PDA

View Full Version : Re power for a Haines hunter 445f Center Console

Jason Dominick
15-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I recently purchased an original Haines 445f Center console with no motor and have the option to purchase a used 2007 60hp Etec or 2007 75hp Etec. Has any body got some advice on witch motor to buy. 60hp weighs 107kg, 75hp weighs 145kg. Any advive would be much apprciated. Thanks Jason.

Jarrah Jack
15-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Either motor would do. Is the fuel tank down the back or underfloor? It gets weighty if the tank battery oil tank and 145 kg motor are all back there. Not an easy decision, it may depend on what loads you are carrying and distances you'll be travelling. I would prefer the 75 if it was me.

STUIE63
15-07-2011, 09:59 PM
the 60 is a 2 cylinder and the 75 is a 3 cylinder and will run a lot smoother because of the extra cylinder

Jason Dominick
15-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for feedback price difference between both motors is $1400.00, swaying towards the 75hp etec, only concerned about the weight?

OPTI
16-07-2011, 07:22 AM
go the 75, you can always move the batteries into the consol to shift weight foward if needed

jeffo
16-07-2011, 07:35 AM
I have a 445r i converted to a 445f. I have a 70hp 2 stroke Tohatsu on mine. about 110kg worth. I also have 75L of fuel at the back. Batteries under the console. Mine would be a touch different to a factory 445f as i put a fair bit more glass in here and there. These little boats do perform much better with 1 pob rather than 2 pob so weight is deffinately a bit of a factor but i dont see 38kg in the engine being to much of a drama to sort out by moving batteries, fuel, fishing gear ect. Depends how fast you like going. Mine does 34 knots with just me, fishing gear and full fuel. about 32knots with an extra person. If you are happy to just cruise along then go the smaller motor.

Willdoe
20-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I have a 146C (14'6") haines half cab, 1979 version. Originally had a 70HP Merc but changed to a 75Merc in 2007. Performance wise its chalk and cheese. Have a 50 litre fuel tank and battery all at the back. I wasn't aware of the motors weight difference until I had it fitted. The problem is when drifting, taking slop over the low transom.

Jason Dominick
29-07-2011, 09:30 PM
My local dealer has given me the option to try the 60hp etec. So the motor is on the boat and I will give it a test run this weekend and if I am not happy they will swap it for the 75hp etec, can't ask for much more than that, so I will post a thread with the outcome.

NAGG
30-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks for feedback price difference between both motors is $1400.00, swaying towards the 75hp etec, only concerned about the weight?

What are you looking at paying for the ETECs ?
without starting a $hitfight ....... the last motor I would be buying is a second hand ETEC - particularly one of the earlier ones as you could end up in for a world of pain.....
Chris

deckie
30-07-2011, 03:40 AM
You're smart to do the research..far too easy to ruin your new ride and be out of pocket.
Tis where a slab and a couple of mates helps. Pick a ramp thats not crowded with a shallow area and take her down with no motor, hull only. Knowing the rough weights of your mates get a cpl to sit side by side perched backwards with their arse on the transom making sure she isnt touching bottom in shallow water (you're on board toward the back end adding your weight too). Remeber as you get out of thole the weight effect can be multiplied.
Roughly motor+fuel load+batt(s) will already weigh 150-200kg or so. PLUS walk down the back like you're fishing. Get someone to take some side on pics with the phone or dig camera so you can check it out. Not exactly accurate but remember the older hulls were never designed for these heavy donks. MANY have been disappointed trying to repower with 4stks or DI's on.

These were not designed to be rocket shops were they ?...75hp of di or 4 stk is a serious bit of weight and just not needed in my opinion, and likely gain little and likely cause grief. If it was say a 2 cyl 60hp 2stk on it, that would've only weighed about 85-90kg. Think also about any mods u might want plus how many normally aboard adding even more weight down back. What u must avoid if u can is getting on the rollercoaster of making modifications simply coz the arse is now too heavy. I'd start by ruling out anything over about 110-120kg. If u want grunt try a 70 2stk yammie at 105kg, if u want 4 stk i;d look at the new suzi 60 at about the same or maybe the bf60 at maybe 110kg. The F70 yammie 4stk at 120kg is already a massive advantage over any etecs power to weight ..which are now seriously heavy as a repower option for older hulls. Dealers will look after you to a certain extent but if u said you;d like a 90 4stk on the back they might still smile at you. Its up to you to check it anyway you can. Perhaps a trip to a local weighbridge is a good start and work out a reasonably accurate weight of the hull first.

My guess is 60hp is well and truly enough...wasnt long ago you couldnt even get close to putting even a 60hp 4 stk without overloading but now its probably fine with the new suzi and honda..or 60etec wnich i thought weighed more so dble check that.

If your missus put on 50kg's around the arse you'd dump her yeah ?..you dont want that feeling with your new rig.

Jason Dominick
30-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi Chris the 60hp 2007, 70 hrs $6500, 75hp 2007, 180 hrs $8000. Spoke to previous owner of the 60hp and he had nothing but praise for the motor, he traded for a new 90hp etec as the 60hp wasn't quite enough power at sea for his 5mtr Stacer with 4 people on board.