlies & some Trag this time of year. Up til now the Trag have been a no-show in any numbers or quality. We have been picking up the odd couple of Trag here & there in Winter 2011 whereas last year they were a "target species" & were holding in these spots for months. We lightly grazed on them often and they hung on without moving much at all just using simple paternosters with bait & plastics. We also get as many floaters as we can out at this time of the year as Snapper will be over the same ledges but higher up in the water column.

This year has really seen the fishing yo-yo with one day producing a heap of tropicals such as Moses, Tuskies & Hussar while the next day they will have disappeared and only Pearlies have remained. On one day in particular two lads fishing side by side both caught double headers- one was a Pearly & a Hussar while the bloke next to him landed a good Snapper & a Tusky on the other hook. Frustrating as usually we have a pretty fair idea of what lives where & we can farm our patch by taking a few from a range of species. We don't have that luxury at the moment as the Fishery is all over place like a dog's breakfast.

In answer to your question, Skipper Neil "fished" for Pearlies, Trag & Squire & was pleasantly surprised when the Trag came on thick & fast. He was not trying just for Trag at the time.

We have "targetted" Trag the past couple of months but to date had caught bugger all as they just did not show up in numbers. And now they have showed up for a day & then gone off again to who knows where. Now we have had one good day on them, we will go back to checking out their previous haunts on a regular basis and start fishing for them again in a more targetted manner.

Cheers,

Keith