PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite form of fishing?

Jarrah Jack
20-07-2011, 05:57 PM
There are so many different types of fishing now. Once there wasn't a lot of choice but these days with highly specialized gear we can focus on what we like most.

I once thought that game fishing out of my own boat off the shelf was the most best. There was nothing as exciting as chasing those big and powerful ocean wanderers.

Then I went barra fishing in the big rivers and that was it for me. Casting lures all day everyday with barra on the bite is the favorite by a long way now. Bait fishing for snapper and whiting is ok but I wouldn't ever call it exciting.

Trolling for trout in pristine mountain lakes isn't bad either.

marto78
20-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Bottom bashing for me especially when there is some XOS fish willing to put up a bit of a fight and really test out the gear.

BLOOEY
20-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I like it all pretty much the same from Trolling up Big spannos to poppering for whiting. It chages from one form to another depending on season but at the moment it is probably beach fishing. Ben

marty+jojo
20-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Snapper fishing with plastics and light gear, nothing like it when a big snapp smashes ya plastic and strips a heap of 6 pound line off a 2000 size spin reel and the 2-4kg E.Grell is buckled over.
Marty.

Horse
20-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Probably with a long rod and Alvey fishing the suds looking for that elusive big Jew. There is something very basic and in touch with my primeval core. I still get a huge thrill out of almost any sort of fishing whether it be putting together a feed of Diver Whiting and Squid in the Bay or chasing Ooglies in 400m offshore. To me its all about the thrill of the hunt and experiencing beautiful environments

NAGG
20-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Lurecasting the snags - jacks , barra , bream , bass etc ........ just love the hit & then the wrestle.

This would be followed by fishing topwater for big impoundment barra ....... getting hit at the boat at night with your senses wired is just sensational - scares the crap out of you

Chris

fisho8
20-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Both inshore and offshore for me I have done alot of inshore and esturay fishing growing up as a kid used to do alot of fishing with the old boy up at Tincan bay pumistone passage chasing bream and whiting and Mangrove jack when he had his boats. I was doing the same when I got my 1st boat I had spent a fair while fishing the passage,maroochy river and through the pine river right up to the redcliffe bridge when I had my 385 quinny. I also liked the rock fishing off the points around Kings Beach on the Sunny Coast. I liked the rock Fishing as I found it a challenge. I have never had a boat big enough to tackle the offshore side of things hence the reason now I am lucky enough to be in the position to have aboat big enough to tackle the offshore reefs as this is I guess the next phase in my Fishing adventures I have been offshore a few times but not in my own boat I cannot wait to get out there and give it a good go myself and hopefully bag a few big ones. I just like fishing all round really. I haven't tried the barra and truot side of things yet but that is definatly on the list of things to do.

TimD
20-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Offshore chucking big plastics around, and trolling X-raps and hexajets in summer :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

wamjam
20-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Great idea for a thread young Terry...I realy love temping a fish from its hide or shelter with an articial bait..I don't care about the species (fresh or salt)...I also enjoy putting them back..But those jacks do, sometimes end up in my esky..

I like all types of fishing. Especially with good company...

Scott

tunaticer
20-07-2011, 09:19 PM
My favorite form of fishing is not one particular species or technique, but rather reading the water and subsurface environments and working out where, when and how fish will be caught. I take this part of fishing with me every single time i go out and apply it relentlessly before I place a lure in the water and after the session has ended. Regardless of the location, the water will provide the clues to where when and how to get the best from the area, learning the skill to read it is where it is at for me. Not so much catching the fish, that is the byproduct of learning the skills.

HeadBanger
20-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I do a fair few different types of fishing, bait, plastics, hardbodies, surf, estuaries, whatever, wherever I can.

However, for all the money I spend on lures, reasonably good quality gear and everything else, there's one type of fishing that stands out for me.

