PDA

View Full Version : The Swains report - Norval July 2011 - Pt 1

Apollo
26-07-2011, 09:52 AM
As some of you know, a few of us just did a trip to the Swains on the Norval. I am doing the trip report in two stages. One being the fishing trip side and the other being on the Norval and their operation. Below is the fishing side. Some of the stories are not repeatable, so we will just have to leave them to the ocean. As is me, it is a bit long winded, so ignore if yo want.

Saturday, Brian (BR65 (Rakey)), Shane (Robersl), Mark (trymyluck) and myself meet up at Mark's for the drive up in two cars. We got away in time and stopped in at Gin Gin for a breakie pie. All jobs done, we continued on in the rain to Gladstone to drop the gear off at the boat and meet up with the rest of the boys (RobT, JD, Wardy, Bruce, Mick & Tony). Quick feed at the yachtie and back to the boat to start setting up our gear and wash down a few bevies. Rain had stopped and we were all keen to go. Unfortunately a late minute radio issue delay us leaving the harbour for a few hours, but all ended up ok. Weather forecast had deteriorated considerably and now we were looking to a week of wind and bit of a roll on the way out to the reef. The stabilisers on the boat worked a treat and the trip out went without issue having us arrive at the first reef early morning ready to get into the fishing. On the way, the troll lines went out and it wasn't surprising who nailed the first one – Rakey! Nice yellow tail tuna to open the account.

First day was windy and a bit cool so fishing was off the big boat. Was a tough day at the office with a selection of trout, red throats and misc other reefies before we moved in behind the reef for a a camp for the night. Shane did load into a good fish, but ended up being big chinamen, so back it went. As is the way, out came the silly sticks (light gear) for a bit of fun, whilst others got into lowering the level in the drinks bin. Some of us hit in a school of nice red throats and we had a ball landing these tough fighters (40-50cm range) on light string with plenty of coral around. Caned them with plenty coming aboard, before the bight went off and the squid gear came out. I managed the only one for the night, before retiring to the bunk.

Next morning was an early move to another reef (Mystery) before deploying the dories for some shallow water stuff, whilst the big boat headed out a bit for some trolling and drifts over slightly deeper water. Draw of straws to determine who started off in the dories, saw Rakey and I in one of the dories and Rob, Wardy and the NSW boys in the other two dories. Having never done this sort of fishing before, it was an education and enjoyed the tuition of Rakey. Throwing lightly weighted baits into the face of nasty bommies with locked drags and quick reactions trying to extract red throats and coral trout from their coral homes was a bucket of fun. Unfortunately, the student didn't learn too quick and was outfished fairly badly. I did find his weakness though – sharks! I landed a nice little whaler and to say Rakey was nervous of bring it aboard and dispatching it was an understatement. The rest of the story, I won't tell. Rob & the boys chipped away consistently in the other dories and ended up with a nice esky.

The big boat returned, so the dories headed back. The big boat had done well with Mark nailing a big red emperor (AGAIN) and the boat putting a some good mixed reefies in the bin. Lunch, then back into the dories whilst the big boat headed out again. Mark head out with Rakey and Bruce jumped into the other dory with me. We trolled up to the southern end of the reef to bommie bash whilst Mark/Rakey headed north. We ended up with a nice esky of RTEs (including a big one on the troll??) and tuskies as well and a good trev to change it up. Mark and Rakey had a good session (as expected) and ended with a very good bin. The boys on the big boat did very well with a good haul of spanish macs and mixed reefies. As is the Rakey way, he steps back onto the big boat and picks up his plastics rod, flicks it out and lands a nice shallow water coral trout, before putting the rod away to get a beer. That night it was some more mixed bait fish caught and a handful of squid.

The next day, the big boat was heading off for a long session of drifting and trolling, so only four of us opted for a big session in the dories. Rakey /Mark in one and myself/Bruce in another. Mark/Rakey headed off for some shallow water drifting whilst Bruce and I went for long troll around the top of the reef before shallow water drifting. Nothing on the troll, so we bashed a few bommies in very nasty country and got bitch slapped so many times by things we could stop. Saw some bait getting harassed in the shallows, so on went the popper. First cast and a big spanish mac jumps at my popper but missed. Next cast and it got hammered. Big fish, shallow coral bottom = bust off. Tried again but no more. Headed on with drifts in mind as the wind was increasing. Bit quiet initially and then just as Bruce hauls in his first nice tusky, Mark/Rakey motors up and asked whether we had any room in the esky as theirs was full – bastards! Feeling just a little inadequate, we set about filling the esky to be less embarrassed. RTE's tuskies and trout started coming along at a regular rate to put a bit more respect into our session. I did hook a decent shark that gave me all sort of hell on the lighter gear before eventually returning my line. Mark/Rakey had a great session and Rakey landed a horse green jobbie in shallow water. Big boat returns with another good session of spanish and mixed reefies and plenty of tale of lost fish.

