PDA

View Full Version : Built in rod lockers.

Dan5
24-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey guys just after a few ideas on rod lockers........I'm having a 5mtr alloy boat built and just wanting to see some ideas that you may have had fitted to your own rig.

Wanting to store up a dozen rods with reels.......mainly baitcaster outfits with the odd spin and larger o/head combo stuck in there aswell.

I will be putting it along the STB side under the gunwhale which will mean it will be approx 600mm high and 2.5mtrs long and roughly 250mm wide.

Must be fully dust/water proof and of course lined inside.

I have a few ideas myself but considering all options atm so if you have some pics chuck em up and we can all check em out.

Cheers Dan

matt fraser
25-07-2011, 05:51 PM
If you could make it wider, I would. You've got good height to work with.

I put one in my bluefin, biggest thing is make the hatch opening as large as possible. My locker is well over 250 wide, but the opening is only 180 wide. Which can make it difficult getting in larger spin reels sometimes. Or if you want to put in a few in a bunch. Lenth of opening is just over 1000, which is good. Put a few rod tubes in to keep guides and lines from hooking up. They love to tangle.

Go and check out some boat yards for ideas, and take a tape measure and notepad. The Yank bass boats have the best rod lockers.

Cheers,

Matt

Dan5
25-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm thinking something along these lines will work.....just need to put some thought into it so i can maximise the room.

Jarrah Jack
25-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Who have you got building it Dan ? My mate in Leanyer is going to build his own from a kit. That rod holder looks a great idea. Out of site out of mind too. I'm learning that its a lot easier to change outfits than tying on different lures all the time. What motor mate?

Dan5
25-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Origin are doing the boat mate......proberbly starting in the next week or so.
Decided on the 140 suzy,i think it's the way to go.......we have 2 dealers up here so that covers a couple of bases.

Doing the console/ casting deck my self,the boats coming with a 200ltr+ fuel tank and plumbed kill/storage compartment under floor.
I need to work out a good workable design on the rod locker......like you said it's much easier to change out fits rather than change lures all the time and when some of my outfits are worth more than a grand each i have to look after my babies...

Dan

matt fraser
25-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Dan,

I would avoid that style of rod locker, as you generally have to remove a seat or some gear in order to open it. I know a bloke who has a Haines 485 SF with the same style of rod locker, and its the only thing he doesn't like about it. If its a 5m boat, I'd be trying to build it into the cast platform, or if your cast platform isn't long enough, have an extension off it in order to get the required length.

If you are going to have it located as per the picture, make it a top opening hatch. That way the top of it becomes a rod shelf and you can normally have four rods laying on it ready to go.

Another idea used by a few US manufacturers is to build the rod locker access hatch in the gunwhale, see pic,

What are you using the boat for? 200l seems like a lot of fuel for a 5m boat,

Cheers,

Matt

Jarrah Jack
25-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow Your going to show those GS's a thing or two. I'll be there for a few weeks next year may have to come and look at it and drool. 140 Zuk...I've dreaming of getting one for my next Haines..

Dan5
26-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Dan,

I would avoid that style of rod locker, as you generally have to remove a seat or some gear in order to open it. I know a bloke who has a Haines 485 SF with the same style of rod locker, and its the only thing he doesn't like about it. If its a 5m boat, I'd be trying to build it into the cast platform, or if your cast platform isn't long enough, have an extension off it in order to get the required length.

If you are going to have it located as per the picture, make it a top opening hatch. That way the top of it becomes a rod shelf and you can normally have four rods laying on it ready to go.

Another idea used by a few US manufacturers is to build the rod locker access hatch in the gunwhale, see pic,

What are you using the boat for? 200l seems like a lot of fuel for a 5m boat,

Cheers,

Matt

The problem with top opening lockers is you lose your ability to have rod holders in the top/ gunnel of them........Keeping them opening inside is okay.....mine will proberbly have bi-fold doors to help eliminate taking up space.........I'll still have a rod rack on the console so i won't be opening it every time i want a rod.

The boat is primaraly a barra boat.........I regulary do long trips down big rivers.......120k one way.........sometimes i venture out further down the coast on a long weekend.........it's not unusual to to a 500k round trip up here hence the fuel tank and bigger hp.

Dan

Jarrah Jack
26-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I think the ideal setup would be to have the hole rack sliding out, a bit like those sliding kitchen pantrys. The rod holder is the thing though. Could still be done though with a bit of inguinity, however you spell it.

Camhawk88
26-07-2011, 09:34 AM
The side opening doors look easier to use and access to me. Perhaps a door that consetinas down or folds within itself would eliminate the problem of moving things to access the hatch. It would probably need to be a soft material such as a vinal or something but it would work well I reckon.

Squidlet
26-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Origin are doing the boat mate......proberbly starting in the next week or so.
Decided on the 140 suzy,i think it's the way to go.......we have 2 dealers up here so that covers a couple of bases.

Doing the console/ casting deck my self,the boats coming with a 200ltr+ fuel tank and plumbed kill/storage compartment under floor.
I need to work out a good workable design on the rod locker......like you said it's much easier to change out fits rather than change lures all the time and when some of my outfits are worth more than a grand each i have to look after my babies...

Dan

What happend to tha 170 or 175 or whatever is Suzi?
Do you think you have enough horse power for the old girl? ;)

Dan5
26-07-2011, 05:25 PM
What happend to tha 170 or 175 or whatever is Suzi?
Do you think you have enough horse power for the old girl? ;)

Don't dare me.........

cormorant
26-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't forget big locks that actually lock. can't trust anyone these days.

Si
17-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Thought I would bump an old thread if ok. It's the same question I want to ask, although my boat is a tiller 4.5 sea jay Territory.

What did you go with in the end Dan?

Are the rod lockers on one side of a tinny that extend flush towards a casting deck take up too much space?

Dan5
17-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Mate I did pretty much what is in the pictures I posted up earlier in the thread......it works well for baitcasters but spin reels swallow up heaps of room......it could have been longer aswell but it does double as a good storage box for other crap like camp mats and sleeping gear......it's 100% water proof which is handy.

Dan