Catching 10 or so mullet, throwing them out as liveys and sitting on a riverbank around a fire with a few mates tops it off for me. Good fishing, good mates, good times. Could get a flatty, bullshark, jack, trev, whatever. And if you don't catch anything, who cares? You can just go down the next night and try again;D

Cheers,
Kaidon

sleepygreg
21-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Hmmm, lets see. I was brought up fishing the estuaries along the NSW coast (between coffs harbour and Narooma). Chasing Luderick with the long rod and green weed as bait, flicking unweighted yabbies along the flats for xos whiting, using luderick gut and mullet gut for xos bream during the winter at night, chucking and trolling HB's and SP's for flathead in the big river systems (and im talking 30 years ago as a starting point), 8144 rods and 10kg tortue chasing Black Drummer off the rocks (lightlining lol), walking the rock walls of the Manning, Camden Haven, Hastings with livies after big jew on the night tides, Jigging for Kingies at the Peak, Cubing and live baiting for Y/Fin ay various places along the coast.

On the freshwater side....havent really got into the barra scene. But have spent a lot of time waving the long wand at trout in the highland streams of the snowies, Yarra valley, upper Nepean. Chasing Yellas in the impoundments in Central and Northern areas, Goodoo at burrinjuck and the Murray. Redfin and Silvers in the victorian impoundments. Browns and Rainbows in Eucumbene, Jindabyne, Lake George, Great Lake, Lake Pedder.

Of late (due to location).....reefies off Moreton, Marlin and Sails same area.............

Can't actually say which one is a favourite......I love every one of em.

Which one do I mostly do these days......flicking lures around the shoreline, getting out for the odd shot at beakies, and the occassional reefie session.

miss be have
21-07-2011, 02:39 AM
catching big tailor and jew off the beach of a night for me

TimiBoy
21-07-2011, 05:27 AM
For me? It's not so much the fishing, it's the location and especially it's the company. It's not usually the fish I remember, but the laughs.

But to hang around in the cockpit, waiting for a reel to scream while trolling the shelf, waiting for Mumsy to bring me a coffee, while we scan for signs. That's my dream!

Cheers,

tim

krazyfisher
21-07-2011, 06:00 AM
site casting lures to Mac's tuna or GT

Da-Jew-Man
21-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Beach if there is a good gutter.
Rockwall with good water and dirty water.
However as age creeps on probably move to gentleman fishing for blackfish.

bennykenny
21-07-2011, 07:02 AM
For me it has to be flicking plastics for Flathead in the spring, something about those big ladies that get me going, also in winter i love those Brisbane river Jew, live baiting a big banana prawn, you don't get much better.
I moved here from south coast NSW 7 years ago and the fishing i miss from down there, is the Groper and Drummer fishing, now that is blood pumping rock fishing action.

finga
21-07-2011, 07:05 AM
For me it's just the act of been on water relaxing whilst drowning a prawn or shrimp.
For me it's not the high tech form of fishing that gives me pleasure but the simplest form of fishing. A stinky bait waiting for something to have a nibble and then trying to coax that nibble into a fish in the creel.
Also catching fish where people say...no fish there ya w@nker gives me a sense of satisfaction.
It doesn't matter to me if I'm in the boat or sitting on a rock wall or a creek bank or hanging on the side of a bridge. Just the act of having a line in the water is all I need.
I don't even care much if I don't get a fish or even a bite.

But just at the moment I'm getting great pleasure from teaching my nephew and niece the finer points of feeling bites and using an Alvey.
They're 4 and 5.
They're really good at catching grinners and they're moments I'll never forget.

Oh. For me pleasure from fishing is also gained by making gear whether it be a rod or sinkers or lures or hexheads or what-ever that doesn't necessarily need to be used by me to get fish.
A prime example is Lucky Phill borrowed one of my funny looking rods. He caught fish on it. I was just as stoked as he was....and I wasn't even there.
It gives a sense of pleasure or pride or what-ever you'd like to call it when something you've made gets fish in the creel.

charleville
21-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I have always loved all sorts of fishing but most of all, I love fishing from a boat, on my own, well away from anyone else, and at night under a new moon, and at sea, rather than in fresh water. It is the isolation and the peaceful ambience of the surroundings that captivates me.

Then, when that big one grabs the line and runs with it and the ensuing fight reminds me of how unfit I am and how my elbows get sore during a long fight with a big fish, I suddenly remember why I came out that night.

I just love fishing Moreton Bay at night.

