PDA

View Full Version : Pod or no Pod

mossy43
16-07-2011, 01:00 PM
As some of you know I have a Seafarer V-Sea that I have been referbishing. All I have to do know is to replace the transom which happens this week some time. I have just bought a near new Yamaha 80hp 4 Stroke for the back of it which has an extra long shaft. Now should I just get the new transom and build it up to a 25inch shaft or build the transom up and put a pod on as well. I have not seen a V-Sea with a pod so I am a bit concerned as to how it will travel. Thanks in advance.

Mossy

mal555
16-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Not a decision to take lightly, any chance of talking to a knowledgeable person from the factory. Sometimes you will find a factory representative (from the appropriate era) only too willing to discuss any issues quite candidly regarding their "out of current production line" models.
I've found Caribbean, Whittley and Haines Signature to be very helpful in the past, a lot more than I would have initially thought.

Vitamin Sea
17-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Mate

If it was me I would build up the transom, I would not pod a VC, you would probably end up wrecking the boat.

Regards

FisHard
17-07-2011, 08:15 AM
I had one of the genuine series 3 V-Seas that came from Seafarer with a pod. What an awesome little boat' I wish I never sold it!!! It had a 75hp 2 st Mariner and top speed was 32kts 2 up with gear. I sold it about 17 years ago, so my memory is not 100pc, but I know we fished offshore (Deep Tempest etc) at every possible chance, and it punched well above its weight. Mine even had a raised floor and self drainging deck. This probably made it a bit tender, but useful for hosing out the deck. I'm not sure how yours would be with the substantial extra weight of the 4 stroke. Mine did porpoise a bit when it was glassy. I can tell you though, when it was rough, that little thing was great (for its size of course) I later owned the current shape 5m V-Sea hull and it wasn't nearly as impressive (though still safe and beautifully finished). If you do pod you V-sea, you'll certainly gain a bloody good fishing platform.
Good luck with it and we look forward to further updates