PDA

View Full Version : Worms In Oysters

gunna
22-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Bought a dozen Coffin Bays the other day. Was about to eat one when I noticed it move. Closer inspection shows 3 worms in it. Very thin and only a centimetre long - they stretched out to about 3 centimetres when dropped in the sink. Just like leeches. They were in the first two oysters I checked - didn't bother looking at the rest. Fortunately the shop was happy to refund.

Anyone else seen them ??

Noelm
22-07-2011, 09:26 AM
yeah, very common, you can still eat the oysters, I have seen them with small crabs inside too, I was at a very high class Sydney restaurant one time and a friend ordered the Oysters and when they were served, there was a live worm wriggling around, the waiter just said, "it is normal, and proves they are fresh"

gunna
22-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I read on the Net where similar things have been said - but its not easy after the stomach churn of finding them lol.

mowerman
22-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Well,,If you are going to eat oysters.
Worms should not be a problem.:)

Rod

timddo
22-07-2011, 02:03 PM
You guys are joking right.

If there were worms in my oysters, i wouldn't touch it. I expect fresh and quality. Oysters are washed after they are open,

Eating worms with oysters is kinda similair to eating maggots. ( not that i have tried)

Noelm
22-07-2011, 02:57 PM
nah, not maggots, the worm is not a parasite, it is just a marine worm that lives with the Oyster, or somehow gets in the shell, it is NOT part of the Oyster or in the flesh or anything.

Dignity
22-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Added protein, shops should charge more for them