I have never done any trout fishing but the TV programs are very good at selling the romance of wandering along a fast flowing small stream casting hither and thither and seeing a big fish take the line. That could be good also.

Have only ever been on a deep water charter once. Felt too crowded in that environment. Much prefer to potter around exploring on my own.

Coodgee
21-07-2011, 11:18 AM
ok, lots of high-brow talk about the serenity and the companionship and the oneness with nature... I'm going to go a bit simpler than that - I like any type of fishing where I am catching lots of big fish!!

GM-Bluewater
21-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Any form as long as im not in my stinking office!! I love chasing big reds offshore as much as going for a walk along the beach with a pocket full of worms and a whiting rod. Also like bouncing some blades around the estuaries for flathead.

Noelm
21-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I guess in a way I have been very lucky, I have seen the best of the south coast jigging for mega Kings, snapper fishing and Game fishing plus a whole host of other fishing as well, but even though I sometimes take it serious and give it my best shot, there is nothing like keeping it as simple as possible, as someone mentioned, a light rod, a few worms in a bag and some tackle in your pocket, and a nice summers morning, when you are done, a quick squirt with a hose and the whole lot is finished in about 2 mins, the same goes for some easy bream fishing off the rocks, sure as hell beats a full day at the shelf, a couple of hundred in fuel, a few grands worth of gear to look after, 2 hours to clean the boat and gear at days end, and a pile o stuf to put away.

wayno60
21-07-2011, 05:32 PM
As long as i have some monofilament in any H20 im happy

Stik-ugly
21-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Throwing poppers and probably any other type of lure

theoldlegend
22-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Beach if there is a good gutter.
Rockwall with good water and dirty water.
However as age creeps on probably move to gentleman fishing for blackfish.

Geez mate, you should go to Iluka and fish for 'em at the old ferry crossing up the river a bit!!

There's nothing gentlemanly there! It's serious stuff. They're all old farts, about Pinhead's age, maybe a bit less.

They each have their own chairs on their own piece of real estate, about a metre or two apart, and NO TALKING! Keeper nets are in the water directly in front of each landholder.

A bloke will land one, the guys either side of him studiously ignore the action going on, concentrating on their float tips with NO TALKING!

If you're not a member of the IOFLFF, you've got no chance of buying into the action, and will be quickly banished to a spot downriver about 30 metres away.

Rumour has it that there have been physical disputes over the real estate rights, but I've never seen any. What do they say about real estate? Position, position, position.

You think the Masons are secretive? Mate, if you make enquiries about the IOFLFF without being invited first, you disappear.

TOL

finga
22-07-2011, 06:58 AM
OK....what the bloody hell is a IOFLFF???

theoldlegend
22-07-2011, 07:16 AM
OK....what the bloody hell is a IOFLFF???

I knew that would annoy you.

You hate it when people do that, don't you. I know you do because you've said it before.

If you must know, it's:

Iluka Old Farts Luderic Fishing Fraternity

PinHead
22-07-2011, 07:42 AM
[/COLOR][/B]

Geez mate, you should go to Iluka and fish for 'em at the old ferry crossing up the river a bit!!

There's nothing gentlemanly there! It's serious stuff. They're all old farts, about Pinhead's age, maybe a bit less.

They each have their own chairs on their own piece of real estate, about a metre or two apart, and NO TALKING! Keeper nets are in the water directly in front of each landholder.

A bloke will land one, the guys either side of him studiously ignore the action going on, concentrating on their float tips with NO TALKING!

If you're not a member of the IOFLFF, you've got no chance of buying into the action, and will be quickly banished to a spot downriver about 30 metres away.

Rumour has it that there have been physical disputes over the real estate rights, but I've never seen any. What do they say about real estate? Position, position, position.

You think the Masons are secretive? Mate, if you make enquiries about the IOFLFF without being invited first, you disappear.

TOL

and that is from the bloke with about 10 years on me...that sounds like a top place for a bit of fun..roll up woth a couple ofother blokes..make a racket..cast in amongst them..that really could be a hoot.

Noelm
22-07-2011, 08:32 AM
maybe turn up with a kilo Snapper lead and some prawns and cast right on top of their floats!, have an esky full of grog and a stereo blasting as loud as it will go, make sure to toss some rubbish on the ground too.

theoldlegend
22-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Actually Greg and Noel, we did have a bit of fun there one day.

We did a couple of drifts in the river past them with OS sinkers on and reeling in as fast as we could and casting again and again.

Didn't seem to draw much of a response though.

I should add that Freeeedom who fishes Iluka on a regula basis for luderick is not a member of the IOFLFF. He fishes the ocean side at the Bluff and does very well there too.

TOL

miss be have
22-07-2011, 09:27 AM
what you do to fix IOFLFF is to anchor up in your boat just out from they if you start getting fish they get pissed off and go home

Jarrah Jack
22-07-2011, 09:45 AM
John, Scott, Greg and Noel.........You boys should know better than do go messing with my thread.

This is about a serious subject then, all of a sudden, we have woffle about some old farts somewhere. Then we have discussion about terrorist tactics disrupting some old farts sitting on a bank going about their favorite fishing technique.

The biggest naughtyist boys are you Greg and John as you haven't even explained your favorite fishing styles, if you have any.

Which one of you has 32 rods :o and was upset to miss out on two more last week. Come on fess up and explain what you do with them apart from annoying the Mrs.

finga
22-07-2011, 10:13 AM
John, Scott, Greg and Noel.........You boys should know better than do go messing with my thread.
Oi...leave me out of this.
All I asked for was a clarification...nothing more.
If any of the above happened where and when I was enjoying a peaceful morning fishing I reckon I'd go off quicker then a bride's nighty with more force then Cyclone Tracy.

As for TOL's fishing style...well I have been fishing with him and another member called Chopper.
What a day. The two of them were going to let me get eaten by some sharks following the boat whilst I was out pushing us across some shallow rocky crap.
I think John caught a shark that day. Actually there's a picture of it about somewhere come to think of it.
We're supposed to go fishing off a jetty somewhere so I better organise a date so John can psych himself up and have time to make a decision on what rod/reel/tackle box/what colour undies etc etc to take.
I suppose when it all boils down TOL could be classed as a thoughtful fisherman.
He thinks about everything there's to think about a fishing trip.
Me. I'm the opposite. I'll grab the rod with the reel attached (which ever one seems to be rigged up with the least rustiest hook is my preference), grab the Alvey tackle box and Eno bottle full of sinkers and be off grabbing some fresh prawns from somewhere on the way.
A lot of the time I won't even worry about taking something to put the fish in. I just make room in the smoko esky.

wamjam
22-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Actually Greg and Noel, we did have a bit of fun there one day.

We did a couple of drifts in the river past them with OS sinkers on and reeling in as fast as we could and casting again and again.

Didn't seem to draw much of a response though.

I should add that Freeeedom who fishes Iluka on a regula basis for luderick is not a member of the IOFLFF. He fishes the ocean side at the Bluff and does very well there too.

TOL

TOL's going to have a hit out on him by the IOFLFF....You can run but you won't be able to hide...Those distictive coloured crocs will give you away everytime...

Noelm
22-07-2011, 03:10 PM
OK, back in my box I go, sorry!

wamjam
22-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Jarrah Jack..Looks like your thead has been sabotaged, just like the poor old IOFLFF...

Jarrah Jack
22-07-2011, 10:14 PM
OK, back in my box I go, sorry!

Don't worry Noel it was just stirring mate.

Jarrah Jack..Looks like your thead has been sabotaged, just like the poor old IOFLFF...

Thats life on the forum Wambo. You started on the gutters yet?

wamjam
22-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Don't worry Noel it was just stirring mate.

Thats life on the forum Wambo. You started on the gutters yet?

You mean the eaves ?? He baled out when I wanted to choose the colours..

Shame..

STUIE63
23-07-2011, 07:32 AM
deep water and big baits for me . I reckon there is nothing better than a double header of nannies or reds

MudRiverDan
23-07-2011, 08:13 AM
yes even though I have a couple of flash spin rods and lures for plastics and HBs these days.

I still love bait fishing, livies in the river or worms, pillies, mullet off the beaches.