PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Maybe short a deckie for the 1770 M&G

robtarr
28-07-2011, 03:07 PM
bugga....my deckie is looking a bit flaky for the Sept 1770 M&G so need a backup plan....I'm not missing out but can't go it alone.

I'll be towing a CC Outsider 625 up from Bris Thurs 8th Sept returning Sat 17th. Fuel, bait, ice costs etc shared. Accommodation is $100 and food already organised for another $100 in a shared 4 bedroom house with 6 other Ausfishers.

We were only fishing 2 so if my deckie can still make it and it's OK with the others re the accommodation then happy to fish 3 - plenty of room.

Need to be experienced off-shore with own gear. If you're interested or can recommend anyone please send a PM or call on 0447 144000.

cheers Rob

danryan75
28-07-2011, 04:18 PM
would be very keen but cant get the time off work. hope you find someone good mate.

PinHead
28-07-2011, 07:25 PM
why can't you go alone?

robtarr
28-07-2011, 08:55 PM
why can't you go alone?

cost and don't laugh but the bigger issue is an over protective wife......I'm insured to the eyeballs so you'd think she'd be encouraging risk taking but after 26 years she must think I'm still good for something

Dignity
28-07-2011, 08:56 PM
bugger - the M&G 's always coincide with other commitments, would be there in a flash other wise, although can't complain too much just spent 2 weeks at Fraser and I think the missus would put her foot down.

Also have a read of the Modern Fishing article for May 2011 by Andrew Wilson called Against all Odds, would cure most die hards of fishing alone offshore. Would scan it but the background would make it hard to read.

Lucky_Phill
29-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Rob,

There are a few members going to 1770 that are looking to be crew.

I will email them and see what we can come up with.

Cheers Phill

CEO Organising Committee... Ausfish Annual Agnes Water 1770 M & G :) :P :)

Noelm
29-07-2011, 09:49 AM
PM and email sent.

Dignity
31-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Pinhead, here is the the main guist of the article,

PinHead
31-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Pinhead, here is the the main guist of the article,

thanks dignity..but accidents can happen with anything we do..I fish alone most of the time..does not matter where you are if you go overboard you can be in trouble..I try and avoid swimming..lol

Lucky_Phill
31-07-2011, 10:59 AM
cost and don't laugh but the bigger issue is an over protective wife......I'm insured to the eyeballs so you'd think she'd be encouraging risk taking but after 26 years she must think I'm still good for something

Nothing to laugh at there Rob.

To allay some fears, a Personal EPIRB, tucked into your self-inflating ( yoke type ) life jacket helps. I know a pro fisher whose wife insisted he give up fishing because of an over-board accident. Wife found out about self-inflating joke type jackets and personal epirbs......... he's still fishing............. :)

I don't mind fishing by myself and have done this in bays , rivers and offshore for many years, but to be honest, I am fully aware of the consequences of lack of attention to ones surrounds. Not trivializing the " rogue wave " event, but IMO, there are no rogue waves / freak waves............ these over size waves happen on a daily basis, you just need to be aware they are out there.

I am sure we'll get you a crew for 1770. Might have to team up with trymyluck, as he is in a similar boat as you for this year.

Cheers LP.