PDA

View Full Version : Tin Can or Sandy Straights

gunna
22-07-2011, 10:08 PM
A mate of mine is contemplating a holiday at either Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay. He will have his 4.5 runabout and will fish either Tin Can or up in the waters around Urangan or River Heads. Just targetting the usual bream/flathead/whiting.

Just wondering your recommendations on either or whether you would suggest elsewhere in that general vicinity.

Cheers

Peter

Sheik
23-07-2011, 01:55 AM
A mate of mine is contemplating a holiday at either Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay. He will have his 4.5 runabout and will fish either Tin Can or up in the waters around Urangan or River Heads. Just targetting the usual bream/flathead/whiting.

Just wondering your recommendations on either or whether you would suggest elsewhere in that general vicinity.

Cheers

Peter
Mate it depends entirely on who he's taking with him and what else if anything he wants to do while he's there. No doubt Hervey Bay has a bigger population 50000 compared to several thousand at rainbow so there are more shops etc.
Fishing wise with the choice of River heads, Urangan and the rest of HBay, Toogoom and Burrum within half an hours drive, and even Maryborough/Marroom, Tuan etc when it comes to that, you are more likely to find sheltered areas from up there if the wind gets up.From Rainbow you have the beaches south, rainbow and teewah, plus you can get up into Poona and Tinnanbar further north by going out on the Gympie road and taking a right (north) towards Maryborough.
No doubt Hervey bay has all the bases covered and far more habitat but Rainbow has the surf beach.
hope that helps a bit
regards jim

gunna
24-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks Sheik. It seems not many on here fish the lower part.

jelifish
24-07-2011, 03:54 PM
My thoughts are similar to Sheik. More options based in Hervey Bay. I mainly fish out of Tin Can and there is plenty of country to explore but the Hervey Bay area is probably easier to fish and has more variety.

SgBFish
25-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Hervey Bay is bit more open. We found at Tin Can even if it blew hard in any direction you could still out and get around to fish crab etc.

4.5M is only a little boat.

Plus you can rent a fully furnished house in Tin Can for $300 a week.