PDA

View Full Version : Whale Sighting

jason p
26-07-2011, 06:55 PM
has anyone had whales up this close to you before? was on a family holiday/fishing/whale trip a while back now and WOW we had three of these giants pushing us around for a couple of hours. was the best whale watch experence ive had and i dont think i will top it either.
after finding a pod of three that didnt have anyone already over them,which isnt real hard at the bay, we sat with them, engine off,for about an hour. they were quite a distance away at first and as the minutes past curiosity got the better of them and over they came. hearts in our mouths or atleast mine with the old adrenaline starting to pump, three huge mammals three times bigger than my boat laid one foot away with five miles of water between us and land:o.
after a short while a whale watch cat came over to hound us, which turned out to be a good thing, as i had forgoten my camera::) and was using a very old phone with poor photos. one of the crew was taking a video of the day out for their guest and i managed to nab my self a copy.
i couldnt work out how to upload the video so i pulled some snapshots off it instead, hence why the photos are not of real good quality.

jp

charlie09
26-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Great pics Jason P. Mate has your sphincter relaxed yet....?:o:o Mine would have been going like a bunnys nose.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers

jason p
26-07-2011, 07:20 PM
lol, mate it was a bit nerve racking, especially when they started to rub against the boat. i also had to hold back the missus from going for a swim with them:uhoh:.

jp

URAGANGI
26-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Fantastic pics from a very special moment. I've had them come close on day break, but you've taken it to a whole new level.
That shot near your vessel as the whale shot out a breath, the sound of that alone humbles you. They are really a majestic creature of the sea. That's what I call a top day out in the Deep Blue.
Cheers,
Gav.

Angla
26-07-2011, 11:01 PM
That is just a pinnacle of whale watching and you would be in a pretty rare club to get the whole package like that. Thanks for sharing and I hope to get the same one day.
Did you make any noise in the boat to get them interested? I have recently installed a cd player with 200 watt speakers and was thinking about a whale song cd. Just hope I don't get the horny female ready for mating one or the Moby Dick angry male whale one. Was also thinking a bit of Queen Live could be an alternative. Maybe they would be interested in a touchy feely rainforest sound track

Cheers
Chris

outwide1
27-07-2011, 06:27 AM
That is simply amazing,we have had that happen once when we took a trip
over the border to fish Brunswick and had a mother ands calf do the same while we collected bait.
Something you and the kids will remember for a long time.
Cheers Mick

jason p
27-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Gav- truly humbling mate ,one of the best family boating experiences to date and one that will never be forgotten.

Chris- loool bloody clasic mate, no noise, perhaps the kids foot steps. i hope you can have a close up like this too cause its a real speacial treat.

mick- its truly an amazing and daunting experiance hey, something that big that could easily sink you sooo close. these creatures sure have a great sence of were they are to the boat.

jp

fisho8
27-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Wow one would have been a treat but 3...lol far out what an experience that would have been. People pay shitloads of money to see something like that I would have been shitting myself that is for sure yet would have been thinking how lucky I was to be seeing such a great sight like that. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Robbo76
27-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Wow, good pics. I would have soiled myself! lol. I freak out when they are 20m away from me. :)

Timfishin4fun
27-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes I have had this happen to me. Great to start with but unnerving when they seem not to want to leave.

Tim

jason p
28-07-2011, 11:51 AM
hey tim i know what you mean mate, at the end i was getting a bit concerned, they were pushing me around like a toy not leaving me alone, think i was more worried about barnacles putting a hole in the glass. not many opportunities to start the motor and get away with three of them are around.

jp