Afternoon session had Mark/Shane in one dory and Wardy & Tony in the another whilst the rest head out for mixed session in the big boat. Boys in the dories did well again and we ended up with a nice mixed of spanish and good reefies. We caught some good size trout this time and Rakey again handed out a whipping on how to including a good size BARRA(cuda). Night session back behind the reef off the big boat was a ball as a school of decent sized spangled emperor moved in. Shane tied on one of Daz's home made plastics and nailed a few beauties, whilst the rest of us chased them with a mix of bait and lures. After the bight settled, more squid were landed to close out the night.

Next day we all headed out on the big boat for a troll and reef drifting. First lure to get smashed was my big rapala. Happy to finally get to test the new rod I made, I got about the task of landing what I initially though was a good spanish. Fight was much harder (and different) than the others I have caught and when colour was shown, the shape was wrong. Nice GT!! Given my previous best was some little tackers out of the Noosa river, this was a tad bigger step up. Eventually got there for a 30kg GT. Needed a little drink to stop the shakes and give the arm a rest. The spanish turned up on mass and we had a triple hook up with all landed and ended up with 11 for the day (five trolled, five on floaters and I got one dragging my bottom bashing gear in quick trying to get it out of the way. Happy with that as it had no wire). Big session on reefies as well with some nice selection of reds, trouts, etc. I got one decent red in the bin and then hooked up to a horse of one. Had the big gear, so was able to get it off the bottom despite several big runs back down. With it a bit better of halfway up, it seem to give up the fight a bit and I got him to the surface only to find out it had been relieved of everything but the head. The head weighted in at 6.4kgs!! so it was most likely a 14kg red emperor. Look at the photo. That is a very big shark to have done that to that size fish in one clean bight. Returned back to reef with a full fish bin and a lot of tired boys. Still hit the night fish session with a few mixed reefies. Early morning off the back of the big boat, still in the lagoon, saw a few more spangled emperors make it to bin (Rakey of course) and the usual early morning bait catching fest, including two fish on one hook, before we all headed out for a troll/drift on the big boat. Got a quadruple hook up on the way out and somehow Mark ended up landing the only two out of the four. Mixed reefies again with some good sized trout, before we moved on to another reef for an anchor and set of floaters off the back. Couple of big bust offs including one straight through 120lb wire! Mixed bag of reefies flicking plastics or soaking baits whilst swinging on the pick. More squid at night before retiring for the evening.

Last day was an early session drifting shallow water which was tough going, before we moved out to the deep for a bouncy session. This was bucket of fun in 75m with a hot bight of cod, jew, reds, nannies, jobbies and bustoffs. Eventually time was called for the very long steam back into a sea back to port.

Boys were tired, but all had a great time. Some pics below and more to come once I get them.

four_button_arnie
26-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Wicked stuff guys!!! Awesome is an understatement

Josh

Benno1
26-07-2011, 12:34 PM
That was frikken awesome!!!...i hope it fires like this for Mr Benno when he heads out next month!!! Thanks for the pics and info Apollo :D
Mystery Reef you say...hmmmm :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

tropicrows
26-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Well worth every cent I would say. Bring on part 2.

Apollo
26-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks Guys. It was a great trip (despite the wind) and great bunch of blokes.

rob tranter
26-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Good on yah Steve, not a bad rap of things.

The boy's down here are starting to save for 2 years time already

Cheers and thanks to all for a BLOODY GREAT WEEK

Rob T8-)

Tangles
26-07-2011, 06:23 PM
top report!!!, you ferrets had some fun and bugger about the big red

NAGG
26-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Great report there Steve - looks like some decent fish caught , you'd have to be happy!

Chris

Apollo
26-07-2011, 07:28 PM
top report!!!, you ferrets had some fun and bugger about the big red

Mike, we had a lot of laughs and some of the things that happens should never be repeated again. Boys were good to be around.

Good on yah Steve, not a bad rap of things.

The boy's down here are starting to save for 2 years time already

Cheers and thanks to all for a BLOODY GREAT WEEK

Rob T8-)

Rob, feel free to add the bits I missed.

Great report there Steve - looks like some decent fish caught , you'd have to be happy!

Chris

Chris, definately happy, but I must admit that the chasing of decent size fish on the light gear in the lagoons was a highlight for me. Locked drags and hang on.

Steve

hundgie
27-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Great report Apollo... and very informative
A quick question, what size jig heads worked best for the shallows and what size for the deeper stuff?

Cheers

Josh

stanley
27-07-2011, 09:22 PM
great report mate I'm going to swains in four weeks . What was the plastics set up you guys used ?

