PDA

View Full Version : Flybridge clears, what did ya pay?

Midnight
20-07-2011, 10:25 PM
G'day,
I'm shopping around for new flybridge clears for my 33. 3 sides, clears only.

Has anyone got new clears in recent time? What material, Vybak, Strataglass Etc and what did you pay?

Thanks in advance,
Myles

tenzing
21-07-2011, 06:08 AM
New vybak clears for the victory about a year ago.
Part of a bigger job with cover and new roof, but think the clears were around the grand mark. They were sailtracked to screen with fancy overlapping zipouts to reduce ingress.
Thrilled with the job. Brendan Watt at Southside marine trimmung Yatala. Was worth the drive.
Cheers
Brendan

mal555
21-07-2011, 11:12 AM
It's very much a case of what your personal standards are and how much clarity you expect and for how long.

Strataglass is the best, and if you intend long term ownership and prepared to spend a few bob, as well as having something decent to sell at the end, could be worth a thought.

Scott Goodbun at Goodline trimming, Brisbane is highly regarded amongst big boat operators and will travel around the country to measure and fit the product. He is about to do a job for us, I've seen his work, impressive!

business class
21-07-2011, 02:16 PM
another vote for brendan at southside marine trimming. Has done my own boat a a few mates now and ya wont beat him. Unreal work and he is a fisho also so he knows his stuff.

Midnight
21-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks fellas,
Has anyone had a flybridge done in Strataglass recently? Bertram 35 size or equivalent.
I am after an idea of price.

Cheers,
Myles

mal555
21-07-2011, 03:50 PM
To give you an idea in strataglass;

Two side lengths, 3.9 metres x approx. 1 metre high

Front, 4.4 metres long x 1.35 metres high

= $10K

Yours may be somewhere around half the area?

Give Scott (Goodline Trimming) a call on 0411 859 707 with measurements, or Cameron at Craft Coverings, Gold Coast 0413 749 348, both have been recommended by high level pro skippers.

PB
21-07-2011, 04:45 PM
10 grand its must be good stuff.

Midnight
21-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks very much Southern Boater,
I will give them a call. I am in the Broken Bay area NSW these days, but I will see what they say.

Thanks again mate,
Cheers,
Myles

Grand_Marlin
21-07-2011, 06:11 PM
G'day Myles,

8 ~ 10 grand is where most flybridge boats come in.

Cheers

Pete

captain rednut
21-07-2011, 06:42 PM
a mate of mine just put strataglass on his 51 riviera flybridge only, it cost $14,000 big bucks and looks great.

Midnight
21-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks Pete and Jim

OPTI
21-07-2011, 07:38 PM
definately go strata glass ,ive had vibac on my last boat and went strata glass on the new boat and its so much thicker and clearer,you must use the cleaner and polish on it for best results

Midnight
21-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks Opti,
I have been reading a bit about the cleaner/polish required to be used on the Stratglass. Only problem I see with that is ( other than having to pay for the stuff) the side clears are not easy to clean on the outside. Very difficult without a good chance of ending up in the drink! The front is easy.

I am thinking maybe Strataglass for the front and Vybac for the sides. That way the sides can just get the normal hose off and chamois mop treatment.
Waddaya reckon?

Cheers,
Myles

OPTI
21-07-2011, 08:28 PM
you can still just hose off strata glass,its the cleaner and polish just helps maintain it,id use it on vibac as well.its good stuff

Midnight
21-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok thanks mate

Grand_Marlin
22-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I have been reading a bit about the cleaner/polish required to be used on the Stratglass. Only problem I see with that is ( other than having to pay for the stuff) the side clears are not easy to clean on the outside. Very difficult without a good chance of ending up in the drink!
Myles

Easy fix ... get Dave (Blackened) to clean them ... doesn't matter if he ends up in the drink ;D

mal555
22-07-2011, 09:16 AM
10 grand its must be good stuff.

That's on a 70' flybridge.

I recently saw a five year old installation (1/2 the time kept in the tropics), admittedly the boat is always kept in pristine condition, but when the front zip-out section at the helm was open, casting your eyes across from plastic to open section, there appeared little difference, amazing stuff.
It's too thick to roll, it's unzipped and bent up 90 degrees to a clip.

OPTI
22-07-2011, 06:41 PM
i can roll up my clears ,the thickness doesnt seem to cause any problems with that,infact proably easier to roll than vibac being a little stiffer,if that makes sense,either way you go propper care is the key to long lasting clears

mal555
23-07-2011, 07:33 AM
The boat that I was referring to had vertical sections of at least 1200mm, and the clear has had the same lack of flexibility since it was new (the owner explained originally it was to be lifted and clipped), maybe it is just an option, I can't say.

Looking at it from another way, if you unzip and swing the flap of clear up, providing you have plenty of headroom, beam (if lifting from the side) and a hardtop to secure the press stud to, the clear section won't get those annoying finger-nail and zip scratches rolled clears seem to accumulate.

Blackened
23-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Easy fix ... get Dave (Blackened) to clean them ... doesn't matter if he ends up in the drink ;D
Hasn't happened yet... but very close!

Blackened
23-07-2011, 02:54 PM
G'day

A number of boats i've done in the past have had strataglass, it is thick and it is amazing stuff, see if you can jump on a few boats with it.

Dave

Midnight
23-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks Dave,
I first saw it on Viking 2 around 4 years ago and was very impressed. It was the first time I had seen clears that were properly clear! I have been hiding behind real glass until now, so I think I will need the Strataglass to be happy after shelling out the cash.

Cheers,
Myles