PDA

View Full Version : Drive on latch system

Greg P
29-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Have looked at a few options regarding a trailer latch for driving the boat onto the trailer. The one I wanted won't fit on my Sealink trailer due to the winch post design.

Yesterday I was in Sydney and managed to sneak a few hours at the boat show and came across a system on a Bar Crusher that I am sure I have seen before but can't remember the manufacturer. Has anyone seen this system before ? It looks straight forward to make but maybe it is cheap enough not to bother.

Boat show was ok, couple of good talks from pakula, mcglashan and steve starlings Mrs on NT Barra. Also liked the new Sailfish cats in the small range, they along with the new 1700 Noosacat will go well against KC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_S
29-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Greg
Here is the link http://www.###############.au/
I thought about making one , and instead of useing coated wire rope make it solid and spring loaded .

John Buoy
29-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah greg a Victorian co in Hastings called Recover Ezy
Most simple idea and cheapest of all the catches !!

Google Recover Ezy as it wont let place the link here
regards frank ;)

DAVE_S
29-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Greg
Check your pm

Greg P
29-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Cheers guys. Any idea how much pesos?

John Buoy
29-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Cheers guys. Any idea how much pesos?
2yr ago were selling for just under $100

Reg frank

ozscott
07-08-2011, 08:17 AM
I was PM'd by Wanye Lancaster but cannot reply because his PM box is full - I will post the reply here Wayne and hope you see it:

Mate I have a drive on trailer with a 4wd winch also. I use a modified (in length) remote control cable. I have also welded a lug to the mud guard arms (which are themselves 5mm angle iron) and use a steel ring and 15mm rope attached. I drive on as far as is comfortable (usually say about 1-2 feet from the post roller) and drop the rope down the side while the boats sits with a little amount of throttle to hold on the trailer. The ring goes around the lug and I then tie the rope off to the starboard side rear bollard. Kill the motor and the rope rated at over a tonn easily holds the boat. I then walk to the front of the boat (walk around sides - or go through the cabin) and get down by stepping to the Land Rover and attach the secondary safety chain - it has about 2 feet of play from the front roller, so as long as the bow cleat is within 2 feet of the bow roller I can attach it - just a quick heavy duty spring clip (it and the rope together are overkill really). I then drive up to the bays and either hit the brakes causing the boat to slide up against the roller, or generally i will winch the last 1-2 feet with the electric and then attach the primary chain also which is tight. If I am not driving on I will use the remote length to go back and hold the boat against the wind and just winch her on. I am getting used to driving on though now and its relatively pain free, but in high current and blowing wind with people waiting to use the ramp I reckon the high speed winch is quicker in the long run. I think the boat catch systems are fine, but I liked my idea and it cost less than $30 including rope, stainless ring, extra long chain etc.

Let me know how you go - nice boat BTW.

Cheers

John Buoy
07-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I was PM'd by Wanye Lancaster but cannot reply because his PM box is full - I will post the reply here Wayne and hope you see it:

Mate I have a drive on trailer with a 4wd winch also. I use a modified (in length) remote control cable. I have also welded a lug to the mud guard arms (which are themselves 5mm angle iron) and use a steel ring and 15mm rope attached. I drive on as far as is comfortable (usually say about 1-2 feet from the post roller) and drop the rope down the side while the boats sits with a little amount of throttle to hold on the trailer. The ring goes around the lug and I then tie the rope off to the starboard side rear bollard. Kill the motor and the rope rated at over a tonn easily holds the boat. I then walk to the front of the boat (walk around sides - or go through the cabin) and get down by stepping to the Land Rover and attach the secondary safety chain - it has about 2 feet of play from the front roller, so as long as the bow cleat is within 2 feet of the bow roller I can attach it - just a quick heavy duty spring clip (it and the rope together are overkill really). I then drive up to the bays and either hit the brakes causing the boat to slide up against the roller, or generally i will winch the last 1-2 feet with the electric and then attach the primary chain also which is tight. If I am not driving on I will use the remote length to go back and hold the boat against the wind and just winch her on. I am getting used to driving on though now and its relatively pain free, but in high current and blowing wind with people waiting to use the ramp I reckon the high speed winch is quicker in the long run. I think the boat catch systems are fine, but I liked my idea and it cost less than $30 including rope, stainless ring, extra long chain etc.

Let me know how you go - nice boat BTW.

Cheers
Gees i wonder who thought of the above idea ? ;D
http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?165337-Your-inventions.../page4
Post No 60 mate!!

ozscott
07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Good idea Frank...glad I knocked it off. My tag us made from 12mm square bar and the rope is HD but otherwise a rip off. Cheers