Apollo
28-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Great report Apollo... and very informative
A quick question, what size jig heads worked best for the shallows and what size for the deeper stuff?

Cheers

Josh

Josh

In the shallows, I used a very light jighead on a 7-8/0 hook. I must say that mostly I used bait (cheaper to loose in nasty caountry), but the aim was to have the presentation to just waft down very slowly in front of the bommie. Too heavy and it gets down too quick and you snag up and loose everything.

As there was a fair amount of tide, I didn't do too much in the deeper stuff, but used a 8/0 hook and a 1oz head.

You will have a ball on the Norval. Laurie and Murf will look after you. Ask questions and they will answer.

great report mate I'm going to swains in four weeks . What was the plastics set up you guys used ?

Stanley

Gulps 7" and slick rigs.. We tried slams but only caught a remora.

As far as rigs are concerned, I would change what I took next time.

Basically - don't take anything too fragile (carbon) or expensive as you gear does get a bit knocked around, but next time I will take:
Heavy overhead with 65lb braid for deep bottom bashing and trolling. (Tynos 30 on one of my built rods) If I have two, I would take one for each.
Big spin gear with 50lb mono for shallow bottom work, chucking big poppers and light trolling in dories. (760 slammer on a 20kg powerstick)
Mid spin gear with 30-50lb mono for dory work chucking baits/plastics at bommies and shallow water drifting. (sol 4000 on a short glass rod). This is the most commonly used rig from the dories.
Light/mid baitcaster or spin gear (silly stick) with 15-30lb braid for chucking plastics, squid jibs and unweighted baits around from the big boat when anchored up. (quantum300 on a cheap glass/carbon rod)
Heavy fly gear 10w +

For the mono gear use a tough mono (eg schneider (sp)) and straight through as you will do a lot of re rigging and this saves a lot of time during a hot bight.
Learn to tied strong knots well and quick beforehand.
The most common used sinkers were 00-2 and 8-10 ball as I mostly fished a simple running ball to a bead over a hook rig. I did change to paternosters in the deep stuff (75m) and used snapper sinkers to 20oz.
Hooks were 6-8/0. I used 7766 but others used big guns or VMCs.
As far as trolling lures - deep diving rapalas and halco lazer pros were the go with wire leaders 80-140lb.
Look after your hands - take a couple fo rags to wipe down your hands regularly and wear gloves as the little nicks, spikes, rubs, cuts etc accumulate quickly and become annoying/painful. I used an industrial glove with a rubber front and finger that got thrown away at the end (you will see the black set I had on in the GT photo). Some used a couple of sets during the trip.
Other than that, look after yourself from the sun and the wind (it can get cold). Fish hard, play hard, have fun!

Any other questions, please ask and someone here will answer.

Steve

Bull
29-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys for the fantastic report and photos. Looks and sounds like you all had a brilliant trip.

Cheers Bull

wags on the water
29-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Steve, regarding drifting the shallow reefs, was it a case of drop the baits down and wait (sounder free) or was the sounder setup on each of the 3 dories?

Thanks for your detailed report.

Cheers,
Wags

Apollo
29-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Steve, regarding drifting the shallow reefs, was it a case of drop the baits down and wait (sounder free) or was the sounder setup on each of the 3 dories?

Thanks for your detailed report.

Cheers,
Wags

Wags

I am far from being an authority on this, but these are my observations.

The sounder set up shown in the part 2 report was one I knocked up at home based on some help from Honda900, so it was the only one available to the dories. With the shallow water drifting, we found that we would motor up towards the main reef until we hit 14m of water (10m off the reef) and then drift from there to deeper water where the bight would heat up progressively until it was solid from 20-30m deep and then get too many bust offs and sharkings over 35m. We would then motor into the next drift (or if a ripper, back on the same drift as I had a hand held gps with me).

Mark and Rakey didn't have a sounder with them and did the same thing but worked out the 'hot' depths by trial and error and would just head in for another drift when the bight quieten off. The lack of a sounder didn't hamper them and they outfished us until we worked things out, then we evened out a bit (sort of). I did find the sounder useful and those that used it when I wasn't in a dory commented the same, but it was not critical. Especially for bommie bashing.

The big thing I learnt with either bommie bashing or shallow water drifting is use ridiculously light sinkers (just enough to only just reach the bottom eventually) where possible to avoid plummeting to the bottom and getting snagged up on an unforgiving bottom.

Other thing is very tight drags as the fight is fast n furious and a bucket load of fun.

Hope that helps.
Steve

wags on the water
29-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks Steve. Just the info I was after.

Cheers,
Wags

Brogsy
01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Awesome Swains report, just what i needed to get me in the mood for tying rigs. Should be out working in the yard but gonna start tying rigs for my trip in September.

ronmurphy
03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Steve good report ron

Apollo
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys. Make sur eyou check out the part 2 of the report as well.

B U Z Z I N
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
well done on ya haul .... were thinking of doing a trip out there soon ..do they do shorter trips ,like mayb over weekend etc.
troy

trymyluck
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
well done on ya haul .... were thinking of doing a trip out there soon ..do they do shorter trips ,like mayb over weekend etc.
troy

Troy, 7 days is too short, 12 to 15 hours each way sure eats into those 7 days, You would probably be better off looking at 1770 and the brunker group fishing.

Mark

B U Z Z I N
08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Troy, 7 days is too short, 12 to 15 hours each way sure eats into those 7 days, You would probably be better off looking at 1770 and the brunker group fishing.

Markthanks 4that mark ,it is a long way 2 go 4 the weekend i suppose .. hav u been out there yourself ,if so, which boat did u go on

troy

trymyluck
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Troy
Are you talking Swains or out from 1770?

Swains I was on this trip and done a couple of 1770 trips on the James Cook. Although i heard that it had been sold and was no longer doing charters. Do a search and you will find plenty of info. Probable a few that fish the Brunker group from Gladstone and Hervey Bay as well.

Mark

ronmurphy
20-08-2011, 01:56 PM
hy ausfishermen my code is ron i am the new owner of the norvalwe have about 12 more
trips this season on each trip we take out 1 person for a tucker trip i normaly fill that
spot but some off the upcoming trips this year and next i am throwing them open to ausfishing patrons

the duities are mainley cleaning and galley duities no cooking generaley helping our crew
with day to day duities if there is anyone intersted please reply either to ausfish or our web site

thanks ron

trymyluck
20-08-2011, 03:44 PM
hy ausfishermen my code is ron i am the new owner of the norvalwe have about 12 more
trips this season on each trip we take out 1 person for a tucker trip i normaly fill that
spot but some off the upcoming trips this year and next i am throwing them open to ausfishing patrons

the duities are mainley cleaning and galley duities no cooking generaley helping our crew
with day to day duities if there is anyone intersted please reply either to ausfish or our web site

thanks ron

Hi Ron
Seems like a great offer and one that I would certainly put my hand up for next year, I take it that if someone takes up the offer then they will be able to fish at times and when you its a tucker trip, what do you mean, you just pay for your food? sorry been up since 3.30am so the brain is in go slow mode.

Mark

ronmurphy
22-08-2011, 12:33 PM
mark
tucker trip is a slang for a trip were you swap labour for a free trip we supply you with 2 cartons of beer bait tackle and all food in reply you supply labour
your duites are to help our deckie with the serving of the food and cleaning of the gally and boat a big part is to while you are fishing to have a good degree
of people skills with the passingers and make shore that them and you enjoy the week so aultermately they return and yourself if you desire this roll on the
boatis normaly mine however i am not able to do as many trips because of other work coments the average daily hours worked is 3 you get plenty of good
fishing time the boat takes 2 of your fish for 1 meal the rest you keep average fish taken last year on the norval was 350 so you will get a good feed
at the end of the trip we ask you to post a report on the trip what am realy looking for is constractif critercisium and ideas how to improve our trips
we would like to put this on aus fish i would like you to be totally honest report negertive as well as posertive

tropicrows
22-08-2011, 12:47 PM
With an offer like this, you will have them lined up for years.

STUIE63
22-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Ron I reckon your pm's will be overflowing with that offer it sounds like you can't go wrong
Stuie

robersl
22-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Ron
That is a good trade but you forgot you must be able tp partner Murph at euchre and not mind if you lose lol P/M sent to you the other day mate hope this works out for you
Regards shane

Apollo
22-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Damm Ron, what a offer. Hmm, how many holidays have I got left?

Thanks for you efforts on our trip. It was a great time and top boat.

Steve

BR65
22-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Ron, howdy mate - Brian here.
Gotta agree with the boys, thanks for your efforts on the trip, a cheery smile at breaky helped kick off my day after sleeping the sleep of the innocent !!

Good boat, good crew, recommend the trip.

cheers

brian

ronmurphy
23-08-2011, 10:08 AM
hy steve and shane its all your falt getting me onto ausfish i never thourt i would get out of bed and look at a computer i hope one day i can do it with two hands very time concumeing but i am getting good feed back on the boat which as you know is what i wanted tell your mates about the tucker trips next year
we will be doing 30 plus trips

thanks ron

murf
23-08-2011, 03:58 PM
hy steve and shane its all your falt getting me onto ausfish i never thourt i would get out of bed and look at a computer i hope one day i can do it with two hands very time concumeing but i am getting good feed back on the boat which as you know is what i wanted tell your mates about the tucker trips next year
we will be doing 30 plus trips

thanks ron

Email sent through Ron :)

and thanks for the report Steve

cheers Murf