View Full Version : 1770 Fishathon

JustOneMore
18-07-2011, 07:13 PM
House Hired - check.
8 quality fishing blokes - check.
3 boats - check.
Bait and Tackle - check.
Enough Rum to supply an army - check.

Off to 1770 we went, for a week long fishing trip.

High hopes, predictions of good weather and our sights set on quality red fish. Yep those elusive Reds everyone talks about but few have actually seen in the flesh - that's what we were after. Years of trying and research, many 53 & 54cm fish boated and released, we felt this trip was going to be our time - it had to be!!

We managed to fish 6 days straight and I've forgotten more than I can remember. It felt like we'd fished on world deadliest catch for the week!!! We fished from north of lamont to east of lady musgrave. Worked every water depth and time of day.

We managed to boat our first legal red on the first night, then on the second last morning we returned to the same area for our second and third Red. Yeh we'd finally cracked the 'RED' code....man to say i was happy is a gross understatement! Danced and shouted for a minute or two, then had a filthy grin on my face for the rest of the trip!

Great fishing all week, and man I love 1770. Already planning the next trip. And now we have a couple of confirmed Red marks to work from.

Captain Seaweed
18-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Nice report fellas, nice fish!!!! I love it up there bloody nice. Congrats on the Red I am still to break my legal red virginity. Are the underwater pics at Fitzroy?

Marty

No Fear
18-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Awesome report mate.
How big are those pearlies??? We often get a few stonker pearlies when we are up there which is worth the trip, let alone catching a few reds...
I bet that chinaman pulled like a freight train!! 1770 is the best, probably just need to keep it hush hush otherwise the be green zoning the whole place!!!!
There are a couple of places up there where the smart 70cm+ snapper hide as well.
Congrats on the first red, once you catch one, the "itch" is contagious!!!!Well done!

oddbudman
18-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Awesome trip :)

Bull
19-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Fantastic. The smiles say it all. Well done and thanks for the report and great photos.

Cheers bull

outwide1
19-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Thats the sort of post i hate reading while at work,it makes you want to start planning a trip and gets the bloody rushing.
I have only been up there once and cant wait to go again,top report and awsome fish guys.Thanks for sharing.
I liked the fact that you could get out of the wind at night in comparison to fishing double island.
Welldone,mick.

Silent
19-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I hate you... ;D

BeastMaster
19-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Looks like you had a good time and some good fish to boot - Thats a chunk of a chinaman, bet you thought it was a good red.
Well done
Beastmaster

XtremeBoony
19-07-2011, 05:07 PM
excellent report boys. Nothin like a week long blokes fishing adventure :D Firstly that chinamen is a stonker and I bet the arms are still aching ;D Secondly once you get a taste for those reds the "itch" will drive you mad :o Thirdly a great assortment of reefies and especially those pearlies as they look fairly big from the pics. What else yep great underwater shots and I am thinking about taking the plunge soon and getting a bit of snorkelling gear and speargun. Just my constant fear of sharks keeps me dry in the boat ;D Definately one of the best places to fish offshore with not only the fishing but the relaxed atmosphere of 1770/agnes waters. Don't forget that the agnes meet and greet is coming up in september. I'm holding out for that as well and we are under 2 months to go :o Anyway great reds and great trip.

cheers from boony

jtpython
19-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Awesome effort guys
JT
Boony spearing and sharks just dive with a buddy and be able to swim faster then him LOL

Long Shot
20-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Great stuff. Loved the pics, particularly the underwater ones. What camera were you guys using?

jarhead
20-07-2011, 08:39 PM
The pics say it all, we head up there in a few weeks.

Wal

Clint06
21-07-2011, 07:38 AM
thanks for organising the accommodation Damo. It was an awesome trip and cant wait for next time!

Silent
21-07-2011, 09:44 AM
thats monster trout...:o

You guys must be over moon...

JustOneMore
21-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Captain Seeweed, the underwater pic's where at Musgrave. Much the same as fitzroy. We were there to get out of the wind one day. Love to get in the water and check it out to give you another perspective.

Clunt, It was the easiest part of the trip. That trout was HUGE!!!! Can't wait for next time, don't think I can wait 12 months tho....

Ultimate, we used a panasonic lumix for pictures. Only thing i don't like about it is the lens doesn't close, and if you forget to clean it before taking pic's they can be blurred.

oddbudman
21-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Just a few more pics. Nice red bass this one by Zilli. Got to love the blue sky days in winter.

vertico
21-07-2011, 05:12 PM
awesome trout guys well done!

JustOneMore
21-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks Vertico, It was actually your advice that helped us to keep searching.

Also you would be proud to know that our 3 reds and the huge trout were all caught on the PE Tackle flies. I was not a believer, but now a true convert!!!!

Thanks!

vertico
21-07-2011, 06:46 PM
that makes it even more awesome mate! Iam so happy to hear they are working for you.
thanks again

Sean

Dougi
21-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Well done guys.Definately remember that trip for a long time.Some good fish there
Dougi

Ben123
21-07-2011, 09:14 PM
how long is that trout? bluespot trout are 80 max.....

Dame00
22-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Love your work the report and pics are what i wait for!The trout is a cracker.PE tackle certainly works for me up there.