PDA

View Full Version : The pot calling the kettle black

rabbi
25-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi,
Just read in the local rag that the local Professional fishers are up in arms because of the Evans Classic event supposedly raping the local reefs and leaving very little for them to catch:-[

In some respects this may be true but I would hope they have a little empathy for us amateurs when we hear about whole schools of jew or other fish taken out with Square hooks or fish traps:-X

A mate and I certainly had minimal impact on the oceanic resources the Evans week:P

Theres plenty of Trag and Leatherjackets out there still guys!!

Gazza
25-07-2011, 08:31 PM
"up in Arms" confuses me M8 , is it on TV ??
IF not , not counted ;)

stonecold
26-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Gazza its "country NSW", the local rag still counts as up in arms:P

TheRealAndy
26-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi,
Just read in the local rag that the local Professional fishers are up in arms because of the Evans Classic event supposedly raping the local reefs and leaving very little for them to catch:-[

In some respects this may be true but I would hope they have a little empathy for us amateurs when we hear about whole schools of jew or other fish taken out with Square hooks or fish traps:-X

A mate and I certainly had minimal impact on the oceanic resources the Evans week:P

Theres plenty of Trag and Leatherjackets out there still guys!!

The tides are turning hey. Interesting. I did not think that it was possible for rec fisherman to destroy a fishery?

halfmanhalffish
26-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe these guys need to have a look a little closer to home. I went to a usually productve area the 1st day of the comp. You could have played join the dots with the lines of
trap floats, over a dozen in an area approx 2klms long!!! Fished in between for 1 trag and an undersize snap. I'm not a dreamer, yes the comp puts pressure on the area for a week. We caught some nice fish over the period of the comp. We fished 3 guys for 5 days and kept 28 fish. Less than 2 fish each per day but there was some quality amongst them. We let go heaps of trag, small squire etc which weren't required. If a commercial fisherman can't catch a pay out of evans maybe they need a career change! Either that or learn how not to bomb an area to death with fish traps

murf
26-07-2011, 05:44 PM
halfmanhalffish were the floats for Lobster pots? been heaps of lobster caught here in the last month?

the Trag are in plague proportions atm, I have never seen so many and in shallow water in the middle of the day

cheers Murf

halfmanhalffish
26-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I heard it's been a ripper season for lobbies down your way. Nah mate they were were definately fish traps mate. I did notice from talking to plenty of guys who fish the comp each year that a fair few struggled with even catching a feed during the comp! Must have fished everything out when we were there last year! I've got no problems with commercial fishos but after seeing that and getting the blame for their poor catches it's a little bit hard to swallow!!! It is however an argument that they probably will raise again next year