PDA

View Full Version : What long sleeve fishing shirt?

murf
18-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Okay I am doing the shirts for the Agnes Water M&G again this year and I am going to do a long sleeved fishing shirt

never having owned one and the more I look into these style of shirts the more confused I get :-[

who wears them and whats your opinion on what material and style/brand to get?

the materials available are

100% cotton
poly/cotton 65/35%
poly
nylon
poly/nylon

what are the pro's and con's of each one? sweaty? hot? drys easy, sun block? buttons catch on everything? whatever you can think of

and I personally don't want to spend $100 on a fishing shirt :P so a value for money is what I am after

I guess I will be looking at a bone sort of colour?

all opinions welcome good and bad :)

thanks for your input folks

cheers Murf

Dan5
18-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Go 100% cotton then if you have a clean/dry spot left atleast you can still wipe your sunnys.

I've had that many different ones it aint funny........best by a long shot is Tarponware but they are not avaliable any more......next best ones are Simms......Colombia are ok but fall apart in the sun after a while.........The Shimano cottons are ok for the price.

i like cotton as it soaks up sweat the poly feels hotter t ware IMO.

Dan

Feral
18-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Personally I dont like the new ones with all the fancy colours and no pockets!
Kokoda are the best value for money fishing shirt around, usually not to hard to get for $35 each, but quiet a few blokes like "brand name" shirts around $60 to 70. What's your target market likely to want? If you do want the new fangled ones with lots of colour and no pockets, get on to Robbie at Sun To Sea, based on the sunshine coast with an Australian made product, he sponsors my stocking group and is a good bloke ;) As good a product as you will get for your money.

wayno60
18-07-2011, 05:40 PM
mate whats wrong with a good ol flanno....

murf
18-07-2011, 05:45 PM

haha I am hearing you there :) and there is always the tail of the flanno when you really need to go ;)

mmmm a flanno with sponsors embroidery all over it, will be a first, what clan colour/pattern you recon?

cheers Murf

TREVELLY
18-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I wear the Columbia PFG - from BCF about $70-80 not cheap. No logos.

Advantages are sun block, keep the wind out but breaths, can get soaked and dries quickly easily whilst still wearing and still keeps the wind out. Very comfortable on a hot still day or a cool, wet and windy day. Very light weight and loose.

As I said not cheap - but the best outdoors shirt I have ever had.

Away from fishing and about the house I live in the flannel and tracky dacks - YEP YEP

mowerman
18-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Flano on the weekends. Gotta dress up.

During the week it's long sleeve fluro green with dark blue.
Also with a liberal coating of dust, grass clippings and whipper snipper splattered dog turd.
I usually fish alone.:)

Rod

four_button_arnie
18-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Yer I have a few kakoda ones great for the money
I love the go-so shirts but they are a bit dearer

murf
18-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Feral thanks mate but it has been repeadely suggested to have a shirt with pockets in them by the smokers so they have somewhere to put their glasses and mobile phone :-?;D

cheers Murf

NAGG
18-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Murf ...... Honestly for a fishing shirt you cannot do better than those fancy coloured tournament shirts:o Seriously!
Not just any one though ....... Its the ones made by Goodridge under the G Sports label. 8-) - ( sunline & luckycraft tournament shirts ...... but there would be others)

I've owned quite a lot of fishing shirts ...... but these particularly in warmer climates crap over columbia , barraware , kokoda , shimano etc as they breathe , dry quickly & have a high UPF rating . ..... they keep their colour too. Also midgee proof unlike shirts with mesh backs / armpits (columbia):) Also the most comfortable (soft)!
Cost around $80 ...... about the same as a columbia shirt .

Next best would be the Go So ....... but they are far behind the G Sports IMO
You might look like a billboard - but thats the price you pay for a fantastic fishing shirt!

Chris

PS - wash and wear too - never need to iron them unlike a lot of those cotton shirts which look crappy unless Ironed

Jarrah Jack
18-07-2011, 09:53 PM
PS - wash and wear too - never need to iron them unlike a lot of those cotton shirts which look crappy unless Ironed

I've never worn an ironed shirt in my life.............Now I've got the complex.

NAGG
18-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I've never worn an ironed shirt in my life.............Now I've got the complex.

Cant look like a hobo ....... !

Is that right ...... never?

murf
18-07-2011, 10:11 PM

haha the last shirt I ironed was back in 1988, I remember it well as I threw it in the bin the next day and went shopping for something that doesn't need ironing

cheers Murf

Jarrah Jack
18-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Cant look like a hobo ....... !

Is that right ...... never?

Honest .... never

Nobody has ever told me I look like a hobo either....yet. I prefer to look like an aged surfer now. If I could wear shorts and T shirt forever I'd be more than happy.

Only got told off once, for wearing thongs in my first year teaching.

murf
18-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Yer I have a few kakoda ones great for the money
I love the go-so shirts but they are a bit dearer

is that a Goso shirt you are wearing in your avatar Josh?

cheers Murf

Cheech
19-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I still wear my long sleve ausfish fishing shirt. Good in summer and winter. Maybe contact Steve and find out were he gets them made.

four_button_arnie
19-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Yer Murf that's the one. They do a few different colours. They have little flap thingy's that cover the top of your hands to stop sun burn. Also a little piece of material that goes around your thumb (I cut mine off though)

wayno60
19-07-2011, 09:52 AM
(They have little flap thingy's that cover the top of your hands to stop sun burn).tuffin up lads.....if ya hands are getting sunburn your not catchin enough fish...

four_button_arnie
19-07-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.sunprotection.com.au/pages/menswear.html looks like they have two different types, with discounts available for larger orders

Josh

PinHead
19-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I still wear my long sleve ausfish fishing shirt. Good in summer and winter. Maybe contact Steve and find out were he gets them made.

ditto..I have 2 of them..they are great

murf
19-07-2011, 05:41 PM

I couldn't find a link to the shirts on here :( are they not made anymore?

cheers Murf

OverNover
19-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Hey Murf,

We get a shirt every year from the Flattie Classic, last year we got great cotton shirts from "ruff n tuff", have to say they're bloody awesome, cool in summer but thick enough that in winter they keep the chill off ya, think they're locally made too. I also bought a pair of long pants off em at the comp last year, they are great, lightweight, quick drying, I wear em in the boat and on the yak and find them very comfy, also like the Columbia shirts but a bit exy, Cheers, Jamie.

Nathan Tuskes
19-07-2011, 07:32 PM
sun to sea shirts would have to be up the list, i wear these 5 days a week for work as a chippy and they are holding up great after 3 years, very comfortable, no annoying pockets, flaps to catch on stuff, and they breath and dry quickly, which means no chaff, you just have to watch when using a grinder ;)

the gecko
26-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Detour are the best shirts out. $30 at BCF, they have velcro cuffs, so no buttons to snag the line when you cast. Double pockets for smokers, vented backs, fast drying, and very breathable. I used to wear Columbia, but these Detours are better. Very comfortable in high humidity up the mangroves in summer.

Go for ploy/cotton as they breathe better. Cotton will hold 3 times its own weight in water, so it gets heavy and doesnt dry fast. I made the mistake of buying 100% cotton , thinking it will breathe. Then my sleeves got soaked to the shoulder from throwing a cast net. Only the cuffs were touching the wet net, but it acted like a sponge. Never again.

cheers
ANdrew

murf
26-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone for you input and I have learnt heaps on fishing shirts :)

I ended up going with the Kokoda Raptor in bone colour for the M&G being able to embroider easy and being the poly/cotton with multi pockets, also at a reasonable price

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/Raptor-Shirt-Blue450.jpg

was very interested in the Go-So shirts personally and would have never looked at them other than from comments ;) here

cheers Murf

Muddy2
26-07-2011, 06:16 PM
If you are 4xl bigger you dont have bugger all choice

murf
26-07-2011, 06:28 PM
If you are 4xl bigger you dont have bugger all choice

yeah its strange why in this days growing society that the shirts are getting smaller?? the ones I used to get for the Agnes M&G have cut out the bigger sizes. maybe they recon the ones that are 6'6" tall and have broad shoulders don't fish?

still having the bigger Polo shirts as well for the M&G ;)

cheers Murf

tunaticer
26-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Yakka workwear do some bloody good shirts for reasonable coinage.
http://www.hardyakka.com.au/products/generation_y/shirts/generation_y_cotton_twill_shirt_long_sleeve

I have been wearing one on the weekends for two years now and its still good condition. Ventilated too.