PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Quintrex Bayhunter Caprice Price???

Tony_P
16-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanting people's thought's on a boat I am looking at for my father at the moment. It is a 2000 Quintrex Bayhunter Caprice and is advertised with the following details.

Boat in as new condition. New (18mth old) Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke (done 60 hrs). Quintrex maxitransom, flared millenium hull, ladder, fish finder, radio, dual batteries, isolator, 2 x underfloor 50 l fuel tanks, all safety gear (epirb inc.) , bimini, travel cover, dunbier braked registered trailer, spare wheel, bearing buddies, always garaged and maintained.

The seller is asking $18,500 and is only willing to negotiate down to $18,000. Do you think they are asking a bit to much for this as I thought a price of around $15,000 - $16,000 would be more realistic.

Any thoughts would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers Tony

hino310
16-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Comparing it to the others on boatpoint and the fact you say it is "as new" and having been repowered with the f60 i would say 18 grand is a good deal. Hane you priced a new one to compare?

Cheers Hino310

Prowl n Wolf
16-07-2011, 04:39 PM
g'day tony, sounds pretty good to me. out of curiosity, what fish finder comes with it? regrds, tony.

Tony_P
16-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi Tony, the fishfinder that comes with it is a Older Lowrance x-48. There is no gps unit, so if we upgraded to a sounder/gps combo that would set us back approx another $1500

Steeler
16-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Me thinks if there was one around your expectations dollars wise you would have snapped it up so maybe the sellers negotiated price is on the money.

Tony_P
16-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Thank guys, It sounds like what he is asking is a reasonable amount. I will pass the information on to my father so he can consider his options.

charleville
16-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Because it is in as new condition, that might be an OK buy, I think, but at $18K, I suspect that it might be at the top end of the range, based on its original purchase price.

Just to put some dimension on what it might have cost to buy when new, I have one that is 9 1/2 years old with a 60 HP 4 stroke Merc on the back. I think that the only extra that I have had from new that is not mentioned in your description is hydraulic steering and I went up a level from the standard fish finder All up, mine cost a few dollars short of $25K when I paid cash for it at about Dec 2001. Maybe, I had added an electric trailer winch and a ladder (which I never use) in that price as well but nonetheless you can see the order of $ when new.

Because mine is very well used, I would not expect to get that sort of $ for mine if I was ever silly enough to want to sell it. The boat is a beauty for general bay work. A 60 HP 4 stroke motor goes very well in the boat and it is very economical to run.

I researched what sort of boat to buy for several months before settling on the Bayhunter Caprice and I have never been disappointed with the outcome. For an older bloke, the walk-through windscreen is very handy.

The only question in my mind is why they have found the need to re-power it 18 months ago.

Other than that though, they are a beaut boat with the 60 HP 4 stroke.

Prowl n Wolf
16-07-2011, 06:18 PM
hey tony, i reckon sometimes you find something on a gut feeling & that its what your after. saving 1-2k on price is not a great deal on a boat. if it suits your dad go for it. kindest regards, tony.

Tony_P
16-07-2011, 06:19 PM
The reason for the upgrade that I was given. was because the boat had been moored by the previous owner and he neglected to regularly flush the motor out. The current owner on the boat had problems with the outboard after he purchased it and decided to upgrade it as a result.

winston
16-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Tony, 18 grand is way too much. A realistic figure would be closer to $15000. The trailer and boat are 10 years old! This is a buyers market.

superdag
16-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey Tony,
I have a 2002 Bayhunter Millennium (not caprice) with a 60hp 4stroke I am fairly sure the hull is exactly the same only the appointments are different. I purchased the boat about 12 months ago for similar money, at the time my comparison found that was the going rate for that boat.
I can tell you I am extremely happy with the rig for general estuary and bay work, also easy to handle on my own.
Price is high end but if the quality is there it may be worth it.
Good luck with the purchase.
Cheers,
Rob.

charleville
16-07-2011, 07:02 PM
The reason for the upgrade that I was given. was because the boat had been moored by the previous owner and he neglected to regularly flush the motor out. The current owner on the boat had problems with the outboard after he purchased it and decided to upgrade it as a result.

If the boat had been moored a lot, it cannot be claimed to have always been garaged as your first post said.

If it has spent a lot of time outside, in all weathers, then the floor is likely a bit springy and due for replacement. My boat spends its life outside and I have replaced the floor once in its 9 1/2 years. Replacing a floor is a straightforward job if your Dad is ok with tools, but it is a job that might be due, all the same.

I would be less worried about the boat itself than I would be about the trailer.

robothefisho
17-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I can guarantee if it was moored for any length of time, it's not in as new condition. I think your initial figure of around 15 is more on the money. However it does have a much newer motor so that has to be considered and may be worth the extra coin. But for 18 grand everything would want to be in excellent condition.