PDA

View Full Version : quiet flush on old mercury 115hp possible?

Si
22-07-2011, 08:24 AM
hey just wondering if its possible in some way or another to quiet flush my old 115hp mercury tower of power by either retro-fitting something or using an existing method that i have missed? sometimes i come home late and have close neighbours and a quiet flush would be good.

cheers

Dan5
22-07-2011, 08:34 AM
What about using a cut down 200ltr drum as a flushing tank?........or just wait until the morning to flush her out?........Leaving saltwater in there for an extra few hours won't hurt it.

Dan

BM
22-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Just flush it the following morning.

The silent flush attachments are wank. It's not properly flushing the engine at all.

Si
22-07-2011, 09:36 AM
ok thanks. i presumed its not an ideal flush. this was mostly borne out of the fact that i quite often fish sunday afternoons and come home in the evening and wouldnt have time to do it the next day as i have early and generally late work commitments which would mean i would have to wait for a week to flush it. Cheers.

Noelm
22-07-2011, 09:53 AM
you can buy a "cork" that fits in the prop exhaust, (not really a cork) it is a round tapered sort of thing that stops the exhaust noise by about 70% they work OK, most boat shops should be able to get one for you.

oldboot
22-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Flush in a tub, it shuts the engine up no end and provides a far better water supply than mufs ever can.

Ya probaly wont get a 115 into a 44 easily.

I don't know if they still have em, but I baught a big black plastic tub from bunnings, about 600 wade, 900 long and 600 deep.
Its deep enough to get the cav plate under water, wide enough to get my foils into and the length allows me to tilt up when finished.

So I back the boat up to where i want, chock and disconnect from the tow, to do the flush, push the tub right up to the stern, tilt down, then adjust the jocky wheel till the skeg is just off the bottom and fill er up, till the cav plate is covered..and away you go.

You will find this quieter than any other method, and because the exhaust is submersed you can give it a little rev in neutral with no worries.
Because the rear of the tub is a long way from the prop, you can put the engine in gear at idle for a couple of turns to clean out that rear seal..ya might slosh a bit of water about though.

You will need some sort of method to stop the tel tale from pissing every where.
On the BIL's 30 merc, we simple use a bulldog clip and a rag cliped to the housing, and the water dribbles back into the tank, on my 60 everrude, I have a piece of hose that slips over the teltale.

when you finish, jocky down, tilt up and drag the rig forward.

I drain the tank with a bilge pump onto the garden, but if the lay of you land is favorable the water can be pissphoned out.

With a tank you will find the whole thing a lot quieter and calmer affair........I don't have the close neibours like some isn suburbia, But with my 60 idling in the tank, I can barely hear it in the house.

Even during the day the noise from muffs and the constsnt pissing of water everywhere tends to keep flusing short..with a tank there is no problem letting the thing spa:bath: its self clean for 20 minutes half an hour.:thumbsup:

I know a couple of blokes who have gone across to tub flushing, Ya just have to make sure the tub is big enough and strong enough and it does not need to be deep.

I have heard some funny stories though.
The young BIL tried to flush his 30 in a plastic garbage bin..all was going well till it simply split from the water preasure.:thumbsdown:

I builder mate tried to flush his 115 johno in a wheely bin..all was going well till he put it in gear and chopped a hole thu the front of the bin.:oops:
Go the tub.
cheers

Relaxedcamper
22-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Have a look around at the boat ramp that you launch from. There will often be a tap 'somewhere' that you can connect a length of hose to and flush the motor at the ramp.

Noelm
22-07-2011, 10:09 AM
flushing at the ramp is always a big hit with the people who live there, that's for sure.

cormorant
22-07-2011, 10:45 AM
The chain stores were selling them. There was a couple of diferent sizes

Very good and stop the crackle. A few different brands over the years Will idle smoothly as it has backpressure.

http://steadfastmarine.com.au/2008/11/22/outboard-motor-silences/

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=55114&search123=silencer&intAbsolutePage=1

Water comes out around the prop and exhaust gas out the idle port.

Wish more people new they existed as it is one sure fire way to meet the neighbours and find out who works nightshift Throw a big red flag on it so you can't forget and leave it in and lose it on the road.

Rag in the prop hub and a bungie cord works as well but is messy.

Noelm
22-07-2011, 10:48 AM
yep, that's them, there is a dozen brands around, my mate had one for his old Yamaha and it worked a treat, of course you could always just stick your foot over the exhaust while you flush, that also works a bit.

Si
22-07-2011, 11:03 AM
thats great info and links. top work ausfishers. thanks guys.

Dignity
24-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Have a look around at the boat ramp that you launch from. There will often be a tap 'somewhere' that you can connect a length of hose to and flush the motor at the ramp.
Most taps on the ramps on the Sunshine Coast have been changed so that a hose can't be put on them and also had the pressure severly reduced. Agree with Noelm about the people who live there but in most cases the ramps were there first, a bit like buying land near an airport then wanting the airport shut down because of noise.

Dignity
24-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Oldboot - the tubs are about $60 - $70 if it is the one I am thinking of, at the Caloundra store they have them on display before you enter the store. Will go up and have a look later in the week and might buy one myself.

Gon Fishun
24-07-2011, 08:36 PM
G'day matey. I have a 1000 litre plastic tank with a metal frame around it which are fairly common. I have cut the top off and on the long side cut a U shape in to get the leg of the out board in. It can be a bit tricky if you motor doesn't lift high enough but I have an Evinrude 115 V4 with hydrofoils fitted and it is a breeze to fit in the tub and run. I use about 1 litre of cheap home brand low suds type dish washing liquid in it which helps break down the oil etc.
Cheers
Bob.

oldboot
24-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Oldboot - the tubs are about $60 - $70 if it is the one I am thinking of, at the Caloundra store they have them on display before you enter the store. Will go up and have a look later in the week and might buy one myself.

Yep thats about the money....remember you can use it to wash the dog or chuck an ice slurry in it for those extra big captures too.

cheers

cheers

finga
25-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Why bother?
Those motors sound real nice and the rest of the neighbourhood need to apreciate the sound of an inline 6 cylinder 2 stroke Merc. :)
I sit listening to mine thinking...wouldn't that be nice in a motorcycle.

But a heavy rag or hessian sack over the prop helps a fair bit in the noise department.

Dignity
25-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Oldboot, checked them out last night and the tubs were 220 litre - $60 and the 160 litre at $50