PDA

View Full Version : Replacing seals in hydraulic steering cyclinder - outboard

Mr__Bean
24-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi guys,

I have Seastar hydraulic steering controlling a Yammy 225 4 stroke.

Over the years it had started to weep oil out of each end of the cylinder, nothing too bad just a bit of mess and it kept me checking the helm unit oil level before any big trips.

Well after the boat has been sitting for over 3 months without use (sad face here), I went out and give it a bit of love today. In doing so I found that a significant amount of oil had leaked out pf the cylinder and I could swing the motor by hand for about half of its steering travel.

So, onto the internet I go searching for a seals kit, $190 plus delivery through BLA (Australia) or $99 US dollars from the United States, so I am now waiting for delivery to my door from the US for $106 Australian dollars. So much for BLA prices.

Now, the point of my post, has anyone else done this? Are there any pitfalls or cautions? I spent a bit of time on hydraulics during my earlier years so am OK to do it, I am just interested in others experiences.

Darren

MyWay
25-07-2011, 12:11 AM
I did
but did not do on the Seastar... (did on Hynautic and trim tabs rams )
Which I believe they all the same working principle ....
And I get my seals from local seals shop and cost me only few dollars ..
hardest part is to make your tool to remove the caps from cylinder
rest is a just 5 min. job

cheers

Spaniard_King
25-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Take the Cylinder off and send/take it to Marine Control Systems in erreton drv labrador, they will replace the seals and pressure test it for arround the $60 mark. The only draw back being if the piston rod is pitted you either throw the whole ram in the bin or take your chances getting the rods re chromed as the pitting will simply chew out the seals again.

Out-Station
25-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Darren, if your half handy its not a big job, i got my first seal kit from the marine shop (US) so i got the tool, if ever i need to do again i'll just source them locally. Hardest part is bleeding the system once you have done the seal change out. Good to have a 2nd person to keep adding fluid at the pump end as you bleed, i have a funnel with a fitting that screws into the oil bung hole that keep a head of oil which works well if you don't have the second person. Make sure you bleed it thoroughly, both locks a couple of times. Use an old cut of milk bottle or something to collect the oil that comes out the bleed ports, messy otherwise.

Scott

Noelm
25-07-2011, 09:23 AM
even though it is a pretty simple job to do, I kind of think Spaniard King is on the money, if you can get it done for anywhere near that sort of money, then go that way, and get a dealer or mobile mechanic to pressure bleed the system, once again, to do it manually at home is easy, but, pressure beeding takes a jiffy and ensures no air 100%

Scott79
09-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Noelm,
How do they "pressure bleed" the system?
Bout to undergo the same thing.

Thanks,
